No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Project X

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
    All I ask of guys when writing female characters, especially female leads (which is great since there are so few films w/female leads) -- do a little research.

You're writing about a single Mom - great. Visit some sites and message boards where single Moms share what they experience, how they feel. Even if you were raised by a single Mom, there's a good chance your Mom kept many feelings and fears to herself and other things of which you're unaware.

I think it's ironic that some of the other posters (not you specifically) who express less empathy toward how women are portrayed in the media also seem to possess ideas about women which they absorbed from the media.

The web is a great tool -- you can get first hand insight on virtually anyone in any lifestyle in any situation. Use it. Try to avoid using characterizations of women from the very same media industry that continues to distort the female experience, the female POV. It will make a big difference.
    Sage advice!
    And before anyone else says it... speaking of irony - I know my signature line makes for an interesting juxtaposition with my post, but that particular song speaks to me personally based on a bad relationship I had years ago with (of course) a single mom. That was just about rock bottom for yours truly, hanging outside the bars in Koreantown. But that is another story completely.
    In the evening when the sun is sinkin' low
    Everybody's with the one they love
    I walk the town, Keep a-searchin' all around
    Lookin' for my street corner girl
    - Zep

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
      This thread is damaging my calm.
      +1

Comment

All I ask of guys when writing female characters, especially female leads (which is great since there are so few films w/female leads) -- do a little research.
        I keep trying but it always ends with Get away from me you weirdo and threats of mace and 911 calls.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Working...
        X