Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Choice For Best Black and White Movie Ever Made

It seems a lot of people on here don't think Citizen Kane is the best movie ever. But is it the best black and white film...or are there better ones out there?

My choice goes to On The Waterfront, which offers Brando's best performance IMO along with a fantastic script with some really underrated dialogue. We all know the famous line that came out of that film but there are many other great one-liners that people don't know about.

What I really liked about the film though is the pacing. It's fast enough to entertain an audience of today but without compromising the story at the same time. Just an excellent picture.

Honerable mention awards go to:
    Casablanca
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Re: Your Choice For Best Black and White Movie Ever Made

Not a big fan of 'Your best/favourite blank' threads because I never do have a favourite of anything but I'll throw Ed Wood into the mix.
    One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

Pencey, do you mean the film with the best black and white photography? If so, I might go with Citizen Kane.

If not, I don't understand what the fact that a movie is in black and white has to do with its quality. But my answer would be the same whether we were talking about black and white movies or all movies ever made: Casablanca.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
      It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
      -- Potter Stewart

Comment

I'm torn....On the Waterfront or Casablanca.

Comment

Young Frankinstein, in honor of Peter Boyle....

Comment

Definitely the best black and white comedy ever made. But then again, I think it's the best comedy ever made, period.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

I can't think about the best black and white movie without thinking about Raging Bull. Not because it's the best black and white movie, but because almost no black and white movie LOOKS better. The only possible exception might be Citizen Kane, and that was damn near 40 years EARLIER.

So is this about what film makes best use of black and white, or just whatever movie is highest in quality but only looking at black and white movies?

It's hard to do the latter because cinematography should be judged when attempting to determine a film's overall quality. Casablanca looks very ordinary, nothing special about it's look, and that should be taken into consideration. Same with On The Waterfront. They are IN black and white, but don't make the best USE of it.

Best overall black and white movie? Psycho

Comment

Sunset Blvd. duh.
                http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Duh, indeed.
                  Writers write to be read, right?

Comment

Manhatten

Comment

Hairy -- not The Third Man?

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

Ah, too many to mention, and they don't need to be creakies either.
                        Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
                        Rumble Fish
                        Young Frankenstein
                        Clerks
                        The Day The Earth Stood Still

-Derek

Comment

touch of evil or sunset blvd.
                          "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                            I can't think about the best black and white movie without thinking about Raging Bull. Not because it's the best black and white movie, but because almost no black and white movie LOOKS better. The only possible exception might be Citizen Kane, and that was damn near 40 years EARLIER.

So is this about what film makes best use of black and white, or just whatever movie is highest in quality but only looking at black and white movies?

It's hard to do the latter because cinematography should be judged when attempting to determine a film's overall quality. Casablanca looks very ordinary, nothing special about it's look, and that should be taken into consideration. Same with On The Waterfront. They are IN black and white, but don't make the best USE of it.

Best overall black and white movie? Psycho
                            Wow, I totally forgot about Raging Bull. Nice pick. Psycho too.

I was going to make this thread Best Black and White From The Golden Age but then I guess both of these movies wouldn't count.

Comment

The Third Man

There isn't a better movie out there, in my opinion. It's the only film I can actually say I mean it when I tell you I've seen it 100+ times.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X