No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spec City

https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/2...t-456660dd965a

Great resource, if you scroll down you will find 2008- 2018 spec sales broken down by categories.

I think he even goes back to 1991 if you search, but that is probably too far for people looking to get a sense of what sells and who is repping them...

Re: Spec City

this is depressing.

in 2018 only 40 specs? the lowest in 27 years.

i read The Beast-- a 2018 Black List spec. pretty good, even if logic doesn't measure up.

3 home invasion, two happen during an alien invasion.
    Last edited by finalact4; 08-28-2019, 12:00 PM.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Spec Script Deals By Year

2009: 67
      2010: 55
      2011: 110
      2012: 99
      2013: 100
      2014: 62
      2015: 55
      2016: 75
      2017: 62
      2018: 40
      Damn, what happened between 2011-13?

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
        this is depressing.

in 2018 only 40 specs? the lowest in 27 years.

i read The Beast-- a 2018 Black List spec. pretty good, even if logic doesn't measure up.

https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/s...y-ebf0eae67476

And it's currently at 21-22 spec deals in 2019.
        I'd be surprised if even 40 deals can be made by the end of this year.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonbaek67 View Post
          https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/s...y-ebf0eae67476

And it's currently at 21-22 spec deals in 2019.
          I'd be surprised if even 40 deals can be made by the end of this year.
          There's a gun in my mouth right now. Just to be clear. LOL

But seriously, WTF is with these numbers. Dismal!
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by brandonbaek67 View Post
            Damn, what happened between 2011-13?
            The world got better!
            I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Cheer up everyone -- this doesn't include all those other deals with Netflix etc that we don't have a chance of getting w/o a spec sale!

But seriously -- there are other deals that happen -- this is spec sales. But there are options and they read your sample, why don't you rewrite this script FOR FREE.

So let's not focus too hard on those exciting numbers because they don't tell the whole story!

Right? Right??

Comment

You make an excellent point: We can all write for FREE for almost ANYONE these days!! (*puts gun back in mouth now that done talking*)

Comment

People always asking "What are you writing now?"

And my answer is always "My suicide note."

I think that sums me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                    People always asking "What are you writing now?"

And my answer is always "My suicide note."

I think that sums me up.
                    HAHAHAHA!!

Comment

If you're a paying member of Done Deal Pro, you have access to details on thousands of script sales over the years. And because you can search by genre, it's a good way to get a look and what's selling, and you can type in "spec" as a search word to limit it to spec sales.

"Done Deal Pro tracks the various script/screenplay, book, treatment, and pitch sales and options made in Hollywood each day as well as internationally. Subscribers are able to search our database of over 20,500 feature film deals and over 10,800 TV deals by title, logline, writer, agent, manager, entertainment lawyer and genre along with the studios or networks, production companies, producers, directors and actors involved with each project. This is an invaluable tool not only for industry professionals but for aspiring screenwriters who want to know each week what material is being set up and with which company, track the latest trends, search for the right representation, see a particular producer's likes, study a reps' deal history, etc. For each individual sale/deal listing, users can click on agency, management firm, law firm, and/or company names for various contact information (as available to us). Done Deal Pro also provides development-related industry news, interviews, a searchable database of screenwriting contests, and contest deadline alerts."

Comment

Tracking this stuff is next to impossible, especially when we don't have access to the terms, financials, etc. We're basically going off of what's in the trades, right?

A fair statement to me is that it's very difficult to sell a naked spec unless it's high concept, genre-y, and the cost isn't prohibitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                          Tracking this stuff is next to impossible, especially when we don't have access to the terms, financials, etc. We're basically going off of what's in the trades, right?
                          Right... and reps like to try to manage what the trades say so that it looks good. I know with a certain deal it was not accurate, it was a bit of PR.

Yup, that's the issue with trying to track. That, and not every sale makes the trades.

It would be interesting to get to see the terms of some of these newer deals.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                            If you're a paying member of Done Deal Pro, you have access to details on thousands of script sales over the years. And because you can search by genre, it's a good way to get a look and what's selling, and you can type in "spec" as a search word to limit it to spec sales."
                            i try to go in at the end of the month to see what's sold each month. it's a good way to see what's moving the needle. invaluable resource.
                            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                              i try to go in at the end of the month to see what's sold each month. it's a good way to see what's moving the needle. invaluable resource.

It is, but for some reason I feel that a lot of people here don't know about it. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Working...
                              X