Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 month option deal advice

Hi, thanks in advance for feedback. Producer with several credits, some in my genre, offered $1 option for 3 months with purchase of $4,000. I believe the budget is under $500,000 but need to confirm. I am not a WGA writer so not expecting those minimum terms but not sure if this is reasonable/ fair either. This is for a Lifetime /cable type gig. Thoughts?

Re: 3 month option deal advice

I've heard that $5k is what Hallmark, Lifetime and other cablers try to get away with for non-union scripts. If the script is good enough to get a producer interested demand more for the option and sale price. There are other ways to get to those companies if you have a script that lines up with their slate.

I know a couple of people who work in the cable area. PM me if you have questions.

HTH,
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Some people are being paid $10K a script, at least, for non-union scripts even without credits to their name for cable TV movies. Now this is by indie production companies who then sell the movie to a cable network, but still. (Maybe EdFury and a few others can chime in on this too.) You should be paid somewhat close to that since even just 2% of $500K is $10K. I know writers who have been paid $10K for movies costing less than that. I also know a filmmaker who even offers a bonus if the movie is picked up by a name network, like Lifetime.

A $1 option for a three months, is kinda weak. Not as bad as a $1 for 12 months, but still it's pretty weak. I would hope they could at least cough up $50 bucks, if not more. Make a show of genuine interest, so to speak.

If you just want to get something made, can live with the $1 and then possibly the $4K, then obviously up to you. But just in case the movie doesn't turn out so well and it doesn't help push your career forwards, try to get what you can upfront; and I say that in the most positive of ways.
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

I got a $2000 dollar option on my spec for a year and they never paid us, so might as well have been $2.

My point, $1 or $10,000 doesn't really matter if they don't pay you. Most options are just that -- you're given someone your creative work and hoping you get paid later if something gets made.

I did use the producer's name to get repped, but they wouldn't take out the spec until the "option" ran out even though again they never paid us...

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
          Some people are being paid $10K a script, at least, for non-union scripts even without credits to their name for cable TV movies. Now this is by indie production companies who then sell the movie to a cable network, but still. (Maybe EdFury and a few others can chime in on this too.) You should be paid somewhat close to that since even just 2% of $500K is $10K. I know writers who have been paid $10K for movies costing less than that. I also know a filmmaker who even offers a bonus if the movie is picked up by a name network, like Lifetime.

A $1 option for a three months, is kinda weak. Not as bad as a $1 for 12 months, but still it's pretty weak. I would hope they could at least cough up $50 bucks, if not more. Make a show of genuine interest, so to speak.

If you just want to get something made, can live with the $1 and then possibly the $4K, then obviously up to you. But just in case the movie doesn't turn out so well and it doesn't help push your career forwards, try to get what you can upfront; and I say that in the most positive of ways.
          Cable producers pay first time writers between 5 and 10k for scripts. Why? Because they need to be developed and they can't count on new writers to have that skill. A select few do and the get hired again. Most don't. It's like starting in the mailroom and working your way up. In most cases another one or two experienced writers would be brought in to do the rewrites the original writer couldn't do to their satisfaction, which is about 95% of the time. Do they pay those experienced writers more than they paid for the script? Yes, most every time, but those writers worked their way out of the mail room to get there, to be guaranteed go to writers for these companies.

That means it's your primary aim to be able to take notes and execute them even if it means changing everything in your script including most everything you love about it. Your aim is cooperation, not hurt feelings and anger so they come back to you later to pay you more to rewrite the script of a writer who couldn't cooperate, which is most new writers to be honest.

As far as dollar options? I hate them. Be a businessperson. Tell them you want 100 dollars... It's not much to ask. Most of the time, they'll do it. But your hope is that they'll make the film, so don't lose an option to one of these companies over 99 bucks if they hold out for the dollar. It's a long process from new writer to established one, how you react to notes is crucial to your success.

Look at this option as your first week in the mailroom. Pay attention and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
            Cable producers pay first time writers between 5 and 10k for scripts. Why? Because they need to be developed and they can't count on new writers to have that skill. A select few do and the get hired again. Most don't. It's like starting in the mailroom and working your way up. In most cases another one or two experienced writers would be brought in to do the rewrites the original writer couldn't do to their satisfaction, which is about 95% of the time. Do they pay those experienced writers more than they paid for the script? Yes, most every time, but those writers worked their way out of the mail room to get there, to be guaranteed go to writers for these companies.

That means it's your primary aim to be able to take notes and execute them even if it means changing everything in your script including most everything you love about it. Your aim is cooperation, not hurt feelings and anger so they come back to you later to pay you more to rewrite the script of a writer who couldn't cooperate, which is most new writers to be honest.

As far as dollar options? I hate them. Be a businessperson. Tell them you want 100 dollars... It's not much to ask. Most of the time, they'll do it. But your hope is that they'll make the film, so don't lose an option to one of these companies over 99 bucks if they hold out for the dollar. It's a long process from new writer to established one, how you react to notes is crucial to your success.

Look at this option as your first week in the mailroom. Pay attention and learn.
            Agreed!

An aside: I love notes. I'm not precious with my words AT ALL. Let's change WHATEVER. Who gives a fukk. I'm trying to get something MADE. Collaborate. I'm down with whatever the consensus is.

BTW - With tV shows, I've seen that the showruner will fight (on your behalf) to keep what's GOOD about it and suggest you change what ain't working. NO PROBLEM! I trust them to know more than me what will get it made.

People say to me "I know it's your baby, but can we change..." Lemme STOP you right there. No! This is not my baby, now it's OUR baby, so let's slaughter this baby if it makes it better. I don't give a fukk, so long as it moves the project forward. Play the game IMO.

Not directed at you Ed, I know you get it. The game. (saying this stuff into the clear blue)
            Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              I got a $2000 dollar option on my spec for a year and they never paid us, so might as well have been $2.

My point, $1 or $10,000 doesn't really matter if they don't pay you. Most options are just that -- you're given someone your creative work and hoping you get paid later if something gets made.

I did use the producer's name to get repped, but they wouldn't take out the spec until the "option" ran out even though again they never paid us...
              if they don't pay you. the option is invalid. you could have continued to shop it. unless you agreed to be paid the $2,000 at the expiration date. but no one would do that.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                if they don't pay you. the option is invalid. you could have continued to shop it. unless you agreed to be paid the $2,000 at the expiration date. but no one would do that.
                Agreed. Legally the contract has not been "executed." So, hand raised, I'd walk. Fukk them.

My email to them is this: "Execute the contract by paying me or it's void."

What's more difficult is when you've already done the work and the film is already out and they haven't paid (as a composer/ghost writer). I'm still owed money from a particular composer, but fukk it... been years. I should get interest on it. But fukk it...

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                  Agreed!

An aside: I love notes. I'm not precious with my words AT ALL. Let's change WHATEVER. Who gives a fukk. I'm trying to get something MADE. Collaborate. I'm down with whatever the consensus is.

BTW - With tV shows, I've seen that the showruner will fight (on your behalf) to keep what's GOOD about it and suggest you change what ain't working. NO PROBLEM! I trust them to know more than me what will get it made.

People say to me "I know it's your baby, but can we change..." Lemme STOP you right there. No! This is not my baby, now it's OUR baby, so let's slaughter this baby if it makes it better. I don't give a fukk, so long as it moves the project forward. Play the game IMO.

Not directed at you Ed, I know you get it. The game. (saying this stuff into the clear blue)
                  No worries. I learned very early nothing is sacred in a script. The biggest problem new writers have is taking this stuff personally. It's not personal. They don't care enough about you for it to be personal. All you need to worry about is it getting made with your name on it at the start.

Have a great weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                    Agreed!

i totally agree with you here. and i know people get sensitive about their writing but here's what i've been telling myself forever-- you still have the original. it's always there for you to enjoy. keep a copy.
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                      No worries. I learned very early nothing is sacred in a script. The biggest problem new writers have is taking this stuff personally. It's not personal. They don't care enough about you for it to be personal. All you need to worry about is it getting made with your name on it at the start.

Have a great weekend.
                      1000% agree.

Happy weekend!

Comment

i totally agree with you here. and i know people get sensitive about their writing but here's what i've been telling myself forever-- you still have the original. it's always there for you to enjoy. keep a copy.
                        Yup! You'll always have the draft YOU love. Sometimes I've done so many notes I forget which one that is. LOL

Comment

I agree with what everyone is saying about accepting notes and being collaborative. But I want to add one caveat, at least with regards to how I approach this business.

A producer needs to PAY me for the privilege of complete cooperation.

It's amazing how readily I can flip a switch and rewrite my entire script if I'm being paid. Sure, I'll push back on things I disagree with, but overall, it's a "You're the boss" attitude. We all want the best script, but at the end of the day, I'm their employee.

But if a producer is trying to pay with "promises", then I become much more protective of my work (and more importantly, my TIME). Because if you try to please everyone and try to be seen as "collaborative" this town is more than willing to extract free work from you.

Sure, there have been times when I've entered into free development because I believed in the direction and possibilities of the project. There are more times when I've walked away. It's a case by case decision.

I just want to make this distinction clear for anyone who's reading this thread. There are too many stories of writers who lose years of their career because they didn't want to be seen as "difficult" or "too precious." And they have nothing to show for it.

Never be afraid to walk away from a bad relationship, especially if you're not being paid.

Comment

I did use it to get a manager -- actually we had 2 offers -- but the bigger name firm said they would wait until option expired before taking it out saying he could pay us in the last minute and claim ownership of script. Basically saying if we go out with it, someone else like Sony wants to buy it, the producer could come in and make a fuss or try to get on to produce and sour the deal...

This is a great example of real life Hollywood vs what you think on the outside. Legal? Ha ha ha. This is hollywood!

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
                              I agree with what everyone is saying about accepting notes and being collaborative. But I want to add one caveat, at least with regards to how I approach this business.

A producer needs to PAY me for the privilege of complete cooperation.

It's amazing how readily I can flip a switch and rewrite my entire script if I'm being paid. Sure, I'll push back on things I disagree with, but overall, it's a "You're the boss" attitude. We all want the best script, but at the end of the day, I'm their employee.

But if a producer is trying to pay with "promises", then I become much more protective of my work (and more importantly, my TIME). Because if you try to please everyone and try to be seen as "collaborative" this town is more than willing to extract free work from you.

Sure, there have been times when I've entered into free development because I believed in the direction and possibilities of the project. There are more times when I've walked away. It's a case by case decision.

I just want to make this distinction clear for anyone who's reading this thread. There are too many stories of writers who lose years of their career because they didn't want to be seen as "difficult" or "too precious." And they have nothing to show for it.

Never be afraid to walk away from a bad relationship, especially if you're not being paid.
                              true. i told my lawyer, "why would i write for free when i can write an entirely new spec in the same time and have a new project to sell?" i walked away from a deal. do i wish it could've worked out? hell yeah, but it didn't and THAT happens a lot.

you get your first option agreement and it's just like getting a read request, so many things can still go wrong. i didn't even get excited. i knew not to do that to myself.

my first words to my manager-no-manager was, "you can tell them to go **** themselves." seriously. he said, now let's take a step back and send them a counter.

i didn't want to. i felt terrible for my lawyer who was doing all this work on the contract and wasn't going to get paid for his time-- i hated it. we went back n forth for a month. ugh. it was torture. i refused to write for free.

i mean, how do they pay their bills? from the fake money tree?

Comment

Working...
                              X