Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Girls

Anybody catch the season 2 premiere last night? I thought it was a good episode.

SPOILER:

Loved the bit where Marnie and Elijah nearly had sex.

Comment

Just watched it. Loved season one, which felt fresh and unique and really seemed to fill a gap in the marketplace with all of the "beautiful people" nonsense on TV.

That said, Season Two's premier was underwhelming. Trying to figure out why. I think I might have enjoyed meeting these characters and learning about their world more than I enjoy inhabiting it and following them long term. I'll obviously keep watching for now... hopefully it finds a way to really peel back the layers on these characters.

Or I needed an extra bowl rip.

Comment

I adore this series. I actually like how under-whelming it often is.

I love the way the male characters come across, often so petulant and childish.
        Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

This show definitely has very funny moments and is well-written, but the characters exhaust me. It makes me wonder if I have some underlying sexist views because I wonder if they would exhaust me in the same way if it was a show about men.

I basically gave up on this show after the first season because I have a hard time dealing with characters that not only repeat their mistakes and never seem to grow, but also, never seem to self-reflect..at least not in a way that creates any change in behavior. Maybe that's the point to the whole thing and maybe that way is how most real people function, but it's exhausting, I tell you.

Comparing to Sex and the City, all the women struggled with relationships in their own way, but there was a sense that they knew what their flaws were and they tried to cope with them as best they could. I get the sense from Girls that all of the characters blame others for their misfortunes. And, again, maybe that's the whole point of the show, but it's freaking exhausting.

But, then I think, if these were dudes and they had these dating problems because they were womanizers or shallow, would I feel the same way? I'm ashamed to say that I don't think I would because we kind of expect that kind of thing of men. Men can obviously be introspective, but they're often portrayed on television and film as anything but. But then I wonder if that makes me sexist in some way and maybe bringing up those questions to the viewer is the whole point of the show, but it's all too exhausting to even get there really.

I guess I'm sexist and I don't like Girls. There I said it.
          On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Gave up on this last year and gave it a another chance at the start of the new season. The characters seem to set the hook to a greater extent this season and get you buy into them to a larger degree, but after reflection it is more in the vein of watching characters in a reality show train wreck than investing in them like in a show like the Wire. Keeping order in this little universe obviously takes talent, but I keep wondering when the characters (entertaining as they are) start acting like they are at least in high school.

Comment

Originally posted by SI_NYC View Post
              Gave up on this last year and gave it a another chance at the start of the new season. The characters seem to set the hook to a greater extent this season and get you buy into them to a larger degree, but after reflection it is more in the vein of watching characters in a reality show train wreck than investing in them like in a show like the Wire. Keeping order in this little universe obviously takes talent, but I keep wondering when the characters (entertaining as they are) start acting like they are at least in high school.
              Yeah, see, that's exactly how I feel. And I'm sure it's absolutely done on purpose because everything else about the show is done so competently.

Then I think of other shows with basically shallow, self-absorbed characters in them that I love (Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sex and the City, Sam Malone on Cheers, Friends to some extent) and I don't have these same problems.

Maybe it's because Girls plays it more realistically. We know people that act like these characters in real life and most of us are not friends with those people (at least not for the long haul).

There's something about watching Girls that makes my blood pressure go up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Earth View Post
                Yeah, see, that's exactly how I feel. And I'm sure it's absolutely done on purpose because everything else about the show is done so competently.

Then I think of other shows with basically shallow, self-absorbed characters in them that I love (Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sex and the City, Sam Malone on Cheers, Friends to some extent) and I don't have these same problems.

Maybe it's because Girls plays it more realistically. We know people that act like these characters in real life and most of us are not friends with those people (at least not for the long haul).

You see it's the other way around for me. While I certainly don't know anyone with their lifestyle, they do behave in the same way a lot girls I know behave.

I really don't like Jessa though, got a bit of an eye twitch thing going on when she's featured.
                Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

• Re: Girls 1/27 episode

As I whined earlier, the characters personalities have definitely become more interesting in season 2, but aping the same behavior and music of their parents era (disco/techno and coke really) gives the impression that they are not capable of coming up with anything new themselves. I think I liked the first episode more. A little bit of growth or advancement of any kind would lessen the impression that a reality show was cloned.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Earth View Post

I feel the same way and I only saw the pilot. I also love Curb and Seinfeld so i know it's not about whether they're likeable.

The characters are so fortunate in their misfortune, I can't relate to them.
                    writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                    twitter.com/susanlbridges
                    pendantaudio.com

Comment

It could be because so many people had hyped it up and my expectations were so high but I finally watched the pilot last week and my reaction was... meh... I'll give it another try with episode 1.

Comment

The characters are so fortunate in their misfortune, I can't relate to
                        them.
                        Exactly. And, like Mr. Earth, they make my blood pressure go up, too.

Late Night Writer

Comment

I haven't enjoyed the show as much as in the first season. I think I liked it because it felt fresh and new, but as it wore on that new car smell started to dissipate and I quickly realized it was just another Jetta.

The "voice" comes across in a very superficial brand of comedy that can get old quickly, whereas Curb's comedy comes from the deeply skewed worldview of a nutcase, and there's a lot more comedy to mine from that.

I also get legitimately jealous of other guys with Marnie, so maybe that's just my problem.

Comment

Maybe it's that Girls has no voice of reason to identify with (and, again, that could completely be what the show is going for).

In Curb, as crazy as he is, I completely identify with Larry. The crux of the whole show is that every time he acts out, things backfire. If he keeps himself (his enthusiasm) curbed, everything goes along okay, but he just can't let that happen. I can 100% relate to that in my life.

Also, a theory behind ensemble shows (like Sex and the City or Friends) is that the sum of all the main parts creates an ideal person. You add up all the parts from the characters in Girls and you'd still be missing some key ingredients to make one well-rounded, ideal person. Again maybe that's their point, but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

Comment

Anybody watch last night's episode? I thought it was one of the series' best.

Comment

Originally posted by hb7 View Post
                                Anybody watch last night's episode? I thought it was one of the series' best.
                                I would have to respectfully disagree, this one looked like a disjointed reality show script comprised of a bunch of semi-amusing incidents (by NY standards). Unless I am mistaken, another writer (other than Dunham) was credited with this episode, and maybe that is the reason why it doesn't seem as cohesive. Dunham did a great job initially building compelling characters to watch, fortunately that framework saved this episode from making it sound like How to Make it in America.

Comment

Working...
                                X