Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Saw the pilot, and it came off as adequate, courtesy of too much gloss. Clark Gregg and Ming-Na Wen were good, while the rest were soap opera fodder. In all, ABC/Disney looks way too eager in this production to be cool while owning Marvel Comics.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
    In all, ABC/Disney looks way too eager in this production to be cool while owning Marvel Comics.
    Well, yeah. BUT, I think I'd feel that way, too, if I had the Marvel universe AND Joss Whedon in my stable. I enjoyed the premiere... Especially when Coulson took the non-traditional routes (but hey, that actually may be the EXPECTED route when you remember that Joss is helming this). Definitely had some production money to throw around. Anyhow, it's now added to my watch list.

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
      Well, yeah. BUT, I think I'd feel that way, too, if I had the Marvel universe AND Joss Whedon in my stable. I enjoyed the premiere... Especially when Coulson took the non-traditional routes (but hey, that actually may be the EXPECTED route when you remember that Joss is helming this). Definitely had some production money to throw around. Anyhow, it's now added to my watch list.
      True, but giving a glossy focus of what's basically a support team (not that I don't like them) in the Marvel Comics Universe tells me a storytelling medium is being approached as the hot trend of today, emphasis on today. Guess I feel like Sam Jackson in "Unbreakable"...and this film is owned by Disney. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=omjySV9M7wo

I give Warner Bros a pass because they owned DC Comics longer.
      Last edited by Madbandit; 09-25-2013, 12:32 PM.
      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I'm a Marvel fan and a Joss Whedon superfan, so yeah, I'm happy. It's very vanilla, family-friendly, a bit too jokey, the characters aren't really interesting (Coulson and May aside), but it's a premise made for TV with tons of potential and good production value. As long as ABC lets them get a little bit darker, I'll enjoy watching it.
        Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

For a super secret organization, they sure like to stamp their logo on EVERYTHING.
          "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
          - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
            For a super secret organization, they sure like to stamp their logo on EVERYTHING.

Comment

I hate to say this because normally I don't pay too much attention to these things, but the show felt really... white. Everyone on that team with the exception Ming-Na Wen seemed so bland and unethnic. I'm not saying it should have been some cross section that had one token person from each race or anything, but something other than two techies from the UK (which is even whiter than white).

I don't think it really bugged me until the end at Union Station when they picked a fight with the most stereotypical looking Hispanic gang members and then had the black guy fall in front of a big painting celebrating diversity.

Like I said, this isn't something I normally pay too much attention to, but it really stuck out at me.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                I hate to say this because normally I don't pay too much attention to these things, but the show felt really... white. Everyone on that team with the exception Ming-Na Wen seemed so bland and unethnic. I'm not saying it should have been some cross section that had one token person from each race or anything, but something other than two techies from the UK (which is even whiter than white).

I don't think it really bugged me until the end at Union Station when they picked a fight with the most stereotypical looking Hispanic gang members and then had the black guy fall in front of a big painting celebrating diversity.

Like I said, this isn't something I normally pay too much attention to, but it really stuck out at me.
                Not surprised (Ron Glass's role is eye-wink to hard-core Whedon fans) .

"The Avengers" film had no ethnic heroes in their roster (Sam Jackson playing a character that's been noted for being white doesn't count), and I know the team has had minority members through their 50 year history. I know The Falcon will show up in the Captain America sequel, but will Black Panther in the team's direct sequels? Will Photon? Rage? Mantis? Living Lighting? Firebird/Espirita? Triathalon? Luke Cage?
                Last edited by Madbandit; 09-27-2013, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post

This is probably my biggest problem as well. I really enjoyed the pilot and I'm looking forward to where this goes, but yeah. That stuck out a bit. Hopefully over time they'll get more racially diverse. Buffy finally got a major black character in its last season, so that happened.
                  Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

For what it's worth, Chloe Bennet (Skye) is half-Chinese.
                    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Why you roll your eyes at me?
                      "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                      - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

"The Avengers" film had no ethnic heroes in their roster (Sam Jackson playing a character that's been noted for being white doesn't count),
                        Maybe I would see your comment in a different light if I'd seen The Avengers, but "playing a character that's been noted for being white doesn't count" strikes me as rather odd.

Recall the thread about casting a black actor to play Bond? Well, Bond is certainly a character noted for being white. Or maybe I don't know what you mean by "noted". I mean, was the character Sam Jackson played, in some earlier incarnation, a white supremacist? Or had he simply always been white?

BTW, I am not disagreeing with you - not yet, anyway. For now, mark me as "puzzled".

Comment

I liked it except for all the 'humor'.
                          It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                            Maybe I would see your comment in a different light if I'd seen The Avengers, but "playing a character that's been noted for being white doesn't count" strikes me as rather odd.

Recall the thread about casting a black actor to play Bond? Well, Bond is certainly a character noted for being white. Or maybe I don't know what you mean by "noted". I mean, was the character Sam Jackson played, in some earlier incarnation, a white supremacist? Or had he simply always been white?

BTW, I am not disagreeing with you - not yet, anyway. For now, mark me as "puzzled".
                            I wasn't saying that Sam shouldn't play a character that known to fanboys as white. I just found it a little disappointing under the circumstances that most minority heroes in the MCU don't get enough exposure to the mainstream public. Hope that clears things up.

Comment

Hope that clears things up.
                              Yeh. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X