Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
slopnik
Regular

Question Working and the non-working producers

Would you send a query to a company that did not have anything made since 2013 (or 2014) and had no projects in planning?

The amount of data one finds on the internet is enormous, and I am trying to narrow it down to a couple of thousand names.
slopnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
catcon

Default Re: Working and the non-working producers

A free email query? What do you have to lose? Well, "time", I guess.

I won't name names, but there are some I send queries to, in this category.

I think some are close to retirement (if one ever does retire, in this biz), or are just waiting for "that special project" to come along, after having had earlier success (and living off of it).

I know a couple who seemed to go silent for over a dozen years, but something happened (or they just got bored) and are now re-developing projects. They're out there.

So, sure, I'd hit them up.

Of course, I'd prioritize those who's past projects were pretty good, over those who's past ones are rated 3s and 4s on IMDB, eh?

Edit/Add: Another thing, a lead is a lead. If you're a nobody, an out-of-towner, or an oldster (I'm all three, unfortunately), you had better tread very carefully when you discriminate your potential buyers. At the pre-repped or unsold stage, a champion for one of our scripts is as good as it can get. There are all kinds of ways to break in, and some new ways yet to be invented.

Last edited by catcon : 03-13-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: remembered something...
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:54 AM   #3
slopnik
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
What do you have to lose? Well, "time", I guess.
You are right; it is foremost about the time that one spends doing this.

I will soon start to assemble all the data I can find on IMDB, and it seems that I will have to deal with a five-figure number of production companies.

On one side, I hope that IMDB will offer all the data that it promises I mean the emails of producers or people under them.

On the other hand, I must prioritize.

I have no problem to store 3-5000 specific companies and then go through them step by step.

I also want to avoid using companies that send your queries in bulks to hundreds of production companies.

Targeting a specific person at a company, addressing him by his name, and at least trying to find a project that might interest him is my personal goal.
And that will take an enormous amount of time.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopnik View Post
I have no problem to store 3-5000 specific companies and then go through them step by step.

I also want to avoid using companies that send your queries in bulks to hundreds of production companies.
You shouldn't really have to be doing this nor do I think you should be. Thousands of companies to go through step by step??

IMDB is popular with folks for contact info and credits. Absolutely. But you can use a site like ours much easier to quickly figure out who to target and narrow your list down much quicker. (And if you don't like us, then there's probably someone else to try.)

By using our deals search/archive page, you can research the genre of your script and see what companies have been picking up scripts & stories similar to yours over the last six moths. Year. Two years. Three years. Etc. It's easy to generate a list of companies much more inclined to what you want to query. And not only by genre, but you can research keywords in the loglines to see what other scripts might be out there with similar elements: astronaut, vampire, talking dog, basketball team, doctor, dragon, knights, etc.

Save yourself some effort and generate a targeted list in very little time, rather than trying to comb through a list of thousands of company names trying to figure out who to write or not. I know for fact there are folks who do this exact thing with our site and IMDBpro. We will also have contact info --though not to the level of IMDBpro -- but still you might find info that helps in certain cases.

Up to you, of course. And again, if we're not right for you for whatever reason, at least try to find someone who offers something like we do so you can spend more time continuing to write.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 03-15-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:34 AM   #5
slopnik
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
IMDB is popular with folks for contact info and credits. Absolutely. But you can use a site like ours much easier to quickly figure out who to target and narrow your list down much quicker. (And if you don't like us, then there's probably someone else to try.)
Thanks for your advice. I will definitely keep it on my to-do list because, as you said, it takes time and money to get to what each of us needs from this mountain of data that is available.

Unfortunately, for me, my internet connection is as reliable as our politicians are they always take their monthly check, but never deliver on their promises.

That is why I always save all the data I need on my PC, so that it is available for additional research wherever I have or have not my all so reliable internet connection.