Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
figment

Default Imagine Impact 3

Imagine-Impact 3 is open for submissions.

Enter date: June 11 - June 28, 2019

https://www.imagine-impact.com/

Good luck.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
finalact4

Default Re: Imagine Impact 3

i'm wondering if anyone could offer up some personal experience with this process? unlike other submission-like contests, there is very little out there to help writers better understand the process and how to best apply.

curious.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
lostfootage
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
i'm wondering if anyone could offer up some personal experience with this process? unlike other submission-like contests, there is very little out there to help writers better understand the process and how to best apply.

curious.
I just logged in to ask the same exact question. Has anyone moved past the first round with this one? I am mostly worried about the video. I'm extremely shy and hate video and photographs -- like at the phobia level. I have edited video (of my bands playing, I play bass with my back to the camera, fwiw) and can do the technical part of making a 30 second clip. It's the facing the camera part that is hard. And I'm sure they won't entertain any gimmicks to hide my face. ah, blech. But I have a script I want to submit so I want to get over this hurdle.
lostfootage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfootage View Post
I just logged in to ask the same exact question. Has anyone moved past the first round with this one?
It sounds like they want stuff that can get made. Commercially bent but with a level of substance. (?)

This is from Reddit from someone who got selected last time. He was in Australia, and his project was a TV series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...ottom-comments

This is from that thread:
Question: ...My question is about the 2nd round of the application process. What questions were asked and what else was required of you at this stage? Was the interview via phone or email?

Answer: ... It was a skype/video chat and all of the questions were in regards to the project. Series overview, character arcs, what do you see as the season finale, future seasons. It all comes down to your concept and your ability to deliver on it. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #5
lostfootage
Regular

Thank you, figment! Very helpful... I just read through it. I forget to search reddit for answers.

Also, if you had two different scripts that you feel are equal quality -- one is a feature, and one is a 35-page half-hour TV pilot, would you send the pilot? Because it's shorter? I actually think the half-hour form is harder than a feature to nail, but it's easier to read when it's working. Is that crazy logic?

Also, I found this bit from another reddit, which is a load off.

"There's a private Facebook group for Imagine screenwriters, and a few people mentioned that for I.I 1 they tried to be creative/funny and it didn't work, and then one person mentioned how they (or someone they know) got in to I.I 2 by being authentic and simple in their video."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti..._are_now_open/

So I won't try to be super creative in 30 seconds, but rather make sure my sound is well done and just be straightforward in the video answer.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:19 AM   #6
figment

Quote:

Also, if you had two different scripts that you feel are equal quality -- one is a feature, and one is a 35-page half-hour TV pilot, would you send the pilot?
I think Ron Howard said somewhere that over half the applications were for a feature and since it's divided by 4 categories, that was where the most competition was. So in that case, you might want to send your pilot, as long as they're of equal quality, because there is less competition.

the categories you can enter are: (I think)
--features = 5 writers
--pilot for tv series = 5 writers (I'm guessing traditional network show)
--pilot for a limited run tv show = 5 writers (I'm guessing HBO, Hulu, Netflix, etc)
--animation = 5 writers

BUT don't take my word for this, because I can't remember where I read this. Is this breakdown on the application? Was it on a deadline article? I can't remember. And I haven't been able to find it again (yet) by googling. Anyone?
Old 06-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
finalact4

Quote:
I just logged in to ask the same exact question. Has anyone moved past the first round with this one? I am mostly worried about the video. I'm extremely shy and hate video and photographs -- like at the phobia level. I have edited video (of my bands playing, I play bass with my back to the camera, fwiw) and can do the technical part of making a 30 second clip. It's the facing the camera part that is hard. And I'm sure they won't entertain any gimmicks to hide my face. ah, blech. But I have a script I want to submit so I want to get over this hurdle.
know what i did?

i typed up my response for the video and made it small like the size of an index card then taped it to my laptop immediately below the camera and just tried to look like i was looking right at the camera speaking, really fast. haha.

it took a couple takes but it was my first time and the best i could do. i managed to get it right at 30 sec.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
I think Ron Howard said somewhere that over half the applications were for a feature and since it's divided by 4 categories, that was where the most competition was. So in that case, you might want to send your pilot, as long as they're of equal quality, because there is less competition.

the categories you can enter are: (I think)
--features = 5 writers
--pilot for tv series = 5 writers (I'm guessing traditional network show)
--pilot for a limited run tv show = 5 writers (I'm guessing HBO, Hulu, Netflix, etc)
--animation = 5 writers

BUT don't take my word for this, because I can't remember where I read this. Is this breakdown on the application? Was it on a deadline article? I can't remember. And I haven't been able to find it again (yet) by googling. Anyone?
the category formats are:
TV half hour
TV hour long
Feature
Old 06-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
finalact4

okay, so i got the video down to 30 secs to read. now i just have to memorize it. ugh! so nerve-racking.

i keep changing the actor and director selection. how to choose. by your favorite film maker or your favorite in the genre? Speilberg or Fincher?

Last edited by finalact4 : 06-23-2019 at 09:14 PM.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #10
lostfootage
Regular

Well... I'm partial to Fincher, it's the more unusual choice. I love his stuff so much. Of course, it's personal.

Congratulations! On getting to the video already. I have not started yet. I'm starting to write out answers to their questions.