How do YOU possibly watch all the movies you want?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do YOU possibly watch all the movies you want?

This is a subject I've been noticing that is becoming a problem for myself and maybe for some of you. I love movies. We all do. I know it's impossible to see every decent film out there. I figure with the internet, Netflix, theaters and anywhere else, that you can maybe see 70-80% of all good films in a given year, but even then, that's a stretch.

But now, my movie catalog is growing... out of control!!! I have over 200 films still that need to be watched, along with another 300-400+ on a list to watch in the future, whether it's coming out soon, or in the next 6-12 months. And the list keeps growing and growing. I figure it grows by about 10-20 new movies a month that get added to my list.

For now, I know out of those 200 films and the other 400, maybe 25-50% will be good enough, but I'm having a hard time trying to watch them all, as sometimes I take a few weeks off or 2 months off watching movies, cuz it does get stale and boring after a while, but something inside of me tells me I MUST watch these films, even if for a few minutes to make sure they're good. I can't fathom missing a great film as I'm sure all of you know is an amazing experience to have.

Am I trying to watch too many movies? How do you all try and watch the most you can while keeping busy with other life activities? Do I have a problem?

I've thought of ideas, such as watching only Oscar-nominated films, watching 50% or higher Rotten Tomato rated films, but every idea I have will always let those hard to find movie experiences slip through the cracks. I wish I could be that type of person who will only watch a favorite genre, or style or theater only movies, or indie movies only, but I'm not, when I sense a great story or piece of art in film, I need to see it, even if I know it's probably gonna suck.

Is there anybody else out there with a similar viewing habit? What ideas or rules do you follow in what you watch?

Re: How do YOU possibly watch all the movies you want?

I don't.

My watchlist has grown to well over 500 films.

Comment

With a finger on the fastforward button.
      I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

"How do YOU possibly watch all the movies you want?"

Speed-viewing, (like FoxHound says), but with speed-reading, (as I watch a lot of foreign language films that have subtitles).
        JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

There's such thing as watching too many films. I know I've done it. If you consider watching films part of your education, you need to pace them so you have time to think about them, maybe discuss them your friends. Some you'll want to watch again. Some you'll want to go farther and maybe read essays about them, or interviews with the filmmakers, maybe a book or two.

I've devoted whole chunks of my life to watching as many films and tv shows as possible: 3-4 movies a day, or a season in a couple of days, for weeks. I just couldn't take it all in, it was fun while I was watching but very little remained afterwards. Even when I've dialed it down to one movie every day, or just a few tv episodes, it can sometimes feel like too much. I've figured that if the film is good enough, it's worth a couple of days to think about it, read about it and/or watch it again; and if the film isn't good enough, then I probably won't watch it in the first place (or quit watching it after a while.)

You can't read all books worth reading, and you can't watch all movies worth watching. But don't think you're missing out unless your goal is just that: watching all the movies worth watching. If your goal is becoming a screenwriter or filmmaker of some kind, be sure you aren't using movies as an excuse to procrastinate. I know I've done that too, way too often.

I'm still doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
            With a finger on the fastforward button.
            That's cheating. Experience it the way it was meant to be or don't watch at all.

Comment

I have 21 movies on DVD on my list still to be watched. And an additional 8 films that are either in theaters or were recently but aren't on video yet.

I think there are many on this list I'll never end up seeing, even though I want to.

Comment

Yeah, it's not easy. I also like watching documentaries, like BBC and discovery, i used to keep on top of it but now i'm like years behind.

Comment

to add to what Dr. Vergerus said,

it's a waste of time to watch every single movie you can think of. Do you think musicians listen to every single piece of music out there?

no. They listen to what's important. At least that's my opinion.

I focus on what's important. And usually that's the good stuff. sometimes failures too.

Comment

Buy some exercise equipment (like weights, exercise bike, cardio machine)

I watch a lot of movies while riding the exercise bike. I just slide the bike in front of the tv, and watch, enjoy, and sweat. I don't even have to pedal fast.

I burned over 3000 calories watching Gone With The Wind. No joke.

Comment

I find that unemployment helps.

Also, I have this, which aids in my movie watching substantially: http://www.cineworld.ie/unlimited/intro

Comment

Originally posted by Banjaxed View Post

Also, I have this, which aids in my movie watching substantially: http://www.cineworld.ie/unlimited/intro
                        Unemployment helps me as well. Go figure.

And TCM.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodyBigfoot View Post
                          I burned over 3000 calories watching Gone With The Wind. No joke.
                          That's kind of awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by dog678 View Post
                            This is a subject I've been noticing that is becoming a problem for myself and maybe for some of you. I love movies. We all do. I know it's impossible to see every decent film out there. I figure with the internet, Netflix, theaters and anywhere else, that you can maybe see 70-80% of all good films in a given year, but even then, that's a stretch.

But now, my movie catalog is growing... out of control!!! I have over 200 films still that need to be watched, along with another 300-400+ on a list to watch in the future, whether it's coming out soon, or in the next 6-12 months. And the list keeps growing and growing. I figure it grows by about 10-20 new movies a month that get added to my list.

For now, I know out of those 200 films and the other 400, maybe 25-50% will be good enough, but I'm having a hard time trying to watch them all, as sometimes I take a few weeks off or 2 months off watching movies, cuz it does get stale and boring after a while, but something inside of me tells me I MUST watch these films, even if for a few minutes to make sure they're good. I can't fathom missing a great film as I'm sure all of you know is an amazing experience to have.

Am I trying to watch too many movies? How do you all try and watch the most you can while keeping busy with other life activities? Do I have a problem?

I've thought of ideas, such as watching only Oscar-nominated films, watching 50% or higher Rotten Tomato rated films, but every idea I have will always let those hard to find movie experiences slip through the cracks. I wish I could be that type of person who will only watch a favorite genre, or style or theater only movies, or indie movies only, but I'm not, when I sense a great story or piece of art in film, I need to see it, even if I know it's probably gonna suck.

Is there anybody else out there with a similar viewing habit? What ideas or rules do you follow in what you watch?
                            I was in the same boat as you, until I realized I was being dumb.

Netflix only carries mainstream stuff.

Watch something the same day you hear about it. Do not read a synopsis or reviews. Just get ahold of it and view it asap. There is no rational reason to discriminate what you will and won't watch. Blindly picking films is the best way to find what you really like/hate most about cinema, and it is educational.

I use a media player with a USB input. My internet connection downloads movies at 5mb/s. I dl them to a portable hard drive, plug the hard drive into the media player, hook media player up to tv. This way I can have a movie that I see on my computer up and running on my 42" TV in less than 10 minutes. Without having to download, convert and burn files to blank DVDs I can see twice as many movies.
                            Originally posted by Great White Mark
                            Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

Originally posted by Banjaxed View Post

Yeah. That Cineworld card is awesome (and a great bargain). Even the most marginal of films is still better when watched in a real cinema.

Comment

Working...
                              X