Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying WGA dues

Probably a really dumb question but when declaring your earnings for the current quarter, you even declare the percent of your income that goes to your reps? So the 25% of my money I never even see since it automatically goes to Agent/managers/lawyer, I still pay dues on that too, right? Just wanna make sure.

Re: Paying WGA dues

Yup.

Comment

Yup +1
      https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Yep, you pay dues based on your gross income, not net.

If it makes you feel any better, your employers are also contributing to your health and pension based on your gross income, not your net, as well.

That and the WGA health insurance is pretty much the best thing ever, in my experience.

Comment

Thanks guys. Figured that was the case.

Comment

It sucks, but yes. And as far as I can tell the payments to agent and manager are not deductible as biz expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by McNamara View Post
              It sucks, but yes. And as far as I can tell the payments to agent and manager are not deductible as biz expenses.
              That's complicated. The problem for writers at lower income levels is that they get caught by the AMT (alternative minimum tax), which means in effect that you can't deduct agent/manager. But if you earn north or south of the AMT, you can certainly take those deductions. You can also get around the AMT issue entirely by incorporating, but the expenses of running a corp--at least in California--means that it probably doesn't make financial sense until a certain income level.

(Not to wander too far afield, but one of the benefits of incorporating is that taking a 25% deduction off the top on personal taxes will put you in the most-likely-to-audit pile at the IRS while a personal corp taking those deductions won't register so much as a shrug.)

Comment

I have a question. You can't use payment to agents/managers as deductions? So you have to take the full tax hit even though you are paying them? I thought you could deduct that?

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
                  I have a question. You can't use payment to agents/managers as deductions? So you have to take the full tax hit even though you are paying them? I thought you could deduct that?
                  you can, but if you fall under the AMT anyway, it's a wash.

Comment

Working...
                  X