Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
    Well, let me put it into perspective for you.

I'm at the office from 9/9:30 until 7/7:30 Mon - Fri. I have a lunch every day and drinks after work every night, not to mention all of my other meetings during the week.

Last week I read 6 client scripts, and 9 potential client scripts sent to me from agents or execs around town.

15 scripts = about 20 hours worth of reading, on top of the 65 hours of non reading work during the week. Then add in another 2 to 3 hours to do notes on a clients script (x6 mind you), and I have zero free time.

Of the 9 potential client scripts I was sent, I passed on all of them, and this is with other people saying "read this, it's good".

Take into account how awful most scripts from query letters are, not to mention the legal ramifications it can open me up to should a writer take a trip to crazy town at some point...... and that leaves me only asking for the scripts that I think sound great.

That being said, I am also very open to new writers. I've actually signed a great young writer off of Done Deal (don't ask me who, that person can tell people when they feel the time is right).

Best,

Michael
    After reading this, I'd imagine there is a very high level of burn out. You must have the patience of a saint to read all those queries and scripts, on top of your other work.

My hats off to you...
    The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
      Well, let me put it into perspective for you.
      "Well too much... too much fvcking perspective!"
      @MacBullitt

Comment

Just to add to the perspective. I actually didn't query Michael, he contacted me because of my posts in a certain thread.

I don't know if that's the only reason, but it's still important to remember that our interactions on DDP can lead to something. We should all pay attention to how we portray ourselves on here.

Some might call it luck that Michael noticed me, and that's surely one way of looking at it, but, as they say...

luck = opportunity + preparation

I got the opportunity to submit something to Michael and I was prepared with a spec I was and am proud of.

So it really is true: just write a great script. It's the only thing you can really control. The rest will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
          Just to add to the perspective. I actually didn't query Michael, he contacted me because of my posts in a certain thread.

I don't know if that's the only reason, but it's still important to remember that our interactions on DDP can lead to something. We should all pay attention to how we portray ourselves on here.

Some might call it luck that Michael noticed me, and that's surely one way of looking at it, but, as they say...

<B>
          luck = opportunity + preparation
          </B>
          I got the opportunity to submit something to Michael and I was prepared with a spec I was and am proud of.

So it really is true: just write a great script. It's the only thing you can really control. The rest will follow.
          Also goes to show there's always another way "in." Well done, ATB.
          @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
            Was it this one?

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=66406

Anyway, I start all my posts thinking "What would michaelb say?" so I think I'm next in line.

Congrats, dude! Great news.

Comment

Congrats ATB, Michael has been extremely helpful to all the writers in the forum with his advices. I wish more people in the industry had the same attitude! Good luck to your projects!
              Minds are like parachutes: they only function when open!

Comment

Thanks, foton. Good luck to you, as well...

Comment

Bad idea to query on the weekend, get lost in the shuffle come monday?
                  It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                    Bad idea to query on the weekend, get lost in the shuffle come monday?
                    I get sent them on here all the time and respond whenever I log in, but it is very annoying to be sent them over the weekend to my work email over the weekend (thats just me, but I'd imagine others feel the same way).

Best,

MB
                    twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

What about MIchael after offices hours/before office hours. Is it annoying to wade through stuff to catch on on the AM?
                      Also, what about reading queries through Blackberry/iphone, etc? I'd imagine reading a long query on those devices is like eating chalk.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
                        What about MIchael after offices hours/before office hours. Is it annoying to wade through stuff to catch on on the AM?
                        Also, what about reading queries through Blackberry/iphone, etc? I'd imagine reading a long query on those devices is like eating chalk.

EJ
                        Honesty, it doesn't matter. I get hundreds of emails per day, many that i read on my iPhone. And I have just gotten used to waking up to 4 or 5 query emails every morning so it doesn't bother me.

Best,

MB
                        twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Thanks.
                          It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Hi Michael,

I have a proposal. Why don't you just post in your profile the genres you've been looking for atm (I'm sure most agents/managers have strong bias towards certain genres)? This way you might get X times less queries. And will save the writers the answer "sorry, but it's not for me" (I've got couple of these in the last month).

Comment

Originally posted by fotonchev View Post
                              Hi Michael,

I have a proposal. Why don't you just post in your profile the genres you've been looking for atm (I'm sure most agents/managers have strong bias towards certain genres)? This way you might get X times less queries. And will save the writers the answer "sorry, but it's not for me" (I've got couple of these in the last month).
                              I dunno about the first part of your post, but as for Part II: We need those, to toughen us up. I'm just glad Michael doesn't charge for those.
                              Michealb's PRICE LIST
                              Reading your query: Free
                              Liking your query/requesting your script: Free
                              Rejecting your query: $5

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                                I dunno about the first part of your post, but as for Part II: We need those, to toughen us up. I'm just glad Michael doesn't charge for those.
                                Michealb's PRICE LIST
                                Reading your query: Free
                                Liking your query/requesting your script: Free
                                Rejecting your query: $5
                                Spanking your bottom for a bad script - $25
                                Gentle smile from a pro writer - $5
                                Gentle smile from a pro writer / with notes why u suck - $50

Comment

Working...
                                X