Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should I do?

I know somewhere this has been discussed before but I can't find it.

Anyway, a co-owner of a production company recently responded to a query logline saying the story "sounded interesting" and requested the script.

I sent it a couple of weeks ago and since then have made some enhancements that I believe makes it a lot stronger.

Now what do I do?

Would I piss him off by sending an email that aks if he hasn't read the script yet would he mind me sending a better version?

Or, should I just figure what's done is done and move on?

Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited by Logliner; 03-12-2009, 04:43 AM.
    The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense - Tom Clancy

Re: what should I do?

This is a tough one. I've actually been there before. You do run the risk of appearing amateur, which means your script could fall even lower on the weekend read list.

Ask yourself this question, has the story significantly changed? If you've added a witty scene, that's fine, but not enough reason to email a revision. If your script is purchased, there will be a period of development where you can say well since I sold the script, I've punched up a few sections. Then you look like a writer that's on top of things.

If you have made a significant change, like a character dying, or total plot change, then it gets a little trickier. Because if they buy the script, they will buy the version you sent. Again, you could bring up the suggestion in development, but by then it might be too late.

It's a risk, so only do it if it's really worth it.

Good luck.

Comment

I've done the same mistake. Some of the managers/agents replied back and said sure send it over if you think it IS REALLY that better. But from some I never heard back again.

Since then, if I have a newer draft I carry on with my submissions elsewhere UNLESS the newer draft has won a competition.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

I'd wait until you found out what he thought of the draft you sent. Obviously, you were confident enough in the script to send it out. Just follow up and see if he read it. If he has and liked it, then see if he'll meet and you can discuss the changes you made with him in person.

Comment

Let it go, Logliner. If you hear back, mention the changes if they like it. But for now, don't follow up with a request to send a new draft. I don't think it will reflect too well on your confidence in your script, which will carry over to the producer. What I did in a similar situation was, I got a call from a manager who liked the script and had some notes. I said I was all game to make whatever changes he thought would improve the script. We took it one step at a time from there.
          www.screenwritersleague.com

Comment

Working...
          X