Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #341
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
it's gone up.

$30/month X 12 (that's how many months are in a year, you know just in case) X # of years.

$75 a read X 2 = $150

so if you're on the top list, have a reader recommend and are on the featured script page you might invest in a year...

$510 -- but, you're not gonna stop at two like you should, because the next two reviews you get are free and they'll be lower, and maybe they'll be a 2 point spread, so they'll offer you a read for each at a discounted price of $40/ea. so that's an additional $80. then after the quarter is up you're on the yearly list, but you know the default is "quarter," so you just might be "smart" enough to buy two more to see if you can get back on the QUARTER list only to be hit with a wildcard 2. do you see the pattern? i'm not saying this happens all the time, but it could.

now you're north of $690.00

don't even go there, i know, i know...
So can you go month to month? So you host 1 month, get 2 reviews and pay $180 like I think Up/Coming said he does?

I surely see a pattern...
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #342
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,300
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
So can you go month to month? So you host 1 month, get 2 reviews and pay $180 like I think Up/Coming said he does?

I surely see a pattern...
yes, month to month, but more than $180, because the reviews can take 3 weeks of the 4 week hosting period. so you might have to pay for an additional month most likely. a lot of writers will do one review, if it's good pay for the second, so 2 months min. if a review goes past the 3 weeks you'll get a free month.

if you get 8s and above you'll be offered free reads.

if you have a two point swing you'll be offered a discounted eval that you have to pay for. $10 off.
__________________
My opinions are just that... opinions.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #343
figment
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 896
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
As far as I know, a script needs two very high scores on the Nicholls to get a third read. Only the high end of the top 20% were read three times this year. I made the top 20% but only got two reads.
I had three total reads -- but only two were positive. Here's what mine said:

Some good news: your script placed among the Top 15% of all entries, meaning that it received two good scores but fell short of the total needed to advance to the Quarterfinal Round. Most Top 15% scripts were read three times; some were read only twice.

That makes it as clear as... mud.

Regardless, congrats on your two positive reads. No easy feat.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #344
gregbeal
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 813
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
I had three total reads -- but only two were positive. Here's what mine said:

Some good news: your script placed among the Top 15% of all entries, meaning that it received two good scores but fell short of the total needed to advance to the Quarterfinal Round. Most Top 15% scripts were read three times; some were read only twice.

That makes it as clear as... mud.

Regardless, congrats on your two positive reads. No easy feat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
As far as I know, a script needs two very high scores on the Nicholls to get a third read. Only the high end of the top 20% were read three times this year. I made the top 20% but only got two reads.
Unless things have changed, this is how Nicholl first round reading works:

Every script is read twice. Those scripts receiving at least one strong positive score (typically the cut-off is 80 or just above 80) are read a third time.

For instance, let's say the strong positive read cut-off for a given year is 80. That means all scripts receiving an 80 as one of their first two reads will receive a third read, no matter what the second score is. If a script does not receive at least one 80, it will only be read twice.

The best two scores of the three reads are used to determine the quarterfinalist scripts.

In this example, it would be possible for a top 10% script to garner scores such as 78-78 and not receive a third read.

It would be possible for a top 20% script to be read three times with scores such as 80-65-60 (though most top 20% scripts would only receive two reads with scores similar to 73-72).
gregbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #345
Friday
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 523
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

So, what's the minimum amount you can spend on the Blacklist and still get a good result?



I am not too clear on all the jargon about quarterly lists, waiting for your review, while hosting.... Wouldn't you only host if you get an 8 or above and just do it for a few months? For anything below, you just discontinue?



Other questions, people who haven't used the blacklist are: Who's downloading your scripts? Sometimes, you don't want to approach someone who might have already read your script anonymously on the Blacklist. Also, for the top contests, if you do really well in one top contests, usually you'll land in another top contest. What's the consistency of a high contest placer doing well on the Blacklist? Just trying to get a gauge of their judging.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #346
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

1 to 100 seems a lot smarter than 1 to 10 to me...
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #347
JoeNYC
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,297
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
no, joe, that is not what i said. you missed the point, again. the point was the disparity between the 9 and the 3 not the 3 in and of itself. if i get all 3s that's fine. that's not what i'm disputing.
finalact4, you keep saying I miss your point, I miss your point. I think the problem is that you don't know what your point is. I gave my opinion on the disparity between 9 and the 3, which you had issue with also.

I think you just look for any reason to type "War and Peace" type of posts.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #348
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
finalact4, you keep saying I miss your point, I miss your point. I think the problem is that you don't know what your point is. I gave my opinion on the disparity between 9 and the 3, which you had issue with also.

I think you just look for any reason to type "War and Peace" type of posts.
I have no idea what your point is either Joe.

9-3 = 6, does that solve anything?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #349
JoeNYC
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,297
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I have no idea what your point is either Joe.
Usually you're a funny dude, Bono, but I'm not finding you very funny right now.

Point: Subjectivity.

Don't automatically assume the reviewer is not component, or the scoring criteria is flawed. I don't know why none of this was not comprehensible.

Maybe I'm not as articulate as I thought.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #350
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
Usually you're a funny dude, Bono, but I'm not finding you very funny right now.

Point: Subjectivity.

Don't automatically assume the reviewer is not component, or the scoring criteria is flawed. I don't know why none of this was not comprehensible.

Maybe I'm not as articulate as I thought.
I don't always make jokes -- just ask Up and Coming...

I agree on that -- I'm saying FA4 I think was arguing something else...

I was saying, "Why are you upset that she doesn't agree with you?" You guys rarely agree.

Have you been writing when you're not here, Joe? I hope so.

Between fighting on this thread, I wrote 6 pages in an hour.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker