No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Write the Right Script by Chris Lockhart

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    the reason it didn't work is because my manager wasn't really a manager, and i didn't realize that. he really wanted to be a producer on both projects. he did get me a very high powered lawyer who i don't know if he will still rep me, since he added me as a favor for my old manager. i figured if i ever got close to a sale i'd call him then. idk, that sounds kind of stupid now that i've typed it out.

i haven't contacted the other manager that wanted me to sign with because i want to get my ducks in a row. Tracker and Wasteland only went out to a handful of people. i don't know who they all were, some, but not all.

i want to be in a position to appear as attractive a candidate as possible.

so... i'm trying to be strategic. when this spec (Swipe Right) is done i will query with Tracker again. i don't know why i had it in my head that i couldn't. it's written as a set up to a franchise with potential prequel and sequels. anyway, i'm beginning to repeat myself. haha.

my feature epic sci-fi Wasteland:The sixth State i've got two strategies... 1) rewrite the TV pilot and 2) create a book proposal to sent out. if that doesn't work i may just write the novel.

i thought it important to show i have more than one spec, so i needed to have another ready. i have two ready to rewrite that i'll work on (action thrillers) one male lead, one female lead. i'll be able, i think, to get those out within a few months.

not to mention, right now i am able to write full time and i can get to LA easily and with short notice. i thought that would be a plus, too. i'm in a good position to focus on my writing career full time.

i also have an idea for a contained thriller with limited characters set in a limited location because i now know those can get you noticed quickly.

the $100+ feature of Wasteland, people like but every single comment came back with: too expensive for an original IP. nothing went out wide, which is what i'd like, but it's because of the budget. it went out to a handful of people. i wrote a feature and a pilot. Wasteland does have comedy as well as a rom-com relationship budding. so i am able to use comedy to bring levity to dark subject matter.

i think the black list review of my Wasteland pilot said: "literally every scene is ground up world building... it would be the single most expensive project in network history." they also said that the idea and concept are good and needed, but the budget has to be brought down significantly.

so, i've been taking a lot of those Masterclasses: Sorkin, Rhimes, Mamet, Gaimen, Patterson, Howard, Foster, Lynch, Spike Lee, Scorsese... there's like 34 Masterclasses i'm working my way through, because i knew i didn't understand some fundamental aspects about making TV. i mean, the world is sufficiently large enough to support a series for several seasons-- the world is Game of Thrones big. so if i'm going to do a pilot, then i've got to make some choices about what i include in the pilot.

i absolutely love the opening page of the pilot. just the one page makes me proud. i want to see it filmed, you know.

i don't think i've ever had a rom-com/action idea, b/c the genre was never on my radar. look, i understand the reality, most likely i'll be the only one that loves my rom-com. and that's okay. writing it in the first place has really shown me that i was wrong, i can write some funny.

aplogies, i know i'm a chatty cathy.

thanks again, Bono.
    Unless you are trying to make a movie yourself, don't worry about the budget in writing stage. They only make 0 dollar movies or 200 million dollar movies, so sounds like your scripts are perfect. It's the small budget movie they don't seem to make anymore. They don't want to spend 50-75 million on the drama movie with Harrison Ford, they would rather spend 150 million on a superhero movie. Welcome to new Hollywood!

Comment

Working...
    X