Alex Cox defends sharing of his old scripts...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alex Cox defends sharing of his old scripts...

There are two ways that immediately come to mind for the Hollywood studios to monetize this system --

1. You can purchase a single shooting script for a flat fee. It's straightforward, but would be akin to the DVD/Blu-Ray model where buyers only purchase what they really want.

2. For $7.99/month (or $80/yr) you can join a virtual online library, setup by the studios, that has an expanding amount of scripts. You can view the scripts, however you cannot download/screenshot/etc them. This would be akin to the Netflix model, which would provide access, but the membership must be maintained. -- Scriptflix

While I know that scripts should be free, let's be honest the studios aren't going to let that happen. I could whip some up financials if there is any real interest.
    "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

I don't think enough money is there for any studio take selling screenplays seriously.

I suppose a motivated and innovative person could work a deal with the studios. Handle all of the work and split the profits.

Who's in?
      Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by mge457 View Post
        There are two ways that immediately come to mind for the Hollywood studios to monetize this system --

1. You can purchase a single shooting script for a flat fee. It's straightforward, but would be akin to the DVD/Blu-Ray model where buyers only purchase what they really want.

2. For $7.99/month (or $80/yr) you can join a virtual online library, setup by the studios, that has an expanding amount of scripts. You can view the scripts, however you cannot download/screenshot/etc them. This would be akin to the Netflix model, which would provide access, but the membership must be maintained. -- Scriptflix

While I know that scripts should be free, let's be honest the studios aren't going to let that happen. I could whip some up financials if there is any real interest.
        All of that is kind of irrelevant, given that screenwriters already have the right to publish their scripts, online for free, or in book form for profit, or in any other way they wish. The WGA already took care of this. It's in the MBA. (For scripts where the writers have separated rights, anyway.)

A more interesting question is why so few screenwriters take advantage of that right. A few writers, e.g. John August, make their screenplays available online or in ebook form, but the vast majority of writers evidently can't be bothered. (Perhaps some kind of organized publishing exchange or system could help motivate writers.)

Comment

Originally posted by mge457 View Post
          I could whip some up financials if there is any real interest.
          That would be awesome. do that. Also, I really like Ven diagrams. Do some of those too.

Comment

We need schematics.
            Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Working...
            X