No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hook -- High Concept And The Gimmick

what if a comedian ran for president?

that there is a high concept, with a hook a tagline and a gimmick all in one. i think on it's own it will get people like me to say, hey i might go see that to see what comes of it.

after that it has to be good to get that second wave of people coming in.

kind of piggy backing off the high concept thread in loglines.

vig

Re: Hook -- High Concept And The Gimmick

The fact that it's from the director of Rain Man and Good Morning Vietman, and it stars Robin Williams, Christopher Walken and Lewis Black...is why I'm going to see it.

But you are right...it's high concept. The concept stands above all else. It could still work -- and work well -- even without Williams, Walken, Black and Levinson.

I'm really looking forward to this movie.

Comment

What does a box office prediction have to do with whether or not the movie is high concept?

High concept does not = big box office, nor vice versa.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
      It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
      -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by vig View Post

that there is a high concept, with a hook a tagline and a gimmick all in one. i think on it's own it will get people like me to say, hey i might go see that to see what comes of it.

vig
        This doesn't strike me as high concept. It strikes me as stale cliche. I dunno. The clips are obvious - and I've only seen the crap they're advertising it with, so I have no idea.

If it's funny, it's funny. Dave was everyman becoming President, and it was okay. But having a comic become president. A bit obvious. Especially when people are dying around the world. I mean - when LBJ or Nixon was prez would we have this?

Comment

Originally posted by Prosaics View Post
          I mean - when LBJ or Nixon was prez would we have this?
          Isn't that when Dick Gregory did run for president? And later, Pat Paulson? The twist here is, he wins.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Robin Williams hasn't been genuinely funny for a good 15 years. So is that the real twist? Patch Adams in the Oval Office?

Comment

I think it is a good concept, though I dislike Black. As for the comedy standpoint, it will have to be better than the crap that has been listed as comedy for the past few years. It will probably have alot of liberal ideas in it, but it will make for some funny moments.

Comment

The high concept is not that he runs, it's that he wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Prosaics View Post
                This doesn't strike me as high concept. It strikes me as stale cliche. I dunno. The clips are obvious - and I've only seen the crap they're advertising it with, so I have no idea.

If it's funny, it's funny. Dave was everyman becoming President, and it was okay. But having a comic become president. A bit obvious. Especially when people are dying around the world. I mean - when LBJ or Nixon was prez would we have this?
                The difference is that when LBJ and Nixon were pres, the office taken far more seriously. Given the current view of our president, this script does not take a huge leap, but rather a small step -- wouldn't it be great of the pres actually cracked jokes instead of being the embarassing butt of them all the time?
                "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by vig View Post

vig
                  HC pitch: A comedian is elected as president.

What makes it high-concept is that just based on a few words people can judge whether or not it is good or bad, has "potential" or not. (which is what post of the replies have done)
                  "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                  - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Didn't Chris Rock make a movie like this? I think it's called Head of State....

"The two things that run Hollywood are fear and greed." - Syd Field

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
                      HC pitch: A comedian is elected as president.
                      Dick Gregory and Pat Paulson have plowed the "comedian runs for president" ground in real life, Trudeau and Altman's Tanner pioneered the comic turn on a presidential run ... but only James Buchanan was employed as a stand-up comedian before stepping into the Oval Office. It's been long enough for a fresh take. Here's hoping there's some bite to it.

Comment

It'd be good if he's a biting dark satirical comedian, a Jon Stewart guy suddenly thrust into deciding power and politics instead of merely commenting it, etc. But I'm cringing thinking about a bad kind of Robin Williams schtick ...

Nanu nanu, I'm the Prayzeedenture!

Have you seen the Robin Williams "Peter Pan" movie called HOOK?

If I were Williams, I wouldn't let anyone in my employ even say the word "hook" anymore, for fear it'll bring back memories of that movie.

If this one has a skateboard in it or anywhere near it, I'm a stay away.
                        sigpic
                        "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                        that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                        -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Fact is stranger than fiction.

How would "Mi Negra" fare as an electoral policy in the USA?

And "Dave" was a fantastic movie, with a first rate script!

Comment

didn't we just elect a comedian into the oval office?

twice??

Comment

Originally posted by magicghost2977 View Post
                              didn't we just elect a comedian into the oval office?

twice??
                              Just once.

Comment

Working...
                              X