Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2006, 12:53 PM   #51
Qazworld

Default Re: Would like to discuss "Shakespear in Love"

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerly View Post
It's arguing.

sorry, couldn't resist. Typos are one thing, but you might want to invest in a Websters.
how do you function normally in society?

Last edited by Qazworld : 10-12-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Qazworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #52
warrenP

Eye injoied Chakespeare in Luv, expeshally the diealog.

There's my answer to both the good topic and the "other" topic.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #53
pstudios
User

Derek: That's cool the movie, I think is designed to be thought provoking. Sometimes that different perspective causes things to hit home. Seeing the movie engaged the visual for me and gave me something to relate to.

Warren: I think the mixture of ShakespearE lines and the writer's own dialog made it richer. It helps to tear apart any movie and everyone teaches me something.

Jennifer
pstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #54
nic.h

Has so many wonderful lines, my favourite being:

FENNYMAN
Who is that?

HENSLOWE
Nobody. The author.

Slam bam! Love it.

And yeah, as Jack said (the only bit he said that I agreed with!) Tom Stoppard only did a rewrite - Marc Norman wrote the script. But he was told to "Britify it" - not a direct quote! - which was when Stoppard came onboard. You can see some distinctively Stoppardesque humour in there no doubt but poor old Marc hardly ever gets acknowledged for such an original approach to this subject.

I love the two levels it plays on - the obvious humour in the almost slapstick gags, as well as the smart and sassy stuff that a limited audience actually gets. Like the Simpsons - aiming successfully at two different audiences, and slaying 'em both. Definitely one of the stronger romcoms to come out of Hollywood. Almost up there with When Harry Met Sally. (But not quite. )
nic.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #55
pstudios
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic.h View Post
I love the two levels it plays on - the obvious humour in the almost slapstick gags, as well as the smart and sassy stuff that a limited audience actually gets. Like the Simpsons - aiming successfully at two different audiences, and slaying 'em both. Definitely one of the stronger romcoms to come out of Hollywood. Almost up there with When Harry Met Sally. (But not quite. )
It's wierd how the best humour comes out of the darkest and most emotional situations. It allows the true depth of the characters to come out.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:04 AM   #56
Boobsie Malone
Regular

Jennifer,

Like one of the above posters said, it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, I wish I could be of better help, because I applaud you for going beyond your class to study the film and the script. Anyone with that willingness to learn deserves better than the pedantic posts you received.

I sincerely hope you continue to post about the films you're studying, as it's good practice (remedial for the pedants, of course) for us all!

Love,

Not-A-Know-It-All
Old 10-15-2006, 10:30 PM   #57
pstudios
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobsie Malone View Post
Jennifer,

Like one of the above posters said, it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, I wish I could be of better help, because I applaud you for going beyond your class to study the film and the script. Anyone with that willingness to learn deserves better than the pedantic posts you received.

I sincerely hope you continue to post about the films you're studying, as it's good practice (remedial for the pedants, of course) for us all!

Love,

Not-A-Know-It-All
Have to say there's no need to pay big $$ for classes, when I can study these things on my own.

A few of the posters gave me some good insight, that I wasn't aware of. At least here I can post about films and share insights with others. It will help us all.

Granted some of these films probably won't be anyone's favorite, including mine, but dissecting them can do wonders.

Thanx
Jennifer