Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Originally posted by Ulysses View Post
    Am I the only one who hasn't? Do I get a medal?

I haven't either, but I will!
    "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by Brice View Post
      Thanks for answering.

I'm also wondering: would you agree with the statement that you should always write your logline before the script so as to be sure the latter delivers on what the former promises?

And finally, any specific advice about how to write an effective logline? I've seen so many guru types preach a particular method, but don't recall hearing from anyone on the business side of things. I try to make my logline contain the protagonist, their goal, the antagonist, and the stakes associated with failure...but maybe this is not a proper approach.
      Always is a pretty stern rule, but I think that it can be very useful/helpful for newer writers to do so.

I don't remember the exact rule, but Save The Cat had a good formula for writing log lines (though I can't say I am the biggest fan of the book).
      twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Thanks, Michael. I haven't read STC in awhile. Guess I should dust off my copy and see what Blake said (something about irony if I recall)...

And Jeremynt: you're right that everyone is different. I just know that when I used to write whatever came to me, it inevitably led to muddled and incoherent scripts. Now I outline down to the smallest detail, because even then I usually change a ton as I go. But I know others who go the opposite route and seem to have success. Whatever works...

Comment

Hi Michaelb,

In your opinion, do you see any genre trends in the studio market for original material of late?

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
            Putting together a good log line is no easy task. I feel a lot of people rush it opposed to really taking their time. Honestly, one thing I do when helping a client write a log line is write it, then walk away from it for a day so I can come back and read it with fresh eyes. Then work on it, take another day away from it and come back. It's a slow process, but you'll get there.
            So true. I also find the "walking away from it" part a necessity -- both for the logline and my sanity.

I like to create a logline document when starting a new script. When I revise or try a new direction for the logline, I skip a line and create a new one. It's very helpful to be able to look back and see how the logline evolves and sometimes reuse an element that got lost in the evolution that may work with a later version.

The logline document for the script I'm currently sending out is over 8 pages, and I'm just now becoming comfortable with the logline.

Originally posted by Brice View Post
            I'm also wondering: would you agree with the statement that you should always write your logline before the script so as to be sure the latter delivers on what the former promises?
            I can't imagine writing a script without first hammering out a "working logline." It not only helps me find the story within the concept, but also saves me a ton of time with story development (beats & cards). Also, I don't fall in love with an "idea" that I think is a "story" and spend time writing only to find out the concept was broken from the start.

I'll also add my thanks to michaelb (especially, for me personally, this thread) for his input and feedback... extremely valuable stuff!
            Last edited by MHS; 03-04-2011, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
              Hi Michaelb,

In your opinion, do you see any genre trends in the studio market for original material of late?

EJ
              Pre branded public domain titles have been hot for a while now. Not sure when that will be over saturated, but it's still in demand now.
              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Pre branded public domain titles have been hot for a while now. Not sure when that will be over saturated, but it's still in demand now.
                Shhh, you're not supposed to be telling this.

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas View Post
                  Shhh, you're not supposed to be telling this.
                  Ha.
                  twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Another piece of advice is to go read some books on how the business works. It's great to understand all the details about screenwriting, but you are trying to get into the Film/Television industries. Learn at least the simple basics about them so you have a better grasp on how things work.
                    twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Another piece of advice is to go read some books on how the business works. It's great to understand all the details about screenwriting, but you are trying to get into the Film/Television industries. Learn at least the simple basics about them so you have a better grasp on how things work.
                      Look, I don't know empirically if this has helped me or not, but I think it has, and feel good and lucky about it ... I read Deadline Hollywood, several other blogs which address writing AND the business, and Script, and Creative Screenwriting, and Filmmaker magazine; and listen to The Business podcast, as well as the Treatment and Creative Screenwriting ... every single episode, every single issue, every single week/month, for years on end, and I would say I pay really close attention to the business...

And when the time came, very recently, for me to start meeting with managers, agents, and development executives, I really felt all the more prepared and "part of the business" for it. There were plenty of very real industry questions and issues which came up that I do feel I was properly prepared for, but don't think that would have been the case if I had not immersed myself in the business side of the industry as heavily as I have for the last several years (whilst I was also writing, of course; but at which time I was also working in an industry completely unrelated to film.)

So I guess I'm just weighing in to say that if you're approaching this seriously as a career, we all know the most important thing is writing your fingers to the bone, getting honest feedback, etc.; but I found it incredibly valuable in my first round of meetings and industry exposure to know various aspects of what they were talking about or referring to, terms, ideas, business practices, and this knowledge helped me make what I think (hope) are the right decisions as well about proceeding with my work ...

So good luck, of course, but IMHO, doing your homework about the business is as important to your overall success as the quality and caliber of your writing ...

Comment

Originally posted by Justin323 View Post
                        and listen to The Business podcast, as well as the Treatment ...
                        Justin, can you elaborate on what these two things are? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post
                          Justin, can you elaborate on what these two things are? Thanks!
                          Local NPR shows about the film industry. On KCRW. Well worth listening to.
                          Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Cool. Thanks.

Comment

The Treatment, indispensable: http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tt

The Business, http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tb

These podcasts are really, really good stuff. And of course, we just lost Jeff Goldsmith's CS podcasts, so until he starts releasing new ones, hie thee to iTunes and download EVERYTHING he's every done.

Also--the Meet the Filmmaker podcast series at the Apple Store, available in iTunes ... more extraordinary interviews with artists about their art and the business and how they forge ahead on both counts ...

To elaborate ever so slightly on my point, I think it's more than just knowing what spec just sold and who just landed an assignment--it's having a holistic, big-picture view of the industry. Though both books are dated now, Peter Biskind's Easy Riders, Raging Bulls is amazing not just for its forensic celebration of the great films and directors of the 70s, but for its insight into the industry; and likewise, his Down and Dirty Pictures. Christine Vachon's books Shooting to Kill and A Killer Life offer extraordinary insight into independent producing and filmmaking; Sharon Waxman's Rebels on the Backlot also comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin323 View Post
                                I would add Martini Shot:
                                http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/ma

Really great show.

Comment

Working...
                                X