Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: #OscarsSoWhite

Well, I don't see a problem. Surely the U.S.A. is great for people of any colour. I mean, just look at how successful Donald Trump is, even though he's such a repugnant shade of orange.
    Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
    "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

that shade is called: Oompa Loompa Orange or Loompa Orange for short.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
        Here's a tip for anyone in Hollywood for the rest of the awards season. You will be asked at some point (during an interview, on the red carpet) your opinion on #OscarSoWhite. Do not make the same mistake Charlotte Rampling made and actually answer a baiting question honestly!

There is only ONE acceptable answer to this question, regardless of how you actually feel.

When asked, (and you will be... the media doesn't care about anything else) begin by expressing how 'disappointed' you are, and how 'terrible' it is, how we need 'change', and make sure you mention that it's 'not just Hollywood', but 'everywhere'. Try to look concerned.

Then, make some kind of vague, generalized statement along the lines of how we need to 'start a dialogue', 'have a conversation' or 'bring something to the table', without actually saying anything specific. This is key.

Okay, so I wrote the above in jest, but it was one of those 'funny because it's true' type situations.

Apparently the Hollywood PR reps are working overtime getting Oscar attendees to rehearse their 'spontaneous' answers to any diversity questions on the red carpet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/11/mo...ef=movies&_r=0

If I wasn't so lazy (and I am) I would start a Twitter account just to post the best Non-Answer Answers to diversity questions (which are always a passionate declaration that 'something needs to be done' without ever actually stating what that 'something' might be, out of fear of violating one of the many rules regarding What White People Are Allowed To Say Anymore).

From the linked article:

Tom McCarthy - "“I’m quite excited about the discussion... I have a lot of faith in community — to be progressive and be inclusive. Keep pushing the needle!”

Sylvester Stallone - "“The continental shelf has slid, and it’s not going backward. I think it’s a great thing. It’s necessary... It’s a matter of getting a new paradigm, a new way of thinking.” (this one is extra funny if you read it out loud in a bad Sly accent).

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
          Okay, so I wrote the above in jest, but it was one of those 'funny because it's true' type situations.

Apparently the Hollywood PR reps are working overtime getting Oscar attendees to rehearse their 'spontaneous' answers to any diversity questions on the red carpet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/11/mo...ef=movies&_r=0

If I wasn't so lazy (and I am) I would start a Twitter account just to post the best Non-Answer Answers to diversity questions (which are always a passionate declaration that 'something needs to be done' without ever actually stating what that 'something' might be, out of fear of violating one of the many rules regarding What White People Are Allowed To Say Anymore).

From the linked article:

Tom McCarthy - ""I'm quite excited about the discussion... I have a lot of faith in community - to be progressive and be inclusive. Keep pushing the needle!-

Sylvester Stallone - ""The continental shelf has slid, and it's not going backward. I think it's a great thing. It's necessary... It's a matter of getting a new paradigm, a new way of thinking.- (this one is extra funny if you read it out loud in a bad Sly accent).
          thanks for keeping it real, white person!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
            thanks for keeping it real, white person!
            You're welcome.

Unfortunately, snarky comments and sarcasm in lieu of actual dialog is the reason we'll never get anywhere. Which is why, I suspect, Twitter is the preferred method of communication for the Social Justice crowd. 140 characters isn't enough space for anything reasoned or well thought-out: Just snappy zingers and hashtags!

Here's one of the 500 pieces the NY Times published this year (they've actually re-named the Arts & Entertainment section the Diversity Pages...... oh, relax, I'm kidding):

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/ar...hollywood.html

It's a long editorial by Aziz Ansari about the lack of Indian actors in Hollywood (although he admits that his own auditions for The Social Network and The Martian were disastrous, he says the producers should have "tried harder" to find another Indian actor who was better). I don't have a problem with it except for the fact that Aziz never addresses the obvious fact that one of the reasons there aren't a ton of Indian actors is the same reason there aren't a ton of Indian garbage men or plumbers. It's not seen as a 'serious' aspiration. There's so much parental pressure on Asian-Americans to excel in fields that are lucrative and secure, there's not much room for dreams or personal fulfillment.

And that's fine, sometimes. But to not admit it is a lie of omission that undermines the credibility of the diversity argument. And so does calling me biased for pointing it out.

Comment

Working...
            X