Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Five

The first trailer premiered yesterday. And honestly I think it looks eh. I'm an action nut, and I actually enjoy these films, they're sometimes a brainless yet surprisingly fun time at the movies. But this one looks a tad bland. It appears to contain nothing we haven't seen before, not just in the franchise, but in other action films as well. Lots of rip-off moments. Only unique element seems to be the vault dragging at the end, but it's so ridiculous it makes you laugh. Speaking of action, it appears to be just that. Lots of car flips, screeching tires, hot chicks, and cliche one liners. Which is fine since that usually makes up these films anyway, but it seems this time it's all just on overkill with absolutely no story and nothing to really make it stand out. Was there even a script for this one? Doesn't appear so. And the "mission impossible" line? Cringeworthy.

Trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fastandfuriousmovie
    Last edited by scripto80; 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM. Reason: I was too harsh...

Re: Fast Five

Well, I liked parts 1 and 3, was bored by parts 2 and 4, and I have an exact opposite reaction to this trailer than you did.

I expected it to suck, but surprisingly it looks like a great time at the movies. Rock is a good addition and seems to be bringing a bit of new dynamic to the film. And most importantly, the action and stunts look awesome. Very old-school, all-practical approach. No CGI in sight. There were several very impressive stunts in there.

I'm actually looking forward to this now.

Also, the trailer has been getting some pretty great reactions around internet, and while Rock doesn't have much drawing power on his own, the combo of Vin and Rock is going to give the film a lot of hype. Should open around 70 million.

Comment

I liked the first one quite a bit. Only saw one of the next two (can't recall which, but it was torturous), and the fourth was pathetic. Not even Jordanna Brewster and a brief appearance by Michelle Rodriguez could save it.

Needless to say, I think these films reached their peak at the first installment and have been working their way down ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
        I liked the first one quite a bit. Only saw one of the next two (can't recall which, but it was torturous), and the fourth was pathetic. Not even Jordanna Brewster and a brief appearance by Michelle Rodriguez could save it.

Needless to say, I think these films reached their peak at the first installment and have been working their way down ever since.
        The 3rd one, the one that happens in Japan, is pretty good. Not as good as the first one, but still pretty good. The 2nd one is rather weak, so your probably saw that one.

Comment

I kinda liked 2 Fast 2 Furious for Cole Hauser's performance and for Eva Mendes. And hey, it made a profit.
          "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
          -Maya Angelou

Comment

WTF? That Point Break rip-off has spun four sequels!?!
            Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Not POINT BREAK, NO MAN'S LAND with Charlie Sheen - it's about a good looking blond gear head rookie cop who infilitrates a gang of car thieves, falls in love with the lead thief's sister (etc) - same exact story almost beat for beat. Made years before POINT BREAK...

When I saw POINT BREAK I thought it was the rip off of NO MAN'S LAND... except I had also seen HOUSE OF BAMBOO and STREET WITH NO NAME and all of the other films with that plot.

I think one of the things these films have done right (except for #2) is give us a different kind of car racing in each film.

- Bill
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I never actually expected to see Vin Diesel and The Rock in the same movie outside of some kind of Village People biopic.

Which I would totally watch.
                "Only nothing is impossible."
                - Grant Morrison

Comment

Lmao!
                  "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                  - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

i dont think they can do any worse than the one in Japan with the dude from Sling Blade as the lead and that annoying southern accent and Bow Wow with the over-the-top hype man role who looks like he has no place in the movie....just the fact somebody stuck him in for marketing purposes.

this doesn't look awful to the point where it won't make a good profit though, and i don't just mean a few million over the budget either. i'll probably check it on netflix.
                    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Saw it at the weekend. Had a blast. Vin Diesel vs The Rock! Really gotta leave your brain at the door 'cause there are a lot of moments that really defy believability.

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
                        Really gotta leave your brain at the door...
                        Code for "shitty screenwriting".

I think we should stop calling these type of films "turn your brain off" movies and just start calling them "movies", because more often than not, you almost have to check your brain at the door in order to have a good time at the cinema.

Wake me when a "turn your brain on" movie comes out.

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

For all the "leave your brain at the door" folks, what exactly is the limit of it? at what point will you actually say, "ok, what I'm watching is complete crap."

If I'm gonna leave my brain at the door, why even bother with a script? This is a serious question.

Why not have the following:

Steve: Blergh
                            John: Wuh you mean by that, yo
                            Steve: I think we needs cereal.
                            [insert car chase to get cereal]

My point is, when is 'enough already!' enough?

note: I should say that I'm excited to check this film. I enjoyed the trailers.

Comment

the roc looks like he will rip a dude in half in this film.
                              One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                              X