Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would like to discuss "Shakespear in Love"

I found the whole movie very funny and enjoyable, but the humor of it I loved best was how it humanized Shakespeare and showed him going through the same slog as a scriptwriter that we go through today. The writers slyly pointed up the parallels, perhaps somewhat as an in-joke from writers who have been through it to their bretherin in the audience.

Comment

Well I think the script and movie are both brilliant.

Just from a gut reaction to the movie I thought the story was highly entertaining, funny, and the romance was excellent. The characters were well drawn, the dialogue was pithy and funny, and you can't help but marvel at some of the parallels to Shakespeare's work.

I don't really even like Romcoms that much, but this is on another level.

It's just a well constructed story. The dilemmas are in perfect synchronization.

Will's goal in the film is to write the play and save the theatre, but he has no muse and is completely blocked. He doesn't even have a story to write.

He finds his muse in a love for Viola, but there's a huge problem: she's engaged to a very powerful man who can easily have the theatre shut down, or worse, have Will killed.

It's a great core conflict. He can't save the theatre if he doesn't write the script. He can't write the script without exploring his love for Viola. But by being with Viola he puts the theatre--and his own life--in even more immediate jeopardy. There's no easy way out. He has to take the hard road.

What's so utterly brilliant, though, is that his experiences with the Viola affair are literally laying the groundwork for "Romeo & Juliet". Someone mentioned that they didn't buy Viola as a muse?

Will's affair with Viola IS "Romeo & Juliet". What happens to them IS the story he's writing. Without her, the story cannot go on. She's the epitome of a muse.

I don't see how you can't marvel at how well this story is woven with the fabric of "Romeo and Juliet" (and other Shakespeare plays). It's done so seamlessly that it literally is part of the movie. But's it's not overdone. It's part of the story, but it's not *THE* story.

The movie has that same issue of forbidden love, but it puts a big ol twist on it by using Will Shakespeare himself and giving him a goal of writing the play that will save his beloved theatre. The goal of writing the greatest romance of all time. What could be more appealing to a writer than that?

The craftsmanship that went into this is just purely amazing. I can't believe there is a writer out there who can't appreciate what was done with this movie.

Comment

Well said, prescribe. I liked the film lots. First time I ever understood Shakespeare.

Hold on, let me just spellcheck before I post this...

-Derek
        My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.
        Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster View Post
          Um... When I'm the teacher, I am the authority.
          Therein lies the rub. This isn't your classroom.
          http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

I guess I must be the only person on the face of the planet (okay, the only North American - all right, the only Canajan, eh - oh, wottheheck) who hasn't seen SIL. It really bothers me when they use Americans in Brit roles because Americans just can't get the accent right (to my ear, anyway), and Gwyneth Paltrow is not exactly one of my favourite actresses, so I gave it a pass when it came to the theatres.

I guess if I ever get a functioning television again (was salivating over a beauty of an LCD at Radio Shack today - I mean, the Source by Circuit City - but alas, the funds simply aren't there) I'll rent it for a look-see.

For Jake's benefit, I have included two misspellings and possibly some punctuation errors.

-T, still smarting from her misspelling of "grammar" due to too fast fingers and too slow on-the-fly proofing and the subsequent drubbing she got from assorted members, though not recollecting at the moment whether Jake was one of the drubbers (joaneasley was one, however)

Comment

Originally posted by writerly
              It's arguing.

sorry, couldn't resist. Typos are one thing, but you might want to invest in a Websters.
              how do you function normally in society?
              Last edited by Qazworld; 10-12-2006, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Eye injoied Chakespeare in Luv, expeshally the diealog.

There's my answer to both the good topic and the "other" topic.
                Don't repeat it; create it.

Comment

Derek: That's cool the movie, I think is designed to be thought provoking. Sometimes that different perspective causes things to hit home. Seeing the movie engaged the visual for me and gave me something to relate to.

Warren: I think the mixture of ShakespearE lines and the writer's own dialog made it richer. It helps to tear apart any movie and everyone teaches me something.

Jennifer

Comment

Has so many wonderful lines, my favourite being:

FENNYMAN
                    Who is that?

HENSLOWE
                    Nobody. The author.

Slam bam! Love it.

And yeah, as Jack said (the only bit he said that I agreed with!) Tom Stoppard only did a rewrite - Marc Norman wrote the script. But he was told to "Britify it" - not a direct quote! - which was when Stoppard came onboard. You can see some distinctively Stoppardesque humour in there no doubt but poor old Marc hardly ever gets acknowledged for such an original approach to this subject.

I love the two levels it plays on - the obvious humour in the almost slapstick gags, as well as the smart and sassy stuff that a limited audience actually gets. Like the Simpsons - aiming successfully at two different audiences, and slaying 'em both. Definitely one of the stronger romcoms to come out of Hollywood. Almost up there with When Harry Met Sally. (But not quite. )
                    sigpic

Website
                    Tweets
                    Book

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
                      I love the two levels it plays on - the obvious humour in the almost slapstick gags, as well as the smart and sassy stuff that a limited audience actually gets. Like the Simpsons - aiming successfully at two different audiences, and slaying 'em both. Definitely one of the stronger romcoms to come out of Hollywood. Almost up there with When Harry Met Sally. (But not quite. )
                      It's wierd how the best humour comes out of the darkest and most emotional situations. It allows the true depth of the characters to come out.

Comment

Jennifer,

Like one of the above posters said, it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, I wish I could be of better help, because I applaud you for going beyond your class to study the film and the script. Anyone with that willingness to learn deserves better than the pedantic posts you received.

I sincerely hope you continue to post about the films you're studying, as it's good practice (remedial for the pedants, of course) for us all!

Love,

Not-A-Know-It-All
                        "Boobsie is Tassle. Exotic dancer, exotic private investigator. Icy Stoli cranberry gives her the superhuman ability to project her voice to deadly decibel levels." -- StrayGatsby

Comment

Originally posted by Boobsie Malone View Post
                          Jennifer,

Like one of the above posters said, it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, I wish I could be of better help, because I applaud you for going beyond your class to study the film and the script. Anyone with that willingness to learn deserves better than the pedantic posts you received.

I sincerely hope you continue to post about the films you're studying, as it's good practice (remedial for the pedants, of course) for us all!

Love,

Not-A-Know-It-All
                          Have to say there's no need to pay big $$ for classes, when I can study these things on my own.

A few of the posters gave me some good insight, that I wasn't aware of. At least here I can post about films and share insights with others. It will help us all.

Granted some of these films probably won't be anyone's favorite, including mine, but dissecting them can do wonders.

Thanx
                          Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                          X