This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Picking Right Idea

Personally, I only develop concepts I would pay to watch. Then again my taste in films is really eclectic and what I enjoy ranges from blockbuster action to small, arty drama. So I'm not sure if that's a good gauge for me.

As for feedback, I prefer other writers' opinions and I'll also run ideas by my brother, my guy and my soon to be 18-yr. old kid. Thing is -- all of them enjoy writing their own stuff and all are interested in films.

Also -- my brother is in post production (primarily TV editor and commercials) and my guy is a sculptor/artist who has worked on storyboards -- feedback from them really helps with visual ideas for set pieces, etc.

I just asked my kid to read my near-finished novella because the protag/antag are teens her age and I want to see what she thinks works or what may be missing.

And, since there are so many original Amazon/Netflix shows/movies targeting the 16-18 yo market, I'm thinking of adapting the novella for the screen even though it's likely not commercial enough for a theater release. (Maybe I'll post the logline here)

BTW: She read my future-set script and made a brilliant suggestion that no one else thought of. Now I'm rethinking Act 2 entirely.

Overall, some suggestions above for picking the right idea are solid yet there's no way to accurately calculate which idea will blow away buyers and make them think: Gotta have it.

I think the only thing the majority of people can agree on is bad ideas.
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

I think the only thing the majority of people can agree on is bad ideas.

I wish that were true...

Comment

"yet there's no way to accurately calculate which idea will blow away buyers and make them think: Gotta have it.-

I bet I could guess which ideas by non-established writers WON'T sell.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Watching Lin Manuel basically take an idea (he was still developing) that I think we all heard the first time and said WTF? and then to make it what it is -- I don't think there is a better example of proving people wrong with an idea that sounds stupid to most -- until the artist brings it to life.

You can literally hear the audience laugh at him when he first speaks and almost instantly by his performance, they know this is something special.

So sometimes, you got to just go for it. And prove them all wrong.

Comment

I'll throw in my two cents:

Picking the right idea is hard. Sometimes you hear "write what you love." Other times, your manager will tell you to write something more commercial, in a certain budget range. Just because you write something that costs 500,000 to make, that doesn't mean it's easier to make that movie. Sometimes movies that cost 10 or 30 million to make might be easier, because you might be able to get bigger studios/prod companies involved and attract more talent.

What's more, reps don't want their clients writing movies with a 500,000 budget unless they're going to be a producer/director as well. You can imagine the measly commission if not.

What Bono described in his opening post is just what's known simply as high concept. Explain it in a few words, a phrase, a sentence. Not all the best movies do this, but it helps with marketing. Some people would be shocked at the marketing budgets of some studio films.

Simply, I would say write something that you feel is unique, relevant and or timeless, and a masterclass in the genre(s) you're exploring. 80% of netflix films are pure garbage, and they start with an awful script. Those films are getting produced.

The opportunities are there. And the doors will open if you've executed great, commercial ideas.

Comment

Update it -- "Write an idea you love -- but also make it commercial."

So if you have 5 ideas and 3 of them aren't going to be loved by many and it's more niche -- choose from the other 2.

If you have an idea that you can make more commercial -- go that way.

Of course sometimes you just write from the heart and that turns out to be commerical like Hamilton. Any other creator -- given same idea -- even hip hop part -- it would be something you've never heard of. That's how thin it is.

Lin knows himself. The idea was attractive to him because of who he is... so some people are that amazing.

If you're more like me -- not a creative genius -- but a decent writer -- then think a minute before you commit to any idea. Let the whole thing play out.

Picture yourself trying to sell it. The logline. The movie poster. Who will star in the movie?

I have a lot of ideas where it's The Goonies kids age -- but they really don't make those movies as much as they do 30-50 year old actors, so maybe find a way to do the story that way... these little things like who the hell can they cast in your movie?

Comment

The reason a lot of loglines "don't work" is because the idea itself isn't very good. You see people try to find the perfect logline, but it's like me trying to find a t-shirt that fits. My problem is my belly not the t-shirt. It's not your logline, it's your idea that isn't working.

Comment

Depends who you're pitching to.

For me, a good idea writes itself. It inspires further ideas. You can see all the moving parts.

I've heard some ideas that producers/execs are excited about but sound terrible to me. When deciding on what idea to pitch for, I think you should look to see if you can make the idea work - if you can see the moving parts of the idea and whether those elements excite you.

I think this comes down to personal experience and knowing what you're capable of as a storyteller - and what interests you.

Low budget contained horror is what green writers are selling these days. If anyone can come up with another LIGHTS OUT, you'll be scoring lots of meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                    The reason a lot of loglines "don't work" is because the idea itself isn't very good. You see people try to find the perfect logline, but it's like me trying to find a t-shirt that fits. My problem is my belly not the t-shirt. It's not your logline, it's your idea that isn't working.
                    I'm perplexed by writers who write an entire script and then try to figure out the logline. For me if the story or character impulse doesn't lead me to a logline I put that impulse in a file titled "fragments," and move on to something that makes sense to me as a feature or series.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
                    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                      Update it -- "Write an idea you love -- but also make it commercial."

So if you have 5 ideas and 3 of them aren't going to be loved by many and it's more niche -- choose from the other 2.

If you have an idea that you can make more commercial -- go that way.

Of course sometimes you just write from the heart and that turns out to be commerical like Hamilton. Any other creator -- given same idea -- even hip hop part -- it would be something you've never heard of. That's how thin it is.

Lin knows himself. The idea was attractive to him because of who he is... so some people are that amazing.

If you're more like me -- not a creative genius -- but a decent writer -- then think a minute before you commit to any idea. Let the whole thing play out.

Picture yourself trying to sell it. The logline. The movie poster. Who will star in the movie?

I have a lot of ideas where it's The Goonies kids age -- but they really don't make those movies as much as they do 30-50 year old actors, so maybe find a way to do the story that way... these little things like who the hell can they cast in your movie?
                      Many (ok, fine - a vast majority) of loglines and ideas I see here just aren't movies. I mean, they could be a movie. The writing is great. But the elevator pitch/loglines here? Not a movie.

Ideas are fvcking hard. So it's likely your serial killer logline isn't great.

Comment

Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
                        I'm perplexed by writers who write an entire script and then try to figure out the logline. For me if the story or character impulse doesn't lead me to a logline I put that impulse in a file titled "fragments," and move on to something that makes sense to me as a feature or series.

Totally agree with you here. Once I have an idea I won't even think about outline or research until I can form a clear logline.
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post

Sounds like you're a writer who is more conceptual. Intuitive writers explore until they find it. I don't think there is only one way to find a good story.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                            Sounds like you're a writer who is more conceptual. Intuitive writers explore until they find it. I don't think there is only one way to find a good story.
                            Agree.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                              If you're Stephen King, this would seem to be a prudent approach. Personally, I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                                Many (ok, fine - a vast majority) of loglines and ideas I see here just aren’t movies. I mean, they could be a movie. The writing is great. But the elevator pitch/loglines here? Not a movie.

Ideas are fvcking hard. So it’s likely your serial killer logline isn’t great.
                                That was my point of the thread for sure. And on/off board -- same thing happens. I pitch ideas myself and they are just one scene in a bigger movie, but sometimes you don't know that until you say it out loud.

But the key is to do whatever steps are necessary to develop ideas and make sure it's actually a good idea for a movie and not the first idea you had.

Sometimes loglines feel like "this person had this idea for a long time" and other ones are "they just thought of this idea at lunch."

Comment

Working...
                                X