Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
jtwg50

Default I agree with Writerly

Writerly is correct, I think. Like it or not, the screenwriting business is fraught with ways to be nailed as an "amateur" or wanna-be before you have a chance. Given the ungodly deluge of scripts registered with WGA every year, versus the relatively tiny number that are ever sold, or even accepted by bona fide agents and managers for representation, there is little or no margin for error in presentation and that all-important first impression.
That is precisely why I asked the question in the first place about how best to deliver my own script.
Anyone who thinks they can run fast and loose with accepted industry standards for writers is in for heartbreak. And rightly so. You might not be William Goldman or David Mamet or Charlie Kaufman, but to have a chance, you should at least have a perfectly formatted, error-free, aesthetically flawless script that gives you a fighting chance if there's magic on the page.
jtwg50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
yvonnjanae

Default Re: NEED PRO ADVICE -- Script delivery question

Well, since I haven't sold a script yet, I'm not in the business anyway.
Although I do submit in pdf -- because that's what is requested -- it starts out in Word. I guess they're falling all over themselves laughing at me.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb
yvonnjanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #13
jtwg50

Default For Yvonnjanae

I wasn't talking about PDF. I was talking about general considerations -- the right format, margins, type face and so on. It's a very judgmental trade, and if you don't appreciate that, you probably are in the wrong business.
If they can find any reason, quickly, to dismiss your script as a waste of time, they do -- simply as a result of the ever-growing, monster pile of (usually bad) scripts they have to plow through to find the ones worth considering. Time is money to agents and producers -- literally. That's the very reason it's so hard to get their attention. Just ask CE. He's on the hotseat every day.
I'm convinced that a huge part of succeeding in this business revolves around understanding and appreciating the business. There's a lot more to it than simply writing a great script.
I'm also convinced, perhaps naively, that if you create a truly great script, and pay attention to the nuances of the business, you will succeed.
I hope I'm on the verge of proving that, to myself at least.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:01 AM   #14
yvonnjanae

Thanks for explaining it to me.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb
yvonnjanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:13 PM   #15
ComicBent

This is not a problem.

Listen to what Broughcut advised, above. You can embed the font in your PDF. It will be exactly the same font in the PDF.

I will add that you can write in any program you want, as long as your goal is to produce a PDF. It's different if you intend to share a file later and need to use the same program as someone else.

Go to

http://www.primopdf.com

and download the free PDF maker there. It will allow you to embed fonts, if you do not already have a program that does that. You may be currently using a PDF "writer" instead of a true PDF maker that allows font embedding.

EDIT TO ADD: If you know how to use Word well, you can even include the title page in your document without messing up the page numbering when you create the PDF.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #16
kidcharlemagne

BC and CB are right. A friend kept sending me scripts that got converted to Ariel on my machine. It looked horrible.

We needed to solve the problem because I had to send his script to an agent. Embedding the font solved the problem.

And yes, .pdf is the norm. I rarely get a request for a hard copy these days. Financiers, producers, sales agents, casting directors, directors etc - mostly they all request .pdf.

There are still a few stuffy UK agencies that insist on hard copies but I even managed to convince some of them to accept a .pdf.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:54 PM   #17
ComicBent

And if they like what they see in the PDF, they can always print it out fast on one of their printers, which of course are better than the clunker that you are probably still using (if you are like me).

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:36 PM   #18
jtwg50

Default Re: I followed Broughcut's advice

Thanks to Brough, I downloaded the free PDF program from www.pdf995.com and paid the $19.95 to get an ad-free version. It allows for embedding of the font and combination of two PDFs, allowing me to put the title page in the same document as the text of the script.
I'm now sending out beautiful, perfect PDFs.
Problem solved. Brough does it again.
And DD comes through again. Best money I ever spent.