Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Basics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #11
jonpiper

Default Re: How to write...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneducatedFan View Post
Lots of good info above. Here is how the recent Oscar winning "Call Me By Your Name" did it in one scene (there are a couple like this throughout the screenplay):

Code:
EXT. LIME TREES - PERLMAN VILLA - AFTERNOON Another day. ELIO is sitting at his usual table under the lime trees, working. From where he's sitting, Elio can see PERLMAN and OLIVER through an open window in his father's study. They are discussing Oliver’s manuscript on Heraclithus. Elio tries to listen. PERLMAN I think your insights here are persuasive, but.. OLIVER Go on, I’m okay with criticism. PERLMAN You are? Good. I think this needs firming up. It feels like you need to accept the paradoxical nature of this philosopher’s thinking, not just explain it.. ANCHISE approaches Elio, carrying a large fish wrapped up in a t-shirt, which he uncovers for Elio. ... the fish Anchise caught.
I wonder how the scene is actually presented on screen. Does the following happen?

Do we first see Elio sitting under the tree.

Then see him watching Perlman and Oliver through the open window some distance away.

Then we enter the room and watch and listen to Perlman and Oliver for the remainder. If we, the audience, enter the room shouldn't the heading change to INT. STUDY - AFTERNOON at this point?
jonpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #12
UneducatedFan
Regular

I think it's all filmed from OUTSIDE, not POV per se' but from the perspective of where Elio is sitting/observing. I don't remember it exactly.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #13
jonpiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneducatedFan View Post
I think it's all filmed from OUTSIDE, not POV per se' but from the perspective of where Elio is sitting/observing. I don't remember it exactly.
Thanks. It will be interesting to see if and how that was accomplished when I watch the movie.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:20 AM   #14
jonpiper

Okay, I checked out the dvd from Redbox and just watched it.

The scene in question was apparently changed in production from the screenplay, because Oliver and Perlman are not in a room but are sitting outside not far from Elio. We see Elio at the table under a lime tree and in the background see and hear Oliver and Perlman in barely audible conversation.

Definitely no need for another scene heading for that. The director cheated. LOL.