No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV pitch

hey guys-

I wrote a 14 page pitch deck for a TV series that a Network read and apparently loves.

The closest thing to it is probably this:

http://www.zen134237.zen.co.uk/Stran...gs_-_Bible.pdf

My document is mostly info on characters, world, tone. I have a one-page overview of the story. Definitely not a beat-by-beat breakdown.

The producers and I have a call next week with the Network (I'm on the East Coast)

I am trying to figure out what the best strategy is. Specifically: do I go in with a super specific angle and have a fully-loaded pitch prepared? e.g. know the beats of my pilot or even the overall arc of the 1st season? Or do I treat it more as a "chat" in which we explore possibilities together and I demonstrate flexibility? (as of today I don't have a beat breakdown though I could probably cook something up before the call)

I am just concerned that by going the "fully-loaded" route they might get put off by some of my most audacious ideas.

I guess it's the equivalent of going on a date and being a tiny bit reserved, in order to score a follow-up date (in this case them commissioning an outline and a pilot), as opposed to laying out my personality much more openly and banking on the fact that my date may or may not love who I really am...

Re: TV pitch

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
    hey guys-

I wrote a 14 page pitch deck for a TV series that a Network read and apparently loves.

The closest thing to it is probably this:

http://www.zen134237.zen.co.uk/Stran...gs_-_Bible.pdf

My document is mostly info on characters, world, tone. I have a one-page overview of the story. Definitely not a beat-by-beat breakdown.

The producers and I have a call next week with the Network (I'm on the East Coast)

I am trying to figure out what the best strategy is. Specifically: do I go in with a super specific angle and have a fully-loaded pitch prepared? e.g. know the beats of my pilot or even the overall arc of the 1st season? Or do I treat it more as a "chat" in which we explore possibilities together and I demonstrate flexibility? (as of today I don't have a beat breakdown though I could probably cook something up before the call)

I am just concerned that by going the "fully-loaded" route they might get put off by some of my most audacious ideas.

I guess it's the equivalent of going on a date and being a tiny bit reserved, in order to score a follow-up date (in this case them commissioning an outline and a pilot), as opposed to laying out my personality much more openly and banking on the fact that my date may or may not love who I really am...

I think [only MY opinion] you answered your own question. Yup, it's exactly like dating. Imagine going on a date and revealing to your date all your FLAWS. Not smart! Chick will learn you're F' up later. After the honeymoon phase. I think meetings are the same, create a honeymoon phase first off, they can bitch and complain later, because they will.

I wouldn't do it.

I'd give them very broad strokes and hope they take over the convo at some point, because if they do take it over, now they have mental equity in the game. Let them make it their idea IMO.

I'd give them as little info as possible. Characters, tone, BIG turns, theme, etc. That's about it. If you give them the entire show it's way easier to pass, because it's way easier to find flaws. Look at what you said "I could cook something up." Oh, ya mean the BAD version?? I wouldn't do it. They're already interested. I used to be terrified of saying "I don't have that part yet." But not no more. Easy to turn it back on THEM "Great question? I don't have that yet. What are your ideas?"

Congrats on the interest!

One dudes dumbass opinion...
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

i'm a nobody, but you could think of it in terms of a drill down approach, where you are prepared to discuss everything, but you start at the highest level, the broadest strokes to start, then as questions are asked you drill down a little deeper without going to the full detail. sort of like a pyramid.

that way you allow the conversation to organically dictate the direction. but i would be totally prepped to answer any and all questions. but leave out "details," use broad strokes.

maybe touch base with your producers to get a vibe from them? it's in their best interests that you do well, too. what i would try to do, is get them to say, "yes," and not make it only a "meet-n-greet." and not leave the conversation until there's a plan on the next step.

that's just me, though.

good luck,
      FA4
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
        I think [only MY opinion] you answered your own question. Yup, it's exactly like dating. Imagine going on a date and revealing to your date all your FLAWS. Not smart! Chick will learn you're F' up later. After the honeymoon phase. I think meetings are the same, create a honeymoon phase first off, they can bitch and complain later, because they will.

I wouldn't do it.

I'd give them very broad strokes and hope they take over the convo at some point, because if they do take it over, now they have mental equity in the game. Let them make it their idea IMO.

I'd give them as little info as possible. Characters, tone, BIG turns, theme, etc. That's about it. If you give them the entire show it's way easier to pass, because it's way easier to find flaws. Look at what you said "I could cook something up." Oh, ya mean the BAD version?? I wouldn't do it. They're already interested. I used to be terrified of saying "I don't have that part yet." But not no more. Easy to turn it back on THEM "Great question? I don't have that yet. What are your ideas?"

Congrats on the interest!

One dudes dumbass opinion...
        Dude I think this is insanely helpful
        You are so right about holding back a little
        I think there is a part of me that feels like I should please them- and thereby expose myself to a lot more criticism.
        It’s silly but that’s basically what it is. It’s a messed up overeagerness (probably stemming from the desire for them to love the project)
        Sometimes the less you try, the more you win. If you sound desperate nobody will **** ya. I guess the key is to wear black and play it cool!
        Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 06-26-2019, 03:40 PM. Reason: Formatting & layout for readability

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post

Dude I think this is insanely helpful
          You are so right about holding back a little
          I think there is a part of me that feels like I should please them- and thereby expose myself to a lot more criticism.
          It’s silly but that’s basically what it is. It’s a messed up overeagerness (probably stemming from the desire for them to love the project)
          Sometimes the less you try, the more you win. If you sound desperate nobody will **** ya. I guess the key is to wear black and play it cool!
          You got it, man! It's my best guess. Agreed, I think the more you play off the desperate vibe, the more you're luring them in. It's like, say you're out with a chick [date], you go hard at her, she thinks you're desperate and creepy. You play it cool, laidback, and she wants to fukk you. No lie, I think that's actually how I learned how to do meetings good finally, I was a hardcore playa for about a year when I was single. Not a (#MeToo) pig just a playa [consensual] having fun dating. I was a closer for sure! LOL

My favorite color is black, you will never see me wear anything but, so no argument there.

Good luck, man!
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Working...
          X