Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network meeting

I was just able to secure a meeting with the head of development at a major network to discuss a TV pilot I wrote. This will be my first meeting with a network ever, so I would like some advice on everything from expectations to wardrobe.

Also is there a way I can use this meeting to get represented?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Re: Network meeting

Originally posted by jk97301 View Post
    I was just able to secure a meeting with the head of development at a major network to discuss a TV pilot I wrote. This will be my first meeting with a network ever, so I would like some advice on everything from expectations to wardrobe.

Also is there a way I can use this meeting to get represented?

Any and all advice is appreciated.
    Congrats.

I'm not sure if you're male or female, but just dress casual. No sweats but no need for a suit or dress. It sounds like a general so it'll likely be an easy going meeting with standard conversation. Be yourself in appearance and personality -- unless you are just very weird, then don't be that

You may be able to ask if they can refer you to some reps they like, but it could come off as awkward so maybe see if they ask about reps or bring up a related topic that you can slide into.
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

It's a little tough to give advice if we don't know what kind of meeting this is. Is it a general or are you there to pitch the series based off the pilot they read? Two very different meetings.

A general is just a meet-and-greet. They'll want to know more about you, your interests, what compelled you to write the pilot, what else you're working on, etc. But if you're pitching the series - which I'm guessing is the the reason for the meeting since it's buying season for nets - then you should be prepared to talk about your vision for the series. Characters arcs, major story beats for at least a couple seasons, etc.

Comment

If it's a pitch for the series based on your pilot, go in prepared. Know as much as you can about the show and rehearse that sh*t. They're gonna ask "What's season 3?" Have an answer.

If it's a general, I disagree a bit with the above description of how to handle a general. If you play get-t'know-ya for an hour, you're forgotten the second you leave. That exec meets with several charming, cool writers with fascinating life stories per day, so I say have at least one other show idea you can pitch briefly and confidently. This is a solid meeting, so don't waste more than 40% on chit chat. That was advice my agent gave me after years of my making new pals for an hour (who always liked me but rarely hired me). It changed everything. Execs like this are hoping, with every meeting, that a writer is gonna bring them something that helps them in some way.

Pump yourself up by watching the scene where Bud Fox meets Gordon Gekko for the first time. When does that meeting become more than chit-chat? The moment Bud has an idea that can help make Gordon money.
        https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
          If you play get-t'know-ya for an hour, you're forgotten the second you leave. That exec meets with several charming, cool writers with fascinating life stories per day, so I say have at least one other show idea you can pitch briefly and confidently. This is a solid meeting, so don't waste more than 40% on chit chat. That was advice my agent gave me after years of my making new pals for an hour (who always liked me but rarely hired me). It changed everything. Execs like this are hoping, with every meeting, that a writer is gonna bring them something that helps them in some way.
          True, I do agree with this as well for the most part. I just know too many people who have never had meetings or are new to them, who go in thinking it's their one shot to make something happen and they get nervous or just force idea after idea onto the exec who is now bored, and the room becomes awkward and weird.

But if you feel comfortable, then fire away. Being memorable is important, but only if you're remembered in a good way.
          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Thanks guys. It's a pitch meeting for the series. He hasn't read the script yet. I had one of the networks top directors read it and referred me. I do have the series mapped out to 5 seasons, with season 1 completely outlined for 22 episodes. I want to as prepared so any advice is useful.

Comment

I thought I mentioned pitching other ideas, but I guess not. I've been on enough generals to know what they're about. Yes, you try to pitch other ideas, but I look at them more as a way to forge a relationship with someone I can go back to with another script.

But the OP is pitching the series, and to that I say congrats and good luck. Sounds like you're fully prepared and that's good, though I find it odd they haven't read the pilot yet. But maybe they will by the time you meet.

Comment

Originally posted by jk97301 View Post
                Thanks guys. It's a pitch meeting for the series. He hasn't read the script yet. I had one of the networks top directors read it and referred me. I do have the series mapped out to 5 seasons, with season 1 completely outlined for 22 episodes. I want to as prepared so any advice is useful.
                If you're doing a full blow pitch. Be sure to have it practice and structured so that you don't get lost. Studio I'm working with gave me a loose structure to go by but it's not in stone and people do it different.

1) Usually the studio/POD will tee you up (talk you up) but since you're going in alone I imagine you'll have some small talk first and not jump right into it.

2) Why this project? Why you're passionate about it? What makes it a show?

3) The hook/concept. What grabs them quick? Maybe a question? Quick logline.

4) Touch on the main character or couple that are the main ones.

5) Pitch the pilot episode -- and if they read it you may just need to recap.

6) Pitch season 1. Main arcs. What happens. Holy **** moments.

7) Series pitch. What happens beyond? What are character arcs? Where do they go? What is the theme that drives the show. It's not necessarily about knowing that X happens, then Y, then Z and so on.

8) Look, tone, and feel. What your vision is for the show depending on if it's the same or different from other shows that are around.

9) Question and answer.

Again, people do it in various order but as long as it flows and sounds natural and not so memorized that you're droning on and on.

Again, good luck. Let us know how it goes.
                Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Good in a Room

the blog, the book, the t-shirt.
                  If you really like it you can have the rights
                  It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Also a tricky thing is really having and expressing a vision -- they say "did you see x as the lead?" You're tempted to say "who do you want to be the lead?" because really, you'll do what they want, but I think it's better to stick with your vision -- they know it can be tweaked if they want to go forward.
                    Good luck!!!

Comment

http://goodinaroom.com/blog/how-to-d...-a-case-study/
                      If you really like it you can have the rights
                      It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Working...
                      X