Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Soloist Trailer

A schizophrenic (Jamie Foxx), is a homeless musician from Skid Row, Los Angeles who dreams of playing at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Through "chance," he meets a journalist (Robert Downey Jr.), who tries to help this mentally disturbed man get "back on his feet" and make his dreams come true.

Based on a true story

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/thesoloist/
    @TerranceMulloy

Re: The Soloist Trailer

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
    A schizophrenic (Jamie Foxx), is a homeless musician from Skid Row, Los Angeles who dreams of playing at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Through "chance," he meets a journalist (Robert Downey Jr.), who tries to help this mentally disturbed man get "back on his feet" and make his dreams come true.

Based on a true story

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/thesoloist/
    I think this looks really good. I like Wright, he's a great director. Robert Downey is great in everything. Jamie Foxx is good. The story looks a little cliche but I think it'll be really good.

Comment

i'm interested to see how this film does. i havent heard anybody talking about it. something i'd go to see with a chick.
      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Right now 53% on RT.

Comment

It covers common territory but I guess folks can use a good heartfelt tale every now and then (esp. now). Could be Foxx's best yet.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
            It covers common territory but I guess folks can use a good heartfelt tale every now and then (esp. now). Could be Foxx's best yet.
            Hard to beat 'Ray'.

Comment

Not getting good reviews and it's already been delayed a couple of times. They're advertizing the heck out of it, so it should do well opening weekend.

But it has two good actors, a good director and a good screenwriter... so maybe the critics are being too picky (sometimes they dislike movies that make them cry because that means they are not in control and dispassionate... as critics are supposed to be).

I wonder if LA Times is going to rerun the Lopez columns? Hmm, are they searchable online?

- Bill
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

This looks like a wonderful film. Jamie Foxx was on Letterman last night-gave a terrific interview btw. Seems he put a lot of work into character study for this role and spoke with affection when referrng to Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal of Lopez. I imagine they'll both give Oscar-winning performances.

roscoe, not sure I agree with you about covering 'common ground'. Can you be more specific?
                si

Comment

After reading some articles, I was very surprised at how much of the "truth" was changed to fit a movie storyline. You expect that to some extent, especially a movie dealing with historical events, but this is quite jarring.

I think that's the reason the writer and director were so forthcoming, as with something this recent, you can't exactly hide behind the choice to insert fictional elements.

Comment

Originally posted by theblondewritr View Post
                    This looks like a wonderful film. Jamie Foxx was on Letterman last night-gave a terrific interview btw. Seems he put a lot of work into character study for this role and spoke with affection when referrng to Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal of Lopez. I imagine they'll both give Oscar-winning performances.

roscoe, not sure I agree with you about covering 'common ground'. Can you be more specific?
                    There was a Josh Harnett/Samuel L. Jackson film with a concept similar to this one. If memopry serves, Jackson played a washed up boxer. And besides that, it is the oft told Down On His Luck Guy Who Makes Good tale. Nothing wrong with that as long as it presents a fresh spin and teaches us something new.
                    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

pretty bad weekend for this movie.
                      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Timing may be to blame.
                        "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                        -Maya Angelou

Comment

i agree with that. january or december may have been better.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Just saw this last night. Downey was very good, but would have preferred a latino actor portraying Lopez. On the other hand, the film might have not been made without Downey's star power. Foxx does plays Nathaniel convincingly, although half the time I couldn't understand what was coming out of his mouth. Anybody else see this?

Comment

Yeah. It's a shame we don't have a Latino actor as a strong (or even decent) box office draw. I'm sure Miguel Ferrer would've done an outstanding job.
                              - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Working...
                              X