Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: After Earth (Gary Whitta & Will Smith) Trailer

If it is part of the c-plot, then it cannot be the premise, far from it.

The way Inception is structured and executed as a premise, I don't think you can refer to it as just "dreaming". They mention a specific type of dream, lucid dream, to try and explain why when in the dream world, the sub-conscious doesn't run wild. But that makes for a very boring experience when they are in the dream state, as everything plays out as in the normal world.

Inception tries to have it`s cake and eat it, for example, when Cobb is in the bar with Fischer, he literally tells him that he is in a dream, so for me, one of two things must happen. When you realise that you are in a dream you immediately wake up (As Ariadne did when they first met in Paris) or you if you are suddenly conscious of the fact that you are dreaming, you`ll remember it and weather you want it or not, your sub-conscious would take over(Again remember Ariadne, showing us the sheer power of the sub-conscious by folding Paris in half?). To have it play out that Fischer would/could control all this and play along with Cobb`s plan, was boring and way too plot convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by miktal-1 View Post

The way Inception is structured and executed as a premise, I don't think you can refer to it as just "dreaming". They mention a specific type of dream, lucid dream, to try and explain why when in the dream world, the sub-conscious doesn't run wild. But that makes for a very boring experience when they are in the dream state, as everything plays out as in the normal world.

Inception tries to have it`s cake and eat it, for example, when Cobb is in the bar with Fischer, he literally tells him that he is in a dream, so for me, one of two things must happen. When you realise that you are in a dream you immediately wake up (As Ariadne did when they first met in Paris) or you if you are suddenly conscious of the fact that you are dreaming, you`ll remember it and weather you want it or not, your sub-conscious would take over(Again remember Ariadne, showing us the sheer power of the sub-conscious by folding Paris in half?). To have it play out that Fischer would/could control all this and play along with Cobb`s plan, was boring and way too plot convenient.

You are trying to apply your own limited, subjective, personal experiences as some universal rule.

The human brain, and human mind, are fragmented. Your brain, and mind, are perfectly capable of executing numerous actions simultaneously. They do so all the time. While your own subjective experience is of a one mind, it's almost like a bunch of little minds operating together, some more conscious than others, and executing completely different tasks.

So for example running a dream within a dream within a dream might well be possible, and it certainly wouldn't stretch our brain's mental capabilities. Dreams are so subjective in the first place, and our memories of them are so fragmented, that you have no idea if this is exactly what your brain does when you sleep.

If we would be able to enter other people's dreams (Thus getting multiple brains, and minds, connected), it's impossible to say how it all would play out in practice.

Modern brain science, and psychology, still have very limited knowledge of how our brains works. Or what dreams are, exactly, and what is the logic behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by miktal-1 View Post
        I never said it was. Enjoy the play! It's one of his better known works for a reason.

Comment

You are trying to apply your own limited, subjective, personal experiences as some universal rule.
          I think if you read my post again, you`d see that I wasn't. I gave examples from the rules in the film and why I didn't enjoy it.

If we would be able to enter other people's dreams (Thus getting multiple brains, and minds, connected), it's impossible to say how it all would play out in practice.
          Which is why when discussing the film, it`s best to stay within the version that is given, and cross reference it with your own experience.

Which ever way you look at it, there are problems with the way the story plays out. For example:-
          When Cobb taps Fischer on the shoulder and tells him that he is dreaming, why on Earth would he believe him? As far as he was concerned he is sitting in a bar having a drink.

Comment

Because Cobb claimed to be his security - something Fisher actually had.

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
              Because Cobb claimed to be his security - something Fisher actually had.
              The optimum word being "claimed"

But this is another example of what I dislike most about Nolan`s storytelling, the conveniently timed exposition and plot conveniences.

So he has security to patrol his dreams? How exactly does that work? I`m assuming that they cannot tap in from an office desk in Boston, so they would need to literally "sleep with him" so to speak, hooked up to the same type of machine that Cobb uses. Yes?

Comment

No. People can have their unconscious (Nolan mistakenly uses "subconscious," much to my annoyance) trained to detect when a dream is being corrupted, at which point their projections will become militant. This was explained mostly in the first scene.

Comment

Working...
                X