No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After Earth (Gary Whitta & Will Smith) Trailer

Originally posted by Gary Whitta View Post
    This looks killer. The father son dynamic is very appealing too. Looking forward to it.

Comment

This new trailer looks awful. The dialogue is atrocious, Will's speech pattern is annoying and, frankly, I think it's a mistake to set any sci-fi film 1,000 years in the future. The technology human's will be using -- assuming "humans" still even exist in a form we would know & recognize -- is so beyond anything our current brains can even comprehend. Yet all the tech on display here seems within reach within the next few decades.

(Let alone the wing-suit Jaden uses, which is sooooo 21st century.)

And before anyone attacks me for jumping all over Gary's success, let me state that I have no doubt his work was completely mangled by Shyamalan.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
        This new trailer looks awful. The dialogue is atrocious, Will's speech pattern is annoying and, frankly, I think it's a mistake to set any sci-fi film 1,000 years in the future. The technology human's will be using -- assuming "humans" still even exist in a form we would know & recognize -- is so beyond anything our current brains can even comprehend. Yet all the tech on display here seems within reach within the next few decades.
        My sci-fi adventure is set in the year 2897, BUT I have a degree in physics/math from a prestigious university . I've gone out of my way to make the world feel authentic and techno-realistic.
        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Hell, we pro'lly can't even imagine what the tech will be like in fifty years. If we last that long. Thing is, you have to keep it graspable so the audience knows what's going on.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
            Hell, we pro'lly can't even imagine what the tech will be like in fifty years. If we last that long. Thing is, you have to keep it graspable so the audience knows what's going on.
            There is a fundamental limit. If you think about it, technology is really just manipulating the universe on smaller and smaller distance scales. But once you get into quantum mechanics, there's an abrupt halt.

Look at computer technology. We've gone from huge vacuum tubes to 2 cm-sized transistors to micro-sized, and now we're in the nano realm. But you physically can't create transistors smaller than an atom.

What's the next step? Quantum computing. 1's and 0's representing the quantum states of an electron. But after that, you're done. There will never be a "sub-quantum computer." Not in a billion years.

What CAN continue to grow forever is engineering capability. It's like the Star Wars universe. Technology never really changes (they had lightsabres for 25,000 years) But engineering capacity has grown tremendously. Now they're able to build 160km-wide planet-killing death stations.

I'm waaaay too into this.
            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
              There is a fundamental limit. If you think about it, technology is really just manipulating the universe on smaller and smaller distance scales. But once you get into quantum mechanics, there's an abrupt halt.

Look at computer technology. We've gone from huge vacuum tubes to 2 cm-sized transistors to micro-sized, and now we're in the nano realm. But you physically can't create transistors smaller than an atom.

What's the next step? Quantum computing. 1's and 0's representing the quantum states of an electron. But after that, you're done. There will never be a "sub-quantum computer." Not in a billion years.

What CAN continue to grow forever is engineering capability. It's like the Star Wars universe. Technology never really changes (they had lightsabres for 25,000 years) But engineering capacity has grown tremendously. Now they're able to build 160km-wide planet-killing death stations.

Cool way of looking at it. Should have a monologue like this in your next far-future sci-fi epic.

Comment

And I'm not. I mean, I admire that, but I just watch a movie for the story. Had to quit stressing the tech details too much because I was starting to get angry with too many movies.
                "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Yup, the whole point is to make it understandable and relatable to contemporary audience.

Besides, 1000 years from now we might be living in stone age. Or we might experience a cultural crash 700 years from now, and it would take another 300 years to reach advanced technology.

Comment

Once you have self-evolving nano-level A.I's, anything is off the limits. You can build things atom by atom. You can create intelligences 1000 times faster and 1000 times more intelligent than human mind. You can have trillion x trillion nano-robots building your engineering project if you want.

You can build a planet like Earth from a scratch, if you want to.

That's really the limit. Only the laws of physics are a limitation, but theoretically, anything that exist in our universe can be built.

There is no way of knowing whether human civilization will ever reach that point, thought.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
                      Once you have self-evolving nano-level A.I's, anything is off the limits. You can build things atom by atom. You can create intelligences 1000 times faster and 1000 times more intelligent than human mind. You can have trillion x trillion nano-robots building your engineering project if you want.

You can build a planet like Earth from a scratch, if you want to.

That's really the limit. Only the laws of physics are a limitation, but theoretically, anything that exist in our universe can be built.

There is no way of knowing whether human civilization will ever reach that point, thought.
                      Uhmm, not so sure about this...are you familiar with the Kardashev scale?

Here is Kaku explaining better than I ever could--the audio is kind of crappy, but the content is awesome.
                      The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
                        Yup, the whole point is to make it understandable and relatable to contemporary audience.

Besides, 1000 years from now we might be living in stone age. Or we might experience a cultural crash 700 years from now, and it would take another 300 years to reach advanced technology.
                        See? That's already a way more interesting premise for a movie called AFTER EARTH.

Comment

3d?
                          It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

It's a shame to read some of you tearing into it like this but everyone's entitled to an opinion so I wouldn't dispute those posts. I've always said I can't suggest what's "good" and "bad" - only what I respond to because art is subjective.

Personally, I find myself more interested in the relationships and from what the trailer suggests, a father and son seem to repair their relationship as the story progresses. The nuances of the sci-fi (for me) aren't really the focus but I think it looks thought-out. I'm definitely planning on seeing it, not only to support Gary, but also because it's something I would watch. Even the suits they wear remind me in a good way of the Stillsuits in Dune. Very cool stuff.

But to even some of the naysayers here, if you're lucky enough to get your movies produced, I'm going. As writers, we need to support one another. That's what this forum is about, for me at least.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
                              As writers, we need to support one another. That's what this forum is about, for me at least.
                              There's a difference between tearing down a writer on a personal level over any success he or she has achieved -- which no one has done in this thread -- versus opining on whether or not a project they wrote looks any good.

This cum by yah mentality of one should never critique a film simply because it was written by a member of the forums is tiresome.

Besides, as has been pointed out before -- most recently with Craig discussing IDENTITY THIEF -- what a writer puts on the page doesn't always make it to the screen. My point being there could be elements of AFTER EARTH I'm commenting on that Gary never wrote and, privately, may not even like himself.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
                                There's a difference between tearing down a writer on a personal level over any success he or she has achieved -- which no one has done in this thread -- versus opining on whether or not a project they wrote looks any good.

This cum by yah mentality of one should never critique a film simply because it was written by a member of the forums is tiresome.

Besides, as has been pointed out before -- most recently with Craig discussing IDENTITY THIEF -- what a writer puts on the page doesn't always make it to the screen. My point being there could be elements of AFTER EARTH I'm commenting on that Gary never wrote and, privately, may not even like himself.
                                Hey, if it sounds tiresome, feel free to ignore. No one's jumping on you. Re-read the part of my post about being entitled to an opinion. It's all good if you don't like the trailer.

Comment

Working...
                                X