Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do you think you are gonna make it?

Originally posted by R.D. Wright View Post
    Good grammar are helpful, too.....
    It was a typo. I type fast and don't reread most of the long replies I post... just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKid View Post
      It was a typo. I type fast and don't reread most of the long replies I post... just sayin'.
      I know.....And I'm just playin'....

I agree with you that luck is always a factor.....But it's never the only factor.

Still waiting to get lucky.
      "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Yea, I assumed you were.

Exactly, I don't think you should just let yourself be guided by the stars or something. There is a lot you can do to improve your chances. However, part of the equation you have no control over. With enough determination and persistence most people can probably overcome this "luck" barrier... but it's still there.

It's like getting a royal flush or pocket aces in poker, but much (MUCH) harder. I think you have a 1/212 chance to get AA... well, just think of all the damn variables that need to come together to break in and then be successful--a lot more than 2 like getting AA in Hold 'Em.

Now, the thing is, you can control some of the cards you are able to get with regards to screenwriting, but some things you can still never control.

Comment

Yea, I assumed you were.

Exactly, I don't think you should just let yourself be guided by the stars or something. There is a lot you can do to improve your chances. However, part of the equation you have no control over. With enough determination and persistence most people can probably overcome this "luck" barrier... but it's still there.

It's like getting a royal flush or pocket aces in poker, but much (MUCH) harder. I think you have a 1/212 chance to get AA... well, just think of all the damn variables that need to come together to break in and then be successful--a lot more than 2 like getting AA in Hold 'Em.

Now, the thing is, you can control some of the cards you are able to get with regards to screenwriting, but some things you can still never control.
          I see what you're saying and I agree that luck can be a big factor. It reminds me of a story I heard about a particular screenwriter. Apparently he was struggling and thinking of quitting the business. Then he got a call from Clint Eastwood. Eastwood had read his script and wanted to do it. Boom. IN THE LINE OF FIRE gets made and earns truckloads of cash. The writer goes on to a successful career.

I like this story because I think it illustrates the roles of luck and skill in this game. It took skill for the writer to create the good script, but if his material didn't resonate with one of the few stars who was perfect for the lead role then the project might not have happened.

So yea, there's luck involved, but it seems like most of the people who achieve sustained success in this business create their own luck through excellence. The runaway success of THE DEPARTED and LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE started with scripts that were good enough to get people on board. So while the writers on those projects were lucky in the sense that everything came together perfectly for them, there would be no success story if they hadn't written the great script in the first place.

Comment

I have the soundtrack for FAME, and I know every word to the theme from LAVERNE & SHIRLEY. I'm a rare talent that only comes along once every 10 minutes in the Film Biz.

Seriously, I love the challenge of entertaining audiences and readers. Anybody ever milked a cow before? I have. It takes patience and a willingness-nay, a desire-to get your hands dirty to milk that cow.

Over-thinking and over-analyzing severs body from mind...I'm going to 'make it' because I love writing. Three things in life you never give up on: Motion Pictures, your family, and yourself(as in, doing the things you love doing in your life). A great creative mind CANNOT cope with their life if they shut that door on themselves...no way, Jose Cuervo. No way.

sigpic

Comment

I'm going to make it because not only do I have a superiority complex, I actually AM better than you.

Back in reality, I actually don't think I will make it, but I'm not letting that stop me from trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
                16 DAYS TO ENTER YOUR SHORT IN THE MOTEL MACABRE WRITING CONTEST!

Nobody wants to enter my shorts...trust me.

If I put them in the contest, they'd win pants-down. I mean, hands-down.

Comment

I'm not saying it's just luck. I'm just saying that's a huge part of it.
                  Yes, it is. Still, chance favors the prepared mind.

Comment

I like to think I'm gonna "make it" because I have no other alternative. Besides, when I'm older ( assuming I live that long ) I don't want to regret never having tried my very best to achieve my life goals.

Comment

Those pictures I was talking about earlier?

I was in them too.

With the sheep.

And Jerry Bruckheimer.

Jerry was just holding the sheep...
                      If you really like it you can have the rights
                      It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

I'm going to hopefully make it tonight in the hot tub with the artist who lives three houses down. Fall is a great season to make it in the hot tub.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by creativexec
                          As an addendum: Producers wanted to make the movie with Tom Cruise in the lead. But with a young star in the role (that eventually went to Eastwood), the Kennedy backstory would have to be omitted. Jeff felt the backstory was the heart and soul of the narrative. As a result, he passed on the offer. It wasn't until much later that the script fell into Eastwood's hands and Jeff Maguire's career took off.

You see what's going on here? You can chase dollars or concentrate on integrity. I pass judgement on neither. Horses for courses.

But I bet the suits were spitting feathers when Jeff passed on Tom Cruise. I can envisage an Ari Gold meltdown.
                          http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Why do I think I'm going to make it?

Because I'm cuddly and silly.

Also, I like to write stuff that makes people squirm.

And people love to squirm.
                            Last edited by Ralphy W; 10-26-2007, 04:52 PM.
                            "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

I will rewrite my script one. More. Time.

And it will be better than it was before. And someone will love it, because it will be really good.

And I will bloody well get this done this weekend.

And I will do it again next weekend if I need to.

That is why I'm going to make it.

Comment

Why am I going to make it?

Because I'm not Troy Duffy.

Comment

Working...
                                X