Possible to "move forward" with a 7 on the blcklst?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to "move forward" with a 7 on the blcklst?

I recently finished an hour long pilot script that I'm pretty happy with. I uploaded it to the blcklist and paid for an evaluation. It received a 7.

In quest of the ever elusive "8" rating, I paid for two more evaluations.

My question is, how can I leverage a score of 7 to my advantage? Would you guys recommend waiting for the other evaluations to come in?

Should I start sending queries? Is it amateurish to select praise from the blcklst review and put it in the query? Should I link to the script in the email so that it gets traffic on the site?

I know 7 isn't a phenomenal score, but I believe in what I've written and have no one to turn to for this sort of advice. Hoping to hear from someone who has experience in the industry but of course any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks for reading!

Re: Possible to "move forward" with a 7 on the blcklst?

Just query. Don't put quotes from someone they don't know. The black list isn't the be all end all everyone seems to have been brainwashed into thinking it is.

Comment

If you think the review is positive enough, you could include a pull quote or two from it in a query email.

I know of people who have done this with success.

Comment

I don't think you can "leverage" it, really. Up to you if you want to include positive coverage or link to the site for ease of a person accessing it should they choose. Nothing amateurish to doing so.

But your logline is what is going to get you read. Query away, because if sit and wait on the BL, you could be waiting a verrry long time. Additional scores from paid reviews may come in lower for all you know, and unsolicited downloads by pros are not exactly like fish jumping in the boat on the site.

Comment

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
          Just query. Don't put quotes from someone they don't know. The black list isn't the be all end all everyone seems to have been brainwashed into thinking it is.
          Don't think it's the be all end all, but surely it's better than not being vetted in any way at all, right?

Comment

Some people seem to be having luck cherry picking the positive quotes and including them in the query, but keep it short.

Comment

Nitrohawk - I've had a 7 (and worse) on the BL. I cherry picked good comments and made it part of my query. While I got read requests - hard to say if the BL helped. It certainly didn't hurt. Not once was I asked what my BL score was or for a link to the script on the BL (wouldn't have had one - took it down).

Comment

Thanks Rob. I sent four queries today with a short comment from the evaluation and got a read request. I agree it seems to not be doing any harm.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                  If you think the review is positive enough, you could include a pull quote or two from it in a query email.

I know of people who have done this with success.
                  I'm curious: how would this be cited in the email query? Id est, would you pull the quote and then write "- The Blacklist"? Or "- blcklst.com"?

I'm assuming you don't just say "A guy at the Blacklist reviewed it and said [such and such]!"

Comment

Originally posted by RobWriter View Post
                    Nitrohawk - I've had a 7 (and worse) on the BL. I cherry picked good comments and made it part of my query. While I got read requests - hard to say if the BL helped. It certainly didn't hurt. Not once was I asked what my BL score was or for a link to the script on the BL (wouldn't have had one - took it down).
                    Why not just make up fake quotes?

Comment

Yeah I had the quote and then - evaluation from blcklst.com

Comment

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
                        Why not just make up fake quotes?
                        Not my cup of tea - but I'm sure it's been done.

Comment

A 7 should be enough to put you in top scripts for the week or month or year as compared to the other scripts. I think the Blacklist community average is 5.6. I'm on Blacklist and received an 8 but also received some 7s and 6s. I just said in the query that I was in the top-ranked scripts for my genre for the month (which was true, I was number 3) and then I cherry picked a quote. I've sent out 10 queries and received 5 responses to read and 2 nice notes saying that it was outside their budget. I'm new to this, but I think it was an effective approach.

Comment

Ava,

Impressive ratio for your read requests! I've only got the one score, so I need more evaluations to show up on those lists.

I've bought some more reviews. Hopefully I get some good scores so I can use your strategy. It definitely seems to be working for you!

Comment

Working...
                            X