No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Use Scrivener?

hey all:
    using Scrivener to outline a new project and keep all my research in one file. everything was working fine until i added images into the reference pages. now it locks up every few minutes.

anyone use it and have this problem? any suggestions?

thanks,
    FA4
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Re: Anyone Use Scrivener?

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    hey all:
    using Scrivener to outline a new project and keep all my research in one file. everything was working fine until i added images into the reference pages. now it locks up every few minutes.

anyone use it and have this problem? any suggestions?

thanks,
    FA4
    Hi. Yes, I have Scrivener’s latest versions for PC and for Mac. It's more than likely that your images’ file sizes are too large. That would consume a healthy part of Scriveners’s ‘brain space.’

If possible, remove the images and scale them down or change their extensions by saving them as a file of another type. PNGs work well for me, and so do small JPEGs.

If you must have these images and you have no way to resize them, then PM me and we’ll exchange info so that I can put them through Photoshop for you and make them smaller file sizes but still at a decent screen-viewing size.

Indeed, I do know precisely how just the right photo can perfectly represent what a writer is striving for to inspire their words in the writing of their project. Put another way, “A picture is worth a thousand words.”
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 11-18-2018, 10:00 AM.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I was trying to use Scrivener about three years ago. Great program, and I keep wanting to take it up again. Unfortunately, it is complicated to an ungodly degree. But still a great application.

As for the graphics, TigerFang is probably right about the size of the graphics.

If you are using Windows, here is a good solution.

The pictures in Scrivener are for reference, usually, I think. They are not supposed to be final, high-resolution graphics.

So you need to reduce the byte size of the graphics. The reduction in quality is minimal. A good way to do this, if you are using Windows:

Download the free IrfanView graphics program, and the plugins. This is a simple process. Install the program and then install all the plugins. You may get some kind of alert about whether you really want to install the plugins, because this will change some file associations. Just go ahead and do it. You are doing this so that you will have a particular plugin that reduces file size. (You can always change your file associations back to something else if you want, but I try to stay away from the default Microsoft file associations for graphics, since MicroScrew wants you to use its own crappy software for everything.)

Now open a graphic in IrfanView.

Under FILE select SAVE FOR WEB. What this does is to reduce the file size by a lot.

If you are using a Mac, then ... well, shitt.

Let us know how you solve the problem. We would like to know!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

thanks, Tigerfang, looks like the size is the huge problem. i pasted the images in other pages within scrivener and those pages don't lock up. it was cell phone screen shots that caused the problem. have a lot of screenshots from cell phone.

went from 700kb to 230mb.

comicbent, damn, i am using a mac... well, shitt.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
          comicbent, damn, i am using a mac... well, shitt.
          It doesn't matter if you have a Mac, IF you use an online service. I normally wouldn't use these since I have Photoshop, but for images for a script you should be. Do a very quick Google search and you will find some.

Here is one, for example, that does 20 images at a time, it appears:

https://imagecompressor.com/

If you really get in trouble, drop me an email.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

finalact4: Here's a nice tutorial link from the Scrivener website to help you with adding images to text.

In addition, here's a heady, nerdy, mind-numbing discussion on points and pixels from a Literature & Latte thread about image size (yes, boys and girls, size matters!).

Although there are great differences between them, your platform (Mac versus PC) makes virtually no difference these days where images are concerned. In manipulating the programs, there's definitely a difference, but PCs are coming along nicely.

My advice is for you to follow your will, and my other advice is for you to follow Will.

Comment

Last note on images in Scrivener: In Scrivener, go to the "Help- menu and choose "Scrivener Manual.-

Once the manual opens, go to Chapter 15.5 on "Inline Images- and read to your heart's content. The chapter details everything about importing images into your text.

(In that chapter they describe using graphics saved as PDFs for the most efficient and smallest file sizes. Write on.)

Comment

I ran a test on one graphics file (a .png) that was well over 100K. One file ... Great scientific study, huh?

Making a PDF with commercial software cut the file size down to 21K.

Saving with IrfanView ("Save for Web") converted the file to a .jpg with a size of 20K.

So PDF/IrfanView gave the same result.

However, be aware that one PDF is not the same as another PDF of the same file. Some programs convert to PDF very efficiently; others do not.

For Windows users, I would still recommend IrfanView. Free, been around forever, gets updated, and is easy to use.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Working...
                X