Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Michael connolly

I've no agreement with him. However, he loves my idea and writing (not the screenplay as written).

He felt my script was too dramatic for a sci-fi action film but thought "You're an excellent writer and have the wwriting chops to be a pro".

I was flattered. However, he decided at the last minute that he himself wanted to option the script via his contacts instead of repping it.

Having said that, I am in a "wait and see" mode with him as he doesn't always respond or keep me up to date with what's going on.

He's a straight talker when he responds. I like the guy and considering his track record so far i.e. How to train You Dragon> I'd only wish he has "signed me".

I wrote two rewrites but otherwise, it's wait and see.

Anyone deal with Mike and if so, what's your impression or experience with him? When we speak over the phone, I always feel like he's a cool guy I'd want to hang out with not just have as a manager.

Rich
    sigpicWriting is re-writing

Re: Michael connolly

Originally posted by pickerman123 View Post
    I've no agreement with him. However, he loves my idea and writing (not the screenplay as written).

He felt my script was too dramatic for a sci-fi action film but thought "You're an excellent writer and have the wwriting chops to be a pro".

I was flattered. However, he decided at the last minute that he himself wanted to option the script via his contacts instead of repping it.

Having said that, I am in a "wait and see" mode with him as he doesn't always respond or keep me up to date with what's going on.

He's a straight talker when he responds. I like the guy and considering his track record so far i.e. How to train You Dragon> I'd only wish he has "signed me".

I wrote two rewrites but otherwise, it's wait and see.

Anyone deal with Mike and if so, what's your impression or experience with him? When we speak over the phone, I always feel like he's a cool guy I'd want to hang out with not just have as a manager.

Rich
    I find these kinds of posts interesting. Unless the person in question is a totally marginal figure or scammer, people aren't typically going to give you any negative opinions.

Comment

I given what I always give. An honest appraisal of the person I'm dealing with. I could care less if he was the CEO of Sony I'd still give an honest opinion, even if it were a negative one.

For the record, I've disagreed with Michael on a great deal of his ideas on my screenplay rewrites and I stuck to my own and he was respectful. I wasn't worried that I'd piss him off and he'd cease communicating with me.

Could he do better at communicating with me? Yes. But I also respect he has multiple projects on the works and he puts in the time he thinks he can. It's a two way street when it comes to creating a relationship with someone who may be an important component of one's career. Time and only time will tell whether I'm fortunate enough to sell my script to a major studio.

Comment

Could I have Mr. Connolly contact info please?

thanks,

Comment

Could I have Mr. Connolly contact info please?

thanks,
          Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by snwrist View Post
            Lol!
            Why's that funny?

Comment

Originally posted by dwightman View Post
              Why's that funny?
              That's funny because if the OP gave you Connolly's contact info
              not only would Connolly not speak to you,
              he probably wouldn't speak to the OP anymore either.

Comment

That's exactly right. Thanks for clearing that up. We each should respect those in the business who take the time to contact us and consider our work. Giving out personal contact info (at least for me) is a professional no-no.

Regards,
                Rich

Comment

Originally posted by MrDelaney View Post
                  That's funny because if the OP gave you Connolly's contact info

not only would Connolly not speak to you,

he probably wouldn't speak to the OP anymore either.
                  Is that why it was funny???

I thought it was funny because the OP was implying they'd had a somewhat frustrating experience with Connelly yet people still wanted to query him.

I have a twisted sense of humor, though.
                  "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by pickerman123 View Post
                    Giving out personal contact info (at least for me) is a professional no-no.
                    I would add that asking for it is also.

Comment

Nothing at all wrong with asking.

The funny thing is that a vast number of personal email addresses for senior industry people - including Connolly - are easily found through creative Google searching.
                      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I couldn't find anything about him on Google.

Originally posted by hscope View Post

The funny thing is that a vast number of personal email addresses for senior industry people - including Connolly - are easily found through creative Google searching.

Comment

Originally posted by dwightman View Post
                          I couldn't find anything about him on Google.
                          If you were able to find the website domain, or had DDPro (it's listed there), then there's the old trick of Google searching for email addresses. Hence:

"@domainname.com"

make sure you put in the quotes around the string.

In 99% of cases, the email structure becomes apparent from those email addresses that appear in the search list. Mr. Connolly's actually appears.

My own experience with the man is that he, among all brief responders I've come across, is the briefest. I think people in this business go on some sort of a course to learn to write with brevity. I mean, 2- and even 3-word responses! Totally insufficient, sometimes, requiring follow-up emails for explanation, which surely defeats the purpose.

Comment

Point taken.

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                              Ditto.

If you never asked for an email address then you'd basically never send an e-query to somebody unless their email was somehow posted for all to see. Sorry, people, but that's just dumb. It's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. Do what you gotta do.

In fact, I'll PM you a little present, dwightman, just to get the right message out there which is DON'T BE A *****!

PS: You're probably not finding anything on the internet about him because you're not spelling his last name right!
                              "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Working...
                              X