Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Television
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #131
CthulhuRises
Member
 
CthulhuRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,098
Default Re: True Detectives on HBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tochirta View Post
Y'all got caught up in the hype.

For a show that was supposed to be "The 2nd coming of The Wire", this sh*t was hella weak. From the get-go. I called it. After episode 2, it became obvious that there was nothing special going on. And a few sh*tted on me like I didn't know smart writing when I saw it, lol.

You wanna watch a serial killer/crime show that already took this concept to a whole new level? Watch an anime called Psycho-Pass. You're welcome.

Can I get a Done Deal award or something? LOL. JoeBanks, no candy for you!
Considering the fact that most people don't agree with you, no...
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #132
hscope
Member
 
hscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,865
Default Re: True Detectives on HBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tochirta View Post
Y'all got caught up in the hype.

For a show that was supposed to be "The 2nd coming of The Wire", this sh*t was hella weak. From the get-go. I called it. After episode 2, it became obvious that there was nothing special going on. And a few sh*tted on me like I didn't know smart writing when I saw it, lol.

You wanna watch a serial killer/crime show that already took this concept to a whole new level? Watch an anime called Psycho-Pass. You're welcome.

Can I get a Done Deal award or something? LOL. JoeBanks, no candy for you!
Are you trying to convince others that it's no good, or yourself.

It really is OK not to like True Detective. Really. It's only a TV show.
__________________
TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//
hscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #133
60WordsPerHour
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 403
Default Re: True Detectives on HBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
it sure didn't leave any serial killer cliche out.
I dunno.

I certainly haven't seen ANY backwoods psychopath affect a James Mason persona before.

As for the rest of the criticisms, for my part I found it 8 of the most spellbinding hours of television I've ever seen, but I suppose it's a case of ETTO.
60WordsPerHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #134
Ire
Member
 
Ire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: True Detectives on HBO

Finally watched it (thanks to a free HBO access this week on my cable! So now at least I have joined 2014 culturally.) It was tough to avoid this thread.

I think the series is well done, well executed for the most part. I don't think it's revolutionary, but it certainly captured my interest this week.

Episodes 1-7 were pretty amazing, pretty well done because of Rust Cohle's character. Without him, it would have been a regular "cop hunting serial killer" show. Woody Harrelson's character was well crafted, but seemed like a variation of cop characters that I've seen before. Drinking, philandering and pissing away a decent marriage and a healthy life.

Episode 8 though… I can't damn the whole series for the last episode. I agree with Bunker about the break in the case, while it was technically set up, it seemed forced during episode 8. How it was solved was weak, especially since Cohle had spent years working on the case. It should have been there in the evidence that Cohle collected, but needed Martin's character to point it out. Gilbough and Papania are dropped cold. And finally Cohle's epiphany seemed like forced redemption and the creators/producers wanting a character arc for Cohle.

The Childress' Xanadu fortress seemed almost from a whole other show suggesting supernatural powers at work.

I did myself a favor and didn't watch any of the inside the making of TD. And when I saw the inside of the 8th episode I was thinking yeah, okay. They pulled back the curtain on the yellow king and he's a crazy backwoods killer with a James Mason obsession. And the dolls thing seemed like the art department was let to go crazy. Meh.

One thought I did have was if Errol Childress was able to get inside Rust Cohle's mind or vice versa and a dialogue was to exist between them, they could have set that up earlier in the season.

3.8 stars out of 5 for the season.
__________________
#writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Last edited by Ire : 04-03-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Ire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #135
EJ Pennypacker
Member
 
EJ Pennypacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central NJ/ Suffolk UK
Posts: 2,332
Default Re: True Detectives on HBO

I recently started re-watching the series and the opening credits are masterful. They literally SCREAM information at the audience/viewer and it just makes so much sense now.

Damn, even the creds are amazing.

EJ
EJ Pennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 AM   #136
Jon Jay
Member
 
Jon Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 478
Default Re: True Detectives on HBO

Binge-watched this in two nights over Easter weekend.

I loved it. I'm surprised at some of the criticism being thrown at it - I guess it shows how insanely high the bar is now. I really hope the success of the show leads to more one-author, one-director pieces. Imagine if James Ellroy got to write a 40s set series like this, maybe Fincher directing...

I think the last two episodes pulled a great trick - until then, I'd assumed we'd always be looking back into the past, meaning the present was fixed, was 'safe.' And that was great because you had all the melancholia of seeing these shells as fit young men at the top of their game; but it was also reassuring because you knew they were going to live - during the shoot-outs and fights, you always knew Colhe and Hart were going to survive. So when they moved into the present and stayed there, it was like a twin impact - great, they can get back to doing real detective work, but uh-oh - they can get hurt now. And that finale, clichéd though it was, was one of the scariest things I've sat through since SE7EN.


My only gripe is about the women. It wasn't so much the weak characters - to be honest the show was so laser-focussed on Hart and Cohle that nobody else stood a chance, even the other cops. It was more that every woman seemed to have a problem with fastening their clothes. The second a woman appeared - whatever her role - it was a countdown until she revealed - guess what! There's a Victoria Secret Angel hiding under there!

I like looking at naked women, but after a while it was embarrassing. Make some of them less-than-perfect maybe? Show some naked guys just to prove they exist. Don't always frame sex with the woman on top just because that's the way we get to see the most female nudity. I mean, the woman at the phone shop was a joke - a woman who was a prostitute through most of her teenage years, and is now an anal-friendly, perfect-bodied sex-goddess who instantly falls for the plump charms of 40-something Woody Harrelson... Really? I'm no expert, but I'm guessing after spending your teen years being pounded by red-necks in some backwoods brothel, you wouldn't look quite that perfect.

It's a shame, because aside from any gender-politics issues, it spoiled the drama. It reminded me that this was a TV show, whilst every other frame was sucking me into that world. Hopefully they'll curb this a little in Series Two.
Jon Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #137
Dr. Vergerus
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: True Detectives on HBO

Haha, that's funny: I usually think the bar is pretty low nowadays, especially after it's been declared a Golden Age of TV.

I don't know about the nudity, though. I've said it before here that the female roles in True Detective were mostly tropes (The Wife, The Mistress, The Victim) without much going for them as characters. But nudity? I don't remember that much nudity. The victims were found naked. Both mistresses were naked while having sex with Marty. That's about all I remember.

If you think it was too much and too gratuitous, don't watch Game of Thrones, where nudity and lesbian sex are used as backdrop in every other conversation.

I've watched True Detective and I've read Galveston, and so far there wasn't any well-written female character (not everyone agrees, though) with any real weight in the story (not everyone agrees on this either). Pizzolatto said in an interview that the second season of True Detective would feature very prominent female characters (maybe one of the protagonists?), so we'll have to wait and see.

It's such a waste to have Michelle Monaghan in your show and give her so little to do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #138
CthulhuRises
Member
 
CthulhuRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,098
Default Re: True Detectives on HBO

I kind of take contention with a trope equaling a non well-written character. A non-compelling, character? Fair. But as much as some people seem to take issue with it, some women *are* mistresses. Some women *are* victims. That's real life. Not every woman is a strong, smart, compelling hero. Just like not all men are. That's not to say I wouldn't also enjoy seeing a layered female character (and I think we will next season), but I get kind of tired of this idea that *every* woman *has* to be deep or strong or complex. That's not real life.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 AM   #139
Jon Jay
Member
 
Jon Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 478
Default Re: True Detectives on HBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
I don't know about the nudity, though. I've said it before here that the female roles in True Detective were mostly tropes (The Wife, The Mistress, The Victim) without much going for them as characters. But nudity? I don't remember that much nudity. The victims were found naked. Both mistresses were naked while having sex with Marty. That's about all I remember.

If you think it was too much and too gratuitous, don't watch Game of Thrones, where nudity and lesbian sex are used as backdrop in every other conversation.
I gave up on GoT after the first series as I found everything too gratuitous - it was like some teenage boy showing you his journals.

It wasn't that there was tonnes of nudity, more that it was very one-sided, always shot in a very male-gazey way. And it's funny that in the last episode we hear Lawnmower Man and his sister/wife/whatever having sex, but we don't see it. Because they're gross and overweight and sweaty. If that had been Woody and Victoria Secret do you think the director would have been so coy?

Speaking of GoT, one thing that really impressed me was the depiction of violence in True Detective - I felt when it came it was shocking and nasty, but you never felt like they were enjoying putting it on screen.


As for the trope thing - I agree with Cthulhu, sometimes women are those characters, it reflects a society where women sometimes are relegated to those roles in life. And as I said, the other secondary characters were all tropey - the Captain who just yells at them, Ginger the White Power biker dude etc.

It's just when all the women have to be sexy naked tropes I start to get a bit Really guys? Really..?
Jon Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #140
The Calculator
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Default Re: True Detectives on HBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jay View Post
I gave up on GoT after the first series as I found everything too gratuitous - it was like some teenage boy showing you his journals.

It wasn't that there was tonnes of nudity, more that it was very one-sided, always shot in a very male-gazey way. And it's funny that in the last episode we hear Lawnmower Man and his sister/wife/whatever having sex, but we don't see it. Because they're gross and overweight and sweaty. If that had been Woody and Victoria Secret do you think the director would have been so coy?

Speaking of GoT, one thing that really impressed me was the depiction of violence in True Detective - I felt when it came it was shocking and nasty, but you never felt like they were enjoying putting it on screen.


As for the trope thing - I agree with Cthulhu, sometimes women are those characters, it reflects a society where women sometimes are relegated to those roles in life. And as I said, the other secondary characters were all tropey - the Captain who just yells at them, Ginger the White Power biker dude etc.

It's just when all the women have to be sexy naked tropes I start to get a bit Really guys? Really..?
Actually, in the Director's DVD cut of the final episode, you do get to see Lawnmower Man and his wife getting it on. At times you do indeed turn away, but in the end I thought it was very well lit.
The Calculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker