Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
jboffer

Default Re: The Raven... uh, ok.

No, you are jealous. Because I say you are. That makes it true.
jboffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
12916studios

Personally, I think that was brilliantly directed (the cinematography was also quite good). Sure, it was a simple story (the little dialogue probably could have been better too) but I want to know more about the world. It's definitely one of the better action/scifi shorts I have seen. Really, this seemed like a vehicle to show the director's skills -- and it does show them.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

12916studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
hscope

I thought it was very good; thanks for posting.

I just finished a short film, with a couple more in pre-production, so it's inspiring to hear about something like this.
hscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
prescribe22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboffer View Post
No, you are jealous. Because I say you are. That makes it true.
I have been known to get jealous.

I'm actually a fairly jealous of this short film director's talent. I wish I could shoot something like that over a weekend.
prescribe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #15
jboffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescribe22 View Post
I have been known to get jealous.

I'm actually a fairly jealous of this short film director's talent. I wish I could shoot something like that over a weekend.
Actually, over a weekend is pretty cool. If it really was.

It wasn't done "over a weekend." They filmed a guy running through streets in a weekend, sure. Wow, that's hard. Then did the labor intensive part--the great digital effects. I'm sure a ton of work went into this.

...to show a guy running away from robots.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #16
jboffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12916studios View Post
Personally, I think that was brilliantly directed (the cinematography was also quite good). Sure, it was a simple story (the little dialogue probably could have been better too) but I want to know more about the world. It's definitely one of the better action/scifi shorts I have seen. Really, this seemed like a vehicle to show the director's skills -- and it does show them.
I thought the pacing and tension screamed "amateur" personally. But thanks for contributing without labeling me as jealous.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #17
R.D. Wright

Quote:
Someone tell me, what in that short makes it feature-length quality?
All of it.

Jboffer, I'm having a hard time understanding why you didn't appreciate this clip. The concept of a fugitive with telekinetic powers dodging a robotic police force? Seems solid enough to me, providing there is a good story. And I cannot fairly judge the story because I've only seen a six-minute clip.

And what a clip! Assuming that they did the shoot over a weekend, you can be sure the cast and crew put in long hours on both days -- probably without pay. And that was only the beginning. The CGI effects were masterfully done, especially the motion control work where the digital images had to be synchronized with the jerky camera movements. I thought that could only be done on a large budget. Apparently not.

As for the originality of the robots, the model for Robocop, the Star Wars robots, and scores of others actually dates back to the early sixties. This is when actual robots (such as the Man Amplifer) were developed for industrial use. These designs inspired most of the Sci-Fi robots that followed, and frankly there's only so much you can do with robots from a creative standpoint. I think the ones depicted here are very convincing.

So I must say, I'm a little jealous, too. I don't know how Ricardo de Montreuil got the resources to pull this together, but he did it. Regardless of how good/or bad this movie turns out, he has a bright future ahead of him. And that should be an inspiration to all of us.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 AM   #18
Furious Anjel

Quote:
Look, seriously, I'm not ready for Hollywood, and I'm not pretending I am. I have three scripts, and they all suck. I'm not jealous. I've only been screenwriting for a year, and with how busy am I with work, I'v barely even been one the last 4 months. I do not care who gets money.

But I do care about quality movies, and the fact this could inspire a feature is nauseating.

The fact I like to write does not mean I don't get to be a critic, and it has nothing to do with jealousy.

You know that short was pointless and derivative.
Hi Hater.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #19
Captain Jack Sparrow

Looks great, story not so much. That about sums it up doesn't it.
Captain Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #20
Sinnycal

I'm not sure how writers could possibly be excited about this sort of thing becoming a trend.

If you put together a tech demo, which is essentially what this short is, you've demonstrated an ability to produce relatively high-quality digital effects on a small budget. To my mind, studios/prodcos should be looking at this and thinking, "we could use this guy to do compositing." They shouldn't be thinking, "wow, let's expand this into a feature!"

It's like hiring someone to design a skyscraper because he's a really good bricklayer. Sure, architects are pounding on your door with completed blueprints, but you just can't stop thinking about how amazing your neighbor's new brick driveway looked.
Sinnycal is offline   Reply With Quote