Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independence Day: Resurgence

Holy sh*t was this bad. Got fond memories of the original, always watch it when it's on TV, a good, fun movie.

I remember a guy came on this site looking for help with some dialogue a few years ago, something along the lines of "General this had better be important, you've dragged me away from a particularly beautiful woman". Someone suggested he go with something less on the nose like "You know what the trouble with thousand dollar an hour hookers is? They're a thousand dollars an hour". This entire movie is made up of lines like the first one. I felt sorry for the actors, it's unbelievable.

Movies really need to start coming with a "tailored for a Chinese audience, your enjoyment may be reduced" warning. And it's not just the dialogue, aspects of the story feel like they've been shaped in a way they might not have been a few years ago.

On the plus side the CGI is generally very good and Brent Spiner's character raises a few laughs.

Re: Independence Day: Resurgence

the original was pretty terrible

Comment

And it took 11 screenwriters to create this mess.
      http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
        Don't give me "terrible." You'd all be dead if it weren't for my David!

Comment

I wonder when people in the US will decide to start looking at the reviews before going to see a big pic like this and stop going.

For me it was the reviews for The Fifth Wave-- really loved the film's concept, but the reviews were bad, so I sat that one out. Almost didn't go to Batman vs Superman.

Daughter and I were going to go ID4 yesterday, and didn't because of the reviews.

How long will it take for the pendulum to swing back? If it ever does.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Yes.

Interesting contrast to another revival, Jurassic World. JW revisited a good-if-not-great original (Jurassic Park) and significantly improved on it, yielding a legitimately great summer movie.

This Independence Day revival, on the other hand, took an awful original and managed to produce something still worse.

Garbage in, garbage out, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
              Don't give me "terrible." You'd all be dead if it weren't for my David!

See also, "Didn't you ever want to be part of something special?", "I was part of something special.".

Whatever you thought of the original it's in a different league from the sequel. Sadly I think chasing the Chinese audience will mean fewer blockbusters Western audiences can really enjoy.

Comment

The original always generates very polarized reactions -- It's still 63% on RT. I actually really like it, despite some of the b-movie aspects. When I first saw it in theatres, it was the first film that visually blew my mind. Something that literally can't happen anymore.

It's interesting: for similar reasons, a lot of my friends think Titanic was equally God awful. I mean, unwatchable "Jack & Jill" type crap.

I think if you let yourself "fall" for the unrealistic blockbuster nature of these films, you're much more likely to enjoy them. But as ID4 2 shows, there's always a limit.
                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                  And it took 11 screenwriters to create this mess.
                  According to IMDB, that's total credits. Five writers are credited with the screenplay.

But you know Hollywood has a problem when us nubs can generate equally interesting story ideas. According to the writing teachers, great stories / films are ones we CAN'T envision unfolding any other way.

For eg. I honestly hoped when I first heard of a sequel that the story might revolve around harvesting their crashed technology to venture out into the stars in search of their origins. It would take the franchise in a completely fresh direction.
                  I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                    It's interesting: for similar reasons, a lot of my friends think Titanic was equally God awful. I mean, unwatchable "Jack & Jill" type crap.
                    They're right.

I, no joke, walked out of that film. Walked out -- couldn't stand it.

I think if you let yourself "fall" for the unrealistic blockbuster nature of these films, you're much more likely to enjoy them. But as ID4 2 shows, there's always a limit.
                    It was actually the crass, over-the-top-blatant propaganda of these films (Titanic and the ID flicks) that stuck in my craw and rendered them unwatchable. Blockbusters per se can be great, unrealistic or not.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                      Yes.

Interesting contrast to another revival, Jurassic World. JW revisited a good-if-not-great original (Jurassic Park) and significantly improved on it, yielding a legitimately great summer movie.
                      I liked Jurassic Park and thought JW was thoroughly mediocre. There's just something about it... maybe it's how absurd some parts of the story was: Like the lax security for the Super Rex (forgot its name) or how the good guys didn't guess that the Super Rex was part Raptor, or how the girl could outrun the T-rex at the end. Generic paint by numbers movie that won't stand the test of time compared to the original.

I also enjoyed ID4. It's B-grade, but iconic and the special effects were top notch for its time. Just the right mix of CGI and live action IMO.

But after hearing the horrible reviews of IDR, I won't be watching that in theaters.

Comment

I enjoyed the original as a guilty pleasure when released and was all set to go see this one expecting more of the same, but the poor reviews have put me off. From the trailers it struck me as basically Robotech. Speaking of which, now that I would see in a heartbeat.

Comment

They should have been more up-front and titled it ...

CHINDEPENDENCE DAY: REGURGENCE
                          Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                          "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

For eg. I honestly hoped when I first heard of a sequel that the story might revolve around harvesting their crashed technology to venture out into the stars in search of their origins. It would take the franchise in a completely fresh direction.
                            That could have been a great sequel.
                            "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                            ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
                              That could have been a great sequel.
                              But that sounds more like Interstellar 2. Completely different from ID4 which was an alien invasion story.

Too bad China is in the picture now. The trailer didn't even hint at that.

Comment

Working...
                              X