X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cho imitating "Old Boy?"

Originally posted by haunted View Post
    I don't doubt that for a second.
    The Times wonders if state inteference actually helped push him over the edge:

Times: Then there were the college girls who reported him to the police for stalking and got him carted off to mental hospital after he sent them shy love messages full of yearning. "By a name, I know not how to tell who I am,- he had written to one of them. He understood literature, he could have thought, while they didn't have the brains to recognise that he was quoting Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.
    The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
      I mean it's no secret, you can brainwash people to think certain ways and certainly to be violent, you need only ask the military. People absorb things, they are not rocks.
      That's not brainwashing. Almost every human being has an innate capacity for violence, they just need the governments approval. Why do you think every modern society has laws and a police force?

Comment

We have a problem here in the U.K. It is a recent phenomena which has become more profound and pronounced with recent events.

It is young black men between the ages of thirteen and twenty years of age stabbing each other and shooting each other.

For the majority of these killers and victims alike, the problem stems from social reasons. The have grown up in a single parent home with no Father around. They have little or no discipline. They come from the Afro-Carribean community. They live in a state of relative poverty with little or no life chances. They do not value the concept of education. Instead, they indulge in animal behavior, join peer groups and their involvement goes to such an extent, that to be a member of such a peer group, means heavy peer pressure is placed upon them to stab or shoot a rival gang member just as an expression of acceptance despite the criminality or social consequences.

Year after year, countless numbers of women have lost their sons, mainly black but some are white too.

It's a mindless waste of human life and the authorities in the U.K. have a big problem on their hands to solve it.

Like I said, it stems from their socialization. No Father around, no strong male influence and they become errant, deviant and criminal, or so it seems...

Still a mindless waste of life whatever way you look at it. Those who are murdered and those who are usually caught and placed with the authorities because invariably, they are caught and then they will spend 20 years in prison and then it's two lives wasted. Sometimes more..

Comment

I'm pretty certain the level of rage in Cho existed long before he ever watched the movie.

If you listen to the video they released he sounds infantile in his reasoning. He sounds like a 3 year old (with the vocabulary of an adult) having a tantrum.

Something happened to him when he was very young and the rage simply compounded over the years.

Normal kids don't suddenly go postal in their 20s because some girl rejected them and/or watching a movie.

Most psychological issues show signs early on -- clearly his family either ignored the behaviorial cues or were powerless to do anything about them.
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
            If you listen to the video they released he sounds infantile in his reasoning. He sounds like a 3 year old (with the vocabulary of an adult) having a tantrum.
            That's also how his stories read.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

What is known is that he was bullied, regularly, in middle school. He was also naturally shy, introverted and very quiet from a young age. The family has said he was diagnosed with autism shortly after they moved to the states.

It's been suggested that he may have been on an anti-depressant, which in the wrong dosage in autism causes a state of agitation. Autism can also cause frontal or temporal lobe seizures, which manifest in aggression and rage.

Maybe it was one thing or three things or twelve things that led to the shootings, but I’m extremely reluctant to even speculate Oldboy contributed in any meaningful way.
              Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

I was bullied in middle school.

I watched movies. Many of them were violent.

I was rejected by girls in college.

I was frequently depressed.

I was an English major.

And the only reason I haven't taken all of you out is . . . I don't know your addresses . . .

Comment

I’d like to add that I’ve been in close contact with three people with autism over the years. The level of their conditions varied and their personalities all very different. One was shy, rarely spoke directly to others, but was pleasant and would often walk around with his fingers in his ears, when he was in sensory overload. One, who I still know today, has occasional tantrums (who doesn’t?), but otherwise is well-adjusted and sociable.

The third one I knew when I was in high school. I was a teacher’s aid and was assigned to help tutor in a learning disabled class for fifth graders. I’m sure I wasn’t qualified to do this. My primary job was to teach math to an autistic boy, but I often had to manage the whole class, because Mr. Name-withheld-to-protect-the-dead would go hide in the teacher’s lounge.

The boy was usually pleasant enough, odd, but nice – except for when he wasn’t understanding what I was ill-equipped to teach, and I was preoccupied with other students. His eyes would get evil and his voice would change and he would tell me things like he was going to kill me or burn my house down.

He scared the **** out of me, when he got that way. I rarely mentioned the episodes to the real teacher, because I was young, stupid and thought I’d done something wrong to provoke it.

Five years later the boy’s skeletal remains were found in a coal bin. It was never concluded whether he fell, jumped or was pushed.

I’m nearly positive he wasn’t into any form of entertainment.

I wouldn't say autism is the definitive answer to what happened at Virginia Tech, but I can see how it might have played a part.
                  Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Working...
                  X