Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Ten Sci Fi?

Just saw District 9. Man, what a trip! Story falls apart under analysis, but it was absorbing and watchable. It was interesting how the protagonist didn't become fully human until he became half seafood.

The visuals were dynamite! Most especially the long shots of the mother ship over J-burg.

Anyway, on to the subject of this post: What are the ten best sci-fi movies from a story point of view? As in, consistent, believable plot, fully dimensional characters, etcetera?
    Last edited by Architeuthis Dux; 01-09-2011, 09:53 PM. Reason: punctuation

Re: Top Ten Sci Fi?

"Story falls apart under analyse"

I'm wondering what parts didn't stand up to scrutiny for you? Most of the problems I've seen that people have were to do with assumptions. (eg: Assuming that the black goo was fuel. It made more sense to assume that they were repair nanites - that would explain why they were needed to get the ship running again .. yet also had the affect of converting him into a prawn. I assumed the alien was simplifying it by saying the goo was fuel)

etc etc

Mac
    New blogposts:
    *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
    *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
    *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
    *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Inception... just kidding.

I might roll with:

Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind, Blade Runner, Planet of the Apes, Moon, ET, Alien, Close Encounters, Wrath of Kahn, Matrix, Empire Strikes Back.

My favorite sci-fi story of all time would still have to be Blade Runner I think.

Comment

BLADE RUNNER is one of my favorite films of any genre.
        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Dark City is pretty good.

Comment

Children of Men...joking.

Matrix, The Prestige (even though it was set in the past), Terminator, Minority report, War of the Worlds, Aliens, Total Recall, Jurassic Park, 12 Monkeys, Vanilla Sky, Avatar, District 9
            One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
              Don't see what's funny about that. I have some issues with the narrative, but I have similar issues with BLADERUNNER's narrative.

Still, CHILDREN OF MEN is an amazing tour de force of emotion. And Cuaron's directions is shocking to say the least. I think it was a travesty that he didn't get more critical praise for that film.

That movie kept me off balance and on edge from the opening scene. That's very rare. And that 3rd act single shot is unparalleled. There's nothing else like that. It's freaking amazing.

In many ways I prefer it to BLADERUNNER. I kind of hold BLADERUNNER in higher regard, but only because the world was so much more amazing.

Emotionally, I think CHILDREN OF MEN is more connected and jolting. JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                I'm sure you meant Vanilla Sky, right? Children of Men was fantastic.
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

1. Matrix
                  2. Dune the David Lynch version, not the Alan Smithee version
                  3. Eternal Sunshine
                  4. 12 monkeys
                  5. Aliens
                  6. Planet of the Apes
                  7. Blade runner
                  8. Logan's run
                  9. terminator
                  Ummmm 9.5 terminator 2
                  10. the thing

Honorable mentions
                  Cloverfield
                  Bad taste
                  Dark Star
                  Butterfly effect
                  Robocop and
                  the day after
                  ________
                  CHRYSLER IMPERIAL
                  Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:33 AM.
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I knew I'd catch some heat for that comment

I loved the opening of Children of Men as well as the cinematography, other than that I wasn't into it all that much to be honest...not sure if it was clive Owen or what. I liked the concept but I wasn't on the edge of my seat.

But hey....I liked Inception so obviously I'm in the minority.
                    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                      I'm sure you meant Vanilla Sky, right? Children of Men was fantastic.
                      You know what, I think what I liked the most about vanilla sky was the concept.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Don't really have a Top Ten, but if I did, these films would be on it:

Children of Men (this one f*cking inspired the sh*t out of me)
                        Moon
                        District 9
                        Primer
                        Cloverfield

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

This may sound like blasphemy, but I don't think Bladerunner is all that great in the story department. There's chunks of that movie where nothing really happens IMO. Characters just kind of roam the cool world (villain and hero included), then the whole thing just sorta ends.

I think the movie's influential because of the scope of the world and ideas, not necessarily that it's a tight script. The anime movie "Akira" is kind of like that. It's animation (at the time) was mindblowing, unique, influential. The ideas in the movie were huge. But what's the core story about really? Hard to tell. Pretty much nonexistent.

The sci-fi that really blows my mind and stays with me to this day are few:

1. Matrix
                          2. Eternal Sunshine

The rest mentioned (Aliens, Dark City, Terminator) are fun and great movies, but I didn't really taken anything away from them. Also, I havent' seen District 9, Logan's Run or Butterfly Effect. So I'll get on that.

Comment

1.Stalker
                            2.3.Ghost in the Shell, 1 and 2.
                            4.Paprika
                            5.Aliens
                            6.The Butterfly effect
                            7.Children of Men
                            8. Millenium Actress
                            9.Avalon
                            10. Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind

-
                            Kinda hard to make a Top 10, but those films are great/top notch visually, narratively, artistically.

Comment

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post
                              I think the movie's influential because of the scope of the world and ideas, not necessarily that it's a tight script. The anime movie "Akira" is kind of like that. It's animation (at the time) was mindblowing, unique, influential. The ideas in the movie were huge. But what's the core story about really? Hard to tell. Pretty much nonexistent..
                              You should read the mangas to understand the full story.
                              Also, you "may" (and I honestly, write may) not have the cultural clues/keys to understand fully the story.

Comment

Working...
                              X