Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #41
finalact4

Default Re: Nicholl 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
2018 Nicholl Screenwriting Awards: The speaker’s introduction is excellent, and the awardee’s speech is moving.

Go Into The Story Interview: Wenonah Wilms: Good words on screenwriting by which to abide.

Creative Screenwriting.” — An article worth the read.

(happily disregard all instances where article author Brianne Logan confuses the past tense of the verb “to lead” with a malleable, toxic metal, atomic number 82, symbol “Pb” or “Plumbum”)

Sage advice for anyone writing to enter the Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting competition.
very moving. you made me cry, girl. i'm from a small town about 90 min from Minneapolis. i'm so happy for you, wenonah. your grandmother is proud of you, too!
Old 03-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #42
wenonah

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
very moving. you made me cry, girl. i'm from a small town about 90 min from Minneapolis. i'm so happy for you, wenonah. your grandmother is proud of you, too!

Thank you! I freaking cry when I watch that video too, haha! I've never in my whole life been so nervous. I'm one of those people that would choose death over public speaking but knew that I was honoring my grandmother and that gave me the courage. Very surreal. I'm also terrible at interviews and it's been totally hard to put myself out there in that way. I don't feel like I have anything special to say and I'm the queen of "foot in mouth" syndrome but I understand it's part of the deal at this point. I'm most happy just putting my head down and writing and leaving the phone unanswered.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #43
catcon

Let's let Wenonah get back to work, and bring this thread back on track:

I just sank $62 (the $45 entrance fee, plus the conversion for my sad Canadian dollar up here) for a single submission.

I have a detailed database that, for regular submissions, counts UP the days (1, 2, 3... eg. 107 now, for my subs to MonkeyPaw last November), and counts DOWN the days for contest-type submissions. To do that, I needed an announcement date, so I put July-22-19 as the possible quarter-finalist announcement. (Nicholl is typically bit earlier than their professed July-30 broadcast.)

Thus, for this sorry database record, it presently displays -137 and will hereafter count all... the... way... down... to -2, -1, 0.

Ain't technology a great distraction, though?

Last edited by catcon : 03-09-2019 at 09:52 AM.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #44
catcon

They recently posted two 'reminders' of the next deadline... I wonder if they're getting as many submissions as usual (around 7000, by the May deadline)?

There does appear to be a scarcity of Reader Comments on the FB page, this time around. Maybe about ten so far.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #45
JaGra
User

As for the type of scripts that do better in this contest,

-female protagonist who struggles against an oppressive, male dominated society.
-pro #metoo #timesup
-may be kind of boring but speaks to important ‘social issues’ (liberal leaning)

It didn’t used to be this way befor the current Program Director Swicord took over. It used to be about screenwriting talent, now Swicord turned it into a social issues contest and she even states, screenwriting ability is not the number 1 criteria.

The Nicholl website says for years submissions have been 70/30 male/female. But in recent years the winners have been 80/20 female/male. Most of the winning scripts are the types of movies that are ‘socially important’, but not the types of movies audiences line up to go see because they’re awesome.

I guarantee this years winners will be mostly female protagonist stories and most by female writers, tuning the fact of 70/30 male/female submissions upside down. They gets not a dime from me. I write stuff the masses actually want to see.
JaGra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #46
winter dreams

Greg Beal no longer in charge?
winter dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #47
catcon

He got fed up with this:

Mountain of Work

And retired a few years ago!
Old 04-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #48
acquaformosa
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaGra View Post

-female protagonist who struggles against an oppressive, male dominated society.
-pro #metoo #timesup
-may be kind of boring but speaks to important ‘social issues’ (liberal leaning)

It didn’t used to be this way befor the current Program Director Swicord took over. It used to be about screenwriting talent, now Swicord turned it into a social issues contest and she even states, screenwriting ability is not the number 1 criteria.

The Nicholl website says for years submissions have been 70/30 male/female. But in recent years the winners have been 80/20 female/male. Most of the winning scripts are the types of movies that are ‘socially important’, but not the types of movies audiences line up to go see because they’re awesome.

I guarantee this years winners will be mostly female protagonist stories and most by female writers, tuning the fact of 70/30 male/female submissions upside down. They gets not a dime from me. I write stuff the masses actually want to see.
You recite a lot of numbers and make some fairly sweeping statements, but I'd be curious to see this quote from Swicord if you have it at your fingertips. Otherwise, given that she's only been in charge for one year, that's quite an fast transformation.

Regarding "in recent years the winners have been 80/20 female/male":
I did a rather fast unscientific perusal of the winners since 2012 and the breakdown seemed to be more 50/50, including last year (Swicord's first year as director) where the total among the finalists was 6 men and 5 women (one team was a female/male writing partner) though the winners were: 3 women/2 men (for four scripts).
acquaformosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #49
JaGra
User

Not sure exactly when Swicord took over for Gale Anne Hurd but Swicord was Chair in 2015
https://www.oscars.org/news/screenwr...riting-secrets

“...we’re not even really seeking scripts. We’re seeking interesting writers...people who may not have nailed screenwriting...”
https://youtu.be/_v6ulCO9N-M

There’s longer version of video on Nicholl website, or at least there was. If they are more focused on writers who have something important to say than they are on the craft of screenwriting, why not make it an essay, or fiction writing contest?

Well I’m not going to go back and forth with you on this especially since you didn’t even do enough research on your own to know Swicord was the Chair for more than one year. Let’s just see what happens this year. It’s going to be #metoo up the wazooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquaformosa View Post
You recite a lot of numbers and make some fairly sweeping statements, but I'd be curious to see this quote from Swicord if you have it at your fingertips. Otherwise, given that she's only been in charge for one year, that's quite an fast transformation.

Regarding "in recent years the winners have been 80/20 female/male":
I did a rather fast unscientific perusal of the winners since 2012 and the breakdown seemed to be more 50/50, including last year (Swicord's first year as director) where the total among the finalists was 6 men and 5 women (one team was a female/male writing partner) though the winners were: 3 women/2 men (for four scripts).
JaGra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #50
UpandComing

Quote:

-pro #metoo #timesup
Do you have actual evidence of this? Because I've found people often spout out "facts" like these without performing any kind of actual analysis. We're all happy to see any numbers.

Quote:

Most of the winning scripts are the types of movies that are ‘socially important’, but not the types of movies audiences line up to go see because they’re awesome.
I watched the video link you provided. In it, Robin says that craft is indeed important; however, the most important thing to the Nicholl is not "perfection" in craft. She emphasizes three things the Nicholl is looking for: stories that are original, stories that are thought-provoking, and stories that "encompass the full spectrum of all human behavior" (direct quote).

So, it appears that their criteria includes a mix of craft and powerful story (there is no reference to "social issues" in her speech). I'm pretty sure this has always been Nicholl's mission. And I don't see what's wrong with it, as a script could have all the craft in the world and still feel meaningless.

There are a million screenwriting contests out there, many of which prioritize more commercial stories. You're free to enter those. You don't have to denigrate the Nicholl just because you don't agree with its mission.