Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this movie...?

I doubt anyone will know what movie I'm talking about but here goes. I saw this maybe 10 years ago - either on IFC or Sundance - and it was a documentary about this amateur filmmaker living in Los Angles in the 1980's who pumped all his money into making some shitty film (that everyone thought was terrible), while having his entire life crumble around him. He lost everything until finally, penniless, he goes to Vegas to try to come up with enough money to finish the film. Afterwards, then goes to his hotel room, turns on the camera and, as it turns out, won 2X more than he needed. He then puts a gun to his head and kills himself.

I know, fun movie, right? But it was a fascinating account of how obsession can drive us over the edge (much like the Troy Duffy documentary).

Does anyone know this movie? My google'ing skills have reached their limit.

Re: What's this movie...?

Films about suicide

Documentary films about suicide

Happy hunting.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

"Dream of Heaven's Gate Spec"?

Comment

It's probably not the same guy, but do a Google search for Palmer Rockey. The tl;dr on Rockey is that he directed a years-in-the-making DIY movie, threw a heavily publicized world premiere for it somewhere in Texas circa 1980, then disappeared in shame after everyone who saw it agreed that it was pretty much the biggest disaster in film history.

Comment

Originally posted by omovie View Post
          I doubt anyone will know what movie I'm talking about but here goes. I saw this maybe 10 years ago - either on IFC or Sundance - and it was a documentary about this amateur filmmaker living in Los Angles in the 1980's who pumped all his money into making some shitty film (that everyone thought was terrible), while having his entire life crumble around him. He lost everything until finally, penniless, he goes to Vegas to try to come up with enough money to finish the film. Afterwards, then goes to his hotel room, turns on the camera and, as it turns out, won 2X more than he needed. He then puts a gun to his head and kills himself.

I know, fun movie, right? But it was a fascinating account of how obsession can drive us over the edge (much like the Troy Duffy documentary).

Does anyone know this movie? My google'ing skills have reached their limit.
          I saw this but can't remember the name. Wasn't the documentary a mockumentary and the suicide fictional?

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Working...
          X