Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adaptations you would like to write

Assassin's Creed flopped like so many video game adaptations before it and I'm sure it won't be the last. With Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid on the horizon I find myself conflicted. These are games that I love but these ones specifically are so cinematic that a film is not only pointless but loses something in the transition. A case could be made for using films to draw eyes to the original games but I suffered through the Max Payne film.

I think other games can benefit from adaptation though due to exposure and actual benefits that a film would have over the game. With that in mind what games would you personally like to adapt and why?

For me I think there are astounding films to be made out of To the Moon, Hotline Miami and Monkey Island. The fact that none of these exist let alone even thought of by the powers that be beggars belief. You could print money with a Monkey Island film.

Others lend themselves to TV. Expanding Mass Effect into a long running series is a no brainer. Mortal Kombat has such a rich mythology that deserves to be explored in a big budget series. Both of those would be huge hits if given the proper care.

And finally I'd love the Zero Escape series as an anime.

Re: Adaptations you would like to write

Far Cry 3 and 4 and smother all memory of the movie that was Far Cry

I think Vaas would be more fun
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
      Far Cry 3 and 4 and smother all memory of the movie that was Far Cry

I think Vaas would be more fun
      You could definitely make good films out of them. My issue with both games is that they had great openings and then it becomes standard Ubisoft fare. I feel 3 would probably have the better chance of getting made for Vaas alone.

Comment

Pong.

There's so much back and forth - lots of reversals. Clear, simple goal.

I'd do it in black and white.

Comment

For me, it would be Suikoden. I love that RPG series.
          I love Wing Commander, Mark Hamill is awesome. That is all.

Comment

Halo.

I went through a bunch of thought exercises with that one and I'm pretty sure I could put together a really kick ass script based on the original video game.
            You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

I'd be amazed if anyone on here knows it but there was a game years ago called ANOTHER WORLD (I think it was OUT OF THIS WORLD in the UK).
              it's the most atmospheric, poetic and weirdly moving story I've seen told in a videogame.
              that would be my vote for videogame adaptation.
              oh and THE NOMAD SOUL but that felt like a movie anyway.
              ironically I thought the Blade Runner videogame was a better sequel to the original movie than the Vileneuve flick, but there you go

Comment

I'd love to see some old school point and click adventures adapted to film: Broken Sword, Full Throttle, The Dig etc

Comment

I'm surprised no one mentioned GTA. You could argue the Fast and Furious series is a GTA writ large.

Comment

Anyone working on an adaptation of fortnite? They must be mustn't they?
                    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
                      I'd be amazed if anyone on here knows it but there was a game years ago called ANOTHER WORLD (I think it was OUT OF THIS WORLD in the UK).
                      it's the most atmospheric, poetic and weirdly moving story I've seen told in a videogame.
                      that would be my vote for videogame adaptation.
                      TravisPickle - Be amazed - you're not alone here - I played 'Another World' on an Amiga 500 back in 1991. (The game was called 'Another World' here in the UK.)

'Flashback' is another good cinematic-ish style game from that period.

Here are two suggestions for movie adaptations:
                      Pixar to make 'The New Zealand Story' (1988)
                      Studio Ghibli to make 'Cave Story' (2004)
                      But I'm not sure I'd want to write either of them.
                      Last edited by Crayon; 05-19-2018, 10:05 AM. Reason: add quote
                      Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                      "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                      X