Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Strada5300
New User

Default BBC --how hard is it to get a submission to them?

I watch as many BBC programs as I can on cable, including Foyle's War and when it was on, Downton Abbey.

I wonder if the lady in charge of BBC films in america,( I forget her name
but she's back on the East Coast,) is the gateway to submissions for BBC series like Foyle's War. Does she influence what they produce in England?I realize that most of the programs are written by English folks but my concept is set in England in 1940.
Strada5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Guinea Pig
User

Default Re: BBC --how hard is it to get a submission to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strada5300 View Post
I watch as many BBC programs as I can on cable, including Foyle's War and when it was on, Downton Abbey.

but she's back on the East Coast,) is the gateway to submissions for BBC series like Foyle's War. Does she influence what they produce in England?I realize that most of the programs are written by English folks but my concept is set in England in 1940.
The BBC has a website dedicated to new/unrepped/unproduced/etc writers.

It's http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/

It's an absolutely fantastic site that offers advice and lots free opportunities.
Plus they have an open script call about twice a year. One of their submission windows is coming up. You can submit a script if you are resident in the UK or Ireland.

You can keep up with such announcements on their Twitter page.
https://twitter.com/bbcwritersroom

If you're resident in the U.S, I don't know what you can do but some of the opportunities mentioned on the writersroom website are not country specific so you should check them out.

Hope his helps!
Guinea Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
The Road Warrior

I had a friend who worked at the time for one of the larger HW prodcos, but she was actually submitting work as a p/t writer to the BBC from L.A.

Now, I don't know how this went, she moved on, but she did it somehow, so perhaps an e-mail via the BBC W-room website is the best way forward.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Banjaxed
User

As mentioned, the BBC writers room is brilliant. They couldn't be any more encouraging when it comes to submitting material to them.
Banjaxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
JoeBanks

as long as you're a resident UK writer. they used to accept from anywhere but since limited it to people actually living there
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #6
SundownInRetreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea Pig View Post
The BBC has a website dedicated to new/unrepped/unproduced/etc writers.

It's http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/

It's an absolutely fantastic site that offers advice and lots free opportunities.
Plus they have an open script call about twice a year. One of their submission windows is coming up. You can submit a script if you are resident in the UK or Ireland.

You can keep up with such announcements on their Twitter page.
https://twitter.com/bbcwritersroom

If you're resident in the U.S, I don't know what you can do but some of the opportunities mentioned on the writersroom website are not country specific so you should check them out.

Hope his helps!
Suprising to see so many good reviews. I could've sworn that they had all kinds of limitations on - like for their academy - such as you have to be a produced writer and what not.

I gotta let you go...

'Cause now you've got to fly
(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
And flowers bloom in your name
SundownInRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
Guinea Pig
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
Suprising to see so many good reviews. I could've sworn that they had all kinds of limitations on - like for their academy - such as you have to be a produced writer and what not.
It varies and depends on the scheme being offered.

But at the very least, you get to submit your original script for professional readers to vet for free.

That can't be a bad thing.
Guinea Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Chief

BBC Films are ****, don't waste your time, there's a reason why British screenwriters aim for American prod co's.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #9
chilldivine
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
It varies from scheme to scheme, some - such as the Writers' Academy - are aimed at already professional writers, but there are plenty that are designed to get people their first read. I got my very first encouraging script report from the Writers' Room, many, many moons ago and absolutely recommend the process to anyone.

That said, the reason that the BBC is so open is that it's supported by UK residents in the form of license fees, and therefore has a mandate to encourage and support new talent. This is why that particular openness is only for UK residents. Anyone outside the UK can query any producer there (you'll find any email address you want if you nose around the website long enough), but it becomes more hit and miss like any blind query as they're not under the same responsibility to foreign writers.
chilldivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
chilldivine
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strada5300 View Post

BBC America have only just started producing themselves, so if you can get something to someone there it wouldn't hurt, but the vast, vast majority of productions are still based in the UK. In fact, I'm reasonably confident that BBC America are more likely to produce US set stuff (with a British twist - I know they have a big historical drama about immigrants in New York in the early 1900s in production at the moment) so I would definitely send anything set in England to a British producer.
chilldivine is offline   Reply With Quote