Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ice Cold Genres?

When it comes down to it, what we choose to write (and why) is a very personal thing.

I have my reasons for choosing the genres & subjects of my scripts, and others have theirs. I would never tell anyone not to write in a particular genre --even if it was ice cold-- if that writer's heart was really into telling that story.

The marketplace will tell them soon enough if they chose wisely.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

just think people... if you write a fantastic "ice-cold" genre script, go against the grain because it is something you feel strong about, then when some producer has the cojones to "ask, read, inquire" about this particular genre, then they won't have to sort through 50,000 others to get to yours because yours will be just one of a handful... more likely to get a read

So, go ahead and write that behind-the-scenes animated Mrs. Jesse James javelin throwing mobster driven rom-com that takes place inside a child's anal cavity as he gets his annual exam on the planet Neptune
      "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Moviequill View Post
        that takes place inside a child's anal cavity as he gets his annual exam on the planet Neptune

Comment

I think the world is ready for another llama movie.

Comment

[QUOTE=Terrance Mulloy;397168]I'm far from being an expert - but I have to strongly disagree there. Reason being, there's around 3-4 mid sized studio projects in development (and when I say in development, I mean actors, financing and directors are all firmly attached) that are Zombie related.<<

You're right and you prove my point. The original question was, what's cold in terms of the market right now. There are so many zombie/vampire pics already set up and in the pipeline that the market for specs set in the subgenre is very cold. In fact, all you have to do is try and pitch a zombie or vampire pic for people to roll their eyes at you, i.e., the market is totally unreceptive to these types of scripts.

Comment

what about werewolf scripts? eh?

Comment

Hey...how many guinea pig scripts are in production right now?

Werewolves are SO 20th century. Why not werellamas instead?

Maybe we should think outta the box... =]

Comment

look, i have a werewolf script with a new twist and that's damn well good enough (a twist). someone buy it! now!

Comment

Originally posted by Bellabell View Post
                    On the other side of the spectrum, what is considered 'Red Hot' right now?
                    For specs: horror (but not creature-features), slacker romcoms, teen thrillers, the usual family stuff and, suprisingly, musicals.

However, as Moviequill suggested, if you go into any of the above, you'll find out that you're competing with hundreds and hundreds and hundreds.

Comment

Originally posted by Scripted77 View Post
                      look, i have a werewolf script with a new twist and that's damn well good enough (a twist). someone buy it! now!
                      I have a werewolf story that's long in the tooth and has a twist in it's tale..

I also have a vampire story that's long in the tooth and a pain in the neck..

I thought is was funny...

Comment

Werewolf...twist...hmmm...

A horror/comedy about a gay werewolf. That could work!

Comment

Queerwolf?

nah, that won't work at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Scripted77 View Post
                            Queerwolf?

nah, that won't work at all.
                            Could have a gay vampire. "Gaylord of the night"... Maybe not

Comment

Originally posted by Moviequill View Post
                              So, go ahead and write that behind-the-scenes animated Mrs. Jesse James javelin throwing mobster driven rom-com that takes place inside a child's anal cavity as he gets his annual exam on the planet Neptune
                              Hmmmmm (lightbulb clicks on)
                              @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                                You're right and you prove my point. The original question was, what's cold in terms of the market right now. There are so many zombie/vampire pics already set up and in the pipeline that the market for specs set in the subgenre is very cold. In fact, all you have to do is try and pitch a zombie or vampire pic for people to roll their eyes at you, i.e., the market is totally unreceptive to these types of scripts.
                                And that's why my above list, is pretty much guaranteed to get them eyes 'a rollin' back into those skulls.

On the flipside of that coin, I'd bet my measly bank balance, that a lot of "eye rolling" happens in every genre. Reason being, a lot of specs all follow the same thread. Very few stand out from the pack.

That's my 2 cents (bare in mind, it's my only 2 cents)
                                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                                X