Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #21
JamesNI
User

Default Re: Predators

I don't think its an awful movie.. and like previously stated, the concept is solid.. but I don't think they knew what to do with it. Now that I have thought about it, I definitely hate the ending.
JamesNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #22
sherbetbizarre

I agree, and I enjoyed this trailer more than the movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBv4AsGVDxw
sherbetbizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #23
tinman01
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily blake View Post
Hmm. I liked the version of the script that I read. I wonder how far the film veered from that.
The script gave me hope too. Is it true they axed the prologue on earth? (with Adrian Brody character hunting someone through back alleys).
tinman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #24
Grandmaster

OMG! Arnold f*cking RULES! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFMB24FW7SI&NR=1
Grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #25
britwrit
User

Yup - no prologue on earth.

It's one of those movies where I can't find the energy to praise it or to be critical. A decent execution of a thoroughly generic premise.

If you are going to see it, I'd advise the bargain matinee instead of the cut-price DVD eight months from now. I suspect that it works a lot better up a big screen than on a much smaller television set.
britwrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #26
Recreant
Regular

When you have a movie that has both Adrien Brody and Topher Grace in it it's time to automatically lower expectations.
Recreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #27
Bono

I saw it and it was fun to watch -- far from great -- but loved nods to the first one (even the end song.)

And even better -- it was $6 bucks in NYC. I didn't think they had matinee prices anymore in the city and I've been to many first showings, but somehow I got the price of the 1987 movie ticket to see original Predator in 2010. It was X-Mas.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #28
Gwai Lo

Just got back. I thought it was fun but it was definitely a retread. Very predictable, and it stuck too close to the beats of the original PREDATOR. Which is a weird criticism for me to make because I always thought PREDATOR 2 strayed too far from the original (but I still like that one too). It's like they overcompensated by playing everything safe and familiar. But then SPOILER I really expected the ending to crib from PREDATOR 2 and have a bunch of Predators come down and pat Adrien Brody on the back for doing a good job, Danny Glover style. Respecting a badass hunter and whatnot. That was my favorite idea in PREDATOR 2, if they're going to acknowledge anything from that movie it seems like a worthy nod. But instead it's a total non-ending, they just walk off like "let's go get off this planet". Uhh.. there is no way to get off, at least no way established by the plot. The ship blew up. Get off with each other. And then have fun filling Larry Fishburne's role. END SPOILER.

What else? The predator dogs were stupid. Why the hell would the predators need them? Oh, right, for one action scene, then they're summarily dropped. The other species of Pumpkinheads that were dropped down in the cages had zero to do with anything. Why even bother? The planet/moon was a bit too Earth-like. Which wouldn't bug me, but when Topher Grace starts quoting the Latin names for plants and stuff it's kind of WTF from a hard sci-fi perspective. Unless the Predators made the planet/moon very Earth-like to make humans more comfortable. But comfort doesn't really seem like their top priority.

Regardless, it was a fun time at the movies and felt like a decent throwback to eighties action. Especially in the dregs of this summer. I think they were trying to a) make it feel like the original and b) expand the scope in the same way ALIENS blew up the groundwork laid by ALIEN. They did a decent job with a) but the story was a bit too rote to do a respectable job of b). I saw it with three other people and we all pretty much agreed with each other about everything I've typed up here.
Gwai Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #29
EvilRbt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai Lo View Post
Regardless, it was a fun time at the movies and felt like a decent throwback to eighties action. Especially in the dregs of this summer.
I felt the same way.

NOTES / COVERAGE
10,000+ Screenplays
DD Thread Facebook
screenplaymechanic@gmail.com
EvilRbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #30
instant_karma

I'll also agree with the previous 2 comments. Nothing spectacular, nothing terrible.

Was a bit distracted throughout the movie by the fact that the IDF chick from certain angles looked like Michael Jackson.