Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your rewrite process...

I used to re-read and edit as I go along, but then realised a turd can only get so shiny.

But now I outline so heavily that I'm polishing what I want to keep. I don't want to waste time trying to "find" my story as others do here. Not that that is a bad thing, but you're kidding yourself if you think treading new ground on what is clearly a well worn path.

In detail and in order:

basic logline
    work out ending first
    logline
    synopsis (max 600 words)
    outline based on synopsis.....trash and start synopsis over.
    another outline
    more outlining
    break outline into pieces...write in prose form
    outline again
    outline
    write a placeholder draft..which is a script with sluglines and underneath..one or 2 lines about what is supposed to happen here. It is NOT written narrative or description..just literally....

EXT. FOREST

Simone jogs with her hubbie and we learn about their relationship dynamic.

then from the placeholder draft...write one speed draft of script...if I find I am wading into deep water and slowing down or feel that I am "lost" it's because the outline is not detailed enough. Reverse, back the hell out of the draft and go back to the outline
    speed draft run again. Should be able to do 30 pages a day if outline is thorough.
    read acceptable speed draft
    2 things normally happen at this point, either the draft does not live up to the outline/synopsis or the draft has changed my perceptions of the original concept and I have to consider if what I have got is worth pursuing.
    re-write ad infinitum.

I use Word outline mode btw and use the indent levels to allow me to view everything at different layers.
    Last edited by evolution; 05-24-2011, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X