A Need To Adjust Scripts for Realities of COVID-19?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Need To Adjust Scripts for Realities of COVID-19?

We have James Cameron here in NZ at the moment filming the next 3 Avatar movies back to back for some astronomical figure. I've been wondering recent will these be the final mega budget movies?

One you leg the legs out from under the current paradigm and lose the revenue from the theaters the whole set up changes

EXCEPT FOR ONE THING

Is it necessary to promote a VOD feature the same as a cinema feature needs to be promoted? To get bums on seats over the 3 week lifespan of a cinema movie so they can move it along and wedge the next one in Hollywood "needs" to promote the **** out of it. If the same movie is siting on VOD its promotion can be more in house and the release period can be longer to accumulate views so the megabudget marketing campaign can be used for production values.
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

In the UK we're getting 30-second (approximately - I wasn't counting) prime-time TV adverts for Christopher Nolan's TENET which end with: "AUGUST 26th - ONLY IN CINEMAS".

So it seems that ‎Warner Bros. don't think the cinema is entirely dead yet.
      Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
      "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
        In the UK we're getting 30-second (approximately - I wasn't counting) prime-time TV adverts for Christopher Nolan's TENET which end with: "AUGUST 26th - ONLY IN CINEMAS".

So it seems that ‎Warner Bros. don't think the cinema is entirely dead yet.
        We'll see how well it does.
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
          You make good points. I never understood the logic in abdicating huge segments of the US market to chase after, for example, the China market.

There were a number of predictable pitfalls including geo-political.

Hollywood is a 100-year old industry and all industries have a life-death cycle. There are books written about it. In the final stages, there's a tendency to make bad decisions while in a state of denial.
          they were banking on the idea that India/Paki and China with a combined population of 3billion+ would become theatergoers and purchase tickets... this is all based on their economy dramatically improving and them agreeing to purchase our content. It does come to afoot as they reject some of our western culture's conventions... [it's our screenwriting Vietnam ]

I think it has little to do with Hollywood, and more to do about how they get their money... what was it before? Hedge funds and Wall Street? Rich Euros?

anyways, a lot of choices that were made alienated audiences from feature films... if I was to look at trends I would wonder if this is similar to the early 70s when studio system failed and they started making cheap Americana films for untapped demographics...
          Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
            We have James Cameron here in NZ at the moment filming the next 3 Avatar movies back to back for some astronomical figure. I've been wondering recently will these be the final mega-budget movies?
            it is funny how he retrofitted theaters here in the US with 3D projectors and that lasted a year or two...

wonder if they'll start selling 3D Televisions again?
            Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

Comment

Overall quality of films has decreased a lot over the years. Remember when we used to go the video store to pick out the VHS we were going to watch that night, and it was a whole event? We looked forward to the movie. There were no phones or distractions. And now it's like "oh, yeah...just throw that on, it's fine."

Fine?

When did we start settling for fine?

It makes me appreciate the really great films that come out in this era.

As for COVID, this will blow over. Might be a year or two of some weird movies though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post
                Overall quality of films has decreased a lot over the years.
                I doubt that the ratio of quality to crap has ever really changed much, not in any area of human endeavour. (Excluding politics, perhaps.)
                Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...a-ny-governors

"I am the law around this there parts"
                  "Who says so Hoss?"
                  "The Big Four, which backing from the Studios and them SAG peoples."
                  "I'm supposed to have a diversity compliant officer and a COVID compliant officer?"
                  "Or we's gonna shut you down boy."
                  "this here six-shooter says no's."

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                    Meh. At this point I'm convinced that this whole thing is overblown. I could offer more details as to why I think that but I'll leave it alone. Nothing's changed at work at all, except perhaps a few freak outs following a sneeze and buddies helping buddies to get quarantined. I'll admit, however, that at the start I thought this thing was going to be much worse.

I think the film industry will be back to normal within a couple of years tops, at least as far as the pandemic is concerned. Another huge recession will **** it up as well though and that seems to have started already.
                    DDoc, I sent you a PM.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Working...
                    X