Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #101
Presto
User

Default Re: Nicholl 2013...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfress View Post
No doubt there's always people who 'just miss' in tournament like settings. But of those 7k or so scripts, how many would you say(I know it would be a total educated guess) really have no shot and not because of genre. But because people tend to over rate themselves as a writer.
Not sure if it's fair to ask Greg that.

From a personally perspective I thought my first script was great. Five specs later, I cringe when I read it now. It was really pretty damn poor.

Obviously the Nicholl is by far the best contest out there. I have been a finalist in other contests and never received a read request as a result of that placing. With the Nicholl, I had 14+ following the Nicholl's mailout after placing in the semis. And indeed, quoting the Nicholl semis placement I'm sure opened some doors when I send out queries myself.

We all know the Nicholl's going to attract the best non-pro writers. And yeah there are some damn good non-pro writers out there. Just write the best script you possibly can, and enter it. Keep your fingers crossed and who knows what may happen. I'm hoping us DD souls we put up another great Nicholl showing this year.
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #102
gregbeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfress View Post
No doubt there's always people who 'just miss' in tournament like settings. But of those 7k or so scripts, how many would you say(I know it would be a total educated guess) really have no shot and not because of genre. But because people tend to over rate themselves as a writer.

Looking back, I know the first two times I entered Nichol, I had no shot and didn't know it. Loose structure. Long winded dialogue. There's got to be about 75% of that field can probably be easily be eliminated by page 30. That would leave about two thousand scripts fighting for the 350 or so QF spots. I can understand how competitive and close the scores can be.
As has already been pointed out, there's not really a way to answer this question.

No shot whatsoever? The scripts that exhibit little screenwriting skill or storytelling ability? That's probably 10 or 20% of all entries.

Then there's a vast middleground ranging from not very good through average up to pretty good. The problem is that the difference in terms of score between not so good and pretty good often has to do with an element - the characters, the arena, some bits of funny dialogue, etc. - appealing to a reader who then overlooks other apparently glaring faults.

Most of these scripts eventually fall by the wayside and don't advance - but every once in a while, an element is so appealing that it proves attractive to two first round readers and the script advances to the quarterfinal round. No telling when this might happen, but it does happen occasionally every year.

The "pretty good" category certainly extends into the top 2000 and probably reaches the top 1000 - and the difference between "pretty good" and "good" is minimal - also mostly a matter of taste and connection with a particular script.

I've mentioned this before - but to see similar scoring discrepancies in action, just visit Rotten Tomatoes and contemplate the ratings for films you like and those you don't like. How could 20 or 30 or 50 or 80% of film reviewers come down on the wrong side of your own taste?

And yet they do - all the time. The same thing happens with screenplays and judges.
gregbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #103
Richmond Weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbeal View Post
Most of these scripts eventually fall by the wayside and don't advance - but every once in a while, an element is so appealing that it proves attractive to two first round readers and the script advances to the quarterfinal round. No telling when this might happen, but it does happen occasionally every year.
This happened to me. I think my premise and my third act were enough to get me into the QFs a few years ago, but once the competition was narrowed down to those that actually knew what they were doing (and I wasn't one of them), my script fell by the wayside.
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #104
LauriD

Greg -

The stats about the number of scripts entered are on the Nicholl site -- 7,197 in 2012. But since people can enter up to 3 scripts each, how many unique entrants were there?

Thanks!
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #105
gregbeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriD View Post
Greg -

The stats about the number of scripts entered are on the Nicholl site -- 7,197 in 2012. But since people can enter up to 3 scripts each, how many unique entrants were there?

Thanks!
As I responded on the Academy Nicholl Facebook page, we have no easy way to count unique individuals. Our super-duper, robust database doesn't include the search, but I think we have some convoluted route that may get to the result.

Best I can do right now is guess that the number of unique entrants was in the mid-5000s last year. Plus or minus 500.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #106
Hasil Adkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbeal View Post
As I responded on the Academy Nicholl Facebook page, we have no easy way to count unique individuals.
Export the name field to Excel, tab-->Data, click "remove duplicates".
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #107
gregbeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasil Adkins View Post
Export the name field to Excel, tab-->Data, click "remove duplicates".
Yeah, that would work - if our wonderful database allowed a simple export of, say, the name field. It does not. As I mentioned, there is a convoluted workaround, but it's a tad too much trouble at the moment.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #108
gregbeal

This was asked in a pm. Since it might of interest to others, I have copied the question and my answer.

Q. Are writers who submit their scripts closer to the May 1 deadline at a disadvantage compared to the writers who submitted their script earlier back in January, February, etc...

Or in other words, is there any advantage of entering your script during the early bird registration period instead of submitting late April. (e.g. less slots for later submitted scripts because a lot of earlier scripts have already been selected to go to next round)?

A. It's less expensive. Otherwise, there is no advantage.

No scripts are selected for the quarterfinal round until July when all third reads are conducted. No matter when a first or second read takes place, all third reads are held until after all second reads have been completed. In order to advance, a script must have been read three times.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #109
gregbeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriD View Post
Greg -

Thanks!
After some hoop-jumping, the 2012 unique entrants seem to number about 5,781.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #110
Richmond Weems

I've always liked to think I'm unique, and Greg just confirmed it.

(So Mother was right.)
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote