Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
docgonzo

Default Querying Networks and Studios

Just wondering if anyone has had luck sending queries to network and studio execs. If so, did you treat it any differently than querying reps and prod cos, or was it just a brief query featuring a logline? Thanks!
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #2
D9O9
New User

Default Re: Querying Networks and Studios

I've gotten a few reads.

Funny thing is, they tell you to keep your query letter short and to the point. The most success I ever had was with a 2 page word document (my last one). I got 6 reads out it, which are pending responses. From 250 plus emails. Two were from really big studios.

So, you never know. 95% you'll get ignored.
D9O9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
mixj
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by D9O9 View Post
I've gotten a few reads.

Funny thing is, they tell you to keep your query letter short and to the point. The most success I ever had was with a 2 page word document (my last one). I got 6 reads out it, which are pending responses. From 250 plus emails. Two were from really big studios.

So, you never know. 95% you'll get ignored.
You copy/pasted the .doc into the e-mail? Or attached it? Was it a synopsis of your idea and where it came from etc.?
mixj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
D9O9
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixj View Post
You copy/pasted the .doc into the e-mail? Or attached it? Was it a synopsis of your idea and where it came from etc.?
Copy/pasted, then re-formatted as an email. I wouldn't attach a doc document to an email.

I made it into a short presentation. I put in stuff like why I had chosen the subject matter. Why I thought it was interesting. What was based in truth. What the budget would be. What kind of an actor would be good for the lead. Why it could play good at festivals. What movies was the tone similar to. Things like that.

The best I got from the standard query letter you find in tutorials online and in books was 3 reads. I got 6 doing in "my way". Not saying it is the better way, just that there aren't any rules. If you don't like what other people are telling you to do, try it your way.

Either way most query letters are regarded as spam, so most aren't even read. I've put in posters, used crm software etc to track how many of the emails I have sent out have actually been opened. I can tell you that in my experience out of 300 emails I have sent during a "query blast", less than 20% are actually opened and less than 5% are replied to. Some of the replies have included nonsensical reviews from people that obviously haven't even read the whole script.

So, don't get your hopes, but try. It doesn't cost anything.
D9O9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
mixj
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by D9O9 View Post
Copy/pasted, then re-formatted as an email. I wouldn't attach a doc document to an email.

I made it into a short presentation. I put in stuff like why I had chosen the subject matter. Why I thought it was interesting. What was based in truth. What the budget would be. What kind of an actor would be good for the lead. Why it could play good at festivals. What movies was the tone similar to. Things like that.

The best I got from the standard query letter you find in tutorials online and in books was 3 reads. I got 6 doing in "my way". Not saying it is the better way, just that there aren't any rules. If you don't like what other people are telling you to do, try it your way.

Either way most query letters are regarded as spam, so most aren't even read. I've put in posters, used crm software etc to track how many of the emails I have sent out have actually been opened. I can tell you that in my experience out of 300 emails I have sent during a "query blast", less than 20% are actually opened and less than 5% are replied to. Some of the replies have included nonsensical reviews from people that obviously haven't even read the whole script.

So, don't get your hopes, but try. It doesn't cost anything.
Would you mind letting me read what you sent and telling me more about the crm software? Does that work with Gmail? I'd love to know if my emails even got opened. You can PM me if you don't want to post it here. I'd appreciate a look.
mixj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixj View Post
Would you mind letting me read what you sent and telling me more about the crm software? Does that work with Gmail? I'd love to know if my emails even got opened. You can PM me if you don't want to post it here. I'd appreciate a look.
I'm definitely curious to know about the crm software as well.

Very interesting take on querying. Not sure I'll try it, but it's good to know something else worked. I've done something similar when querying managers, but instead of a script I pitched myself as a writer. Said what I was interested in writing and briefly described some of the scripts in my arsenal. It actually worked, but that may have been because I write TV and having more than one script is important.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote