X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Franklin Leonard

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
    "completely and unfairly mischaracterized-

sc111, this isn't the first time you have accused me of "mischaracterizing- an opinion of another. You've done it in the logline thread, Gucci's pages thread and others.

It didn't matter to you that there were other members saying the same thing as me.

In this thread, Jeff Lowell pointed out how finalact4's opinion was off, considering the benefits she received using The Black List as one of the roads to gain attention and break into the industry.

finalact4's opinion was that it's a "CRAP SHOOT- in getting a competent TBL reader.

I asked her what research she did to come to this conclusion, because the man that actually has the figures, Franklin, says the times where there was a wide range of difference in the rating is 4% of all the reviews.

finalact4 accused me of denying her right to her opinion, but I was only giving my own opinion on the topic and what she said about it. Just like the way she gave her opinions on my opinions.

sc111, you say about me, "You are the epitome of exhausting! Going on and on and on whenever anyone disagrees with you on even the most minute detail.-

The serious things that I've been accused of by you and finalact4, I don't consider a "minute detail.-

Facts: Not counting the ton of posts finalact4 has made in this thread, but just mine directed at her, it's 5. She's directed 7 posts at me.

5? 5, sc111. You consider this exhausting in a thread with 38 pages and 379 posts?

You're accusing me of bullshit? No, the only one who smells around here is you.
    Oy-Freaking-Vey squared.
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

38 pages? This thread really doesn't want to die, does it?

Comment

It's the Predator of threads. Just when you think it's forgotten, another reboot comes around the corner. I am waiting for this to reach a thousand pages.

Comment

Hey guys, don't post if you're not saying something that might start a fight, okay? This isn't page 18... this is page 39!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            Hey guys, don't post if you're not saying something that might start a fight, okay? This isn't page 18... this is page 39!

How dare you say such a thing. I am super offended by this comment.

And I'm not just making the comment to push the page count to 40.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              Lick my ass you dipshit.

Sorry. That didn't feel right.

Comment

Originally posted by nguyensquared View Post
                38 pages? This thread really doesn't want to die, does it?

It would only be 6 pages if we took out all the comments from people complaining about how long it is.

Comment

I'm thinking the wannabe screenwriter game mimics the SF and Yukon gold rushes in the sense that the number of people getting rich selling services to the "miners" is higher than the number of people pulling nuggets out of the ground.

Maybe I should become a "screenwriting guru" and write a how-to book called Save The Dolphin. Who gives a **** that I'm not a pro and have no credits? I won $2k in a contest once and wrote two episodes of student-produced local access variety shows. That's enough.

On the topic of my low-value advice, these days I view the BL as a grimy, exploitative scheme selling the dream of access at inflated rates. They're Tartuffe with their hand in your pockets, masquerading as your friend. The irony to me is that the scripts that stand to benefit most from the BL don't really need the BL because if they're that exceptional then they can attract attention through any number of channels that don't involve exorbitant reading and hosting fees.

It seems like Franklin Leonard is about as much of a "friend" to writers as a tapeworm would be.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                    Lick my ass you dipshit.
                    Doc gets me.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                      Oy-Freaking-Vey squared.
                      +1 X10 to the power of 10.
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post
                        I'm thinking the wannabe screenwriter game mimics the SF and Yukon gold rushes in the sense that the number of people getting rich selling services to the "miners" is higher than the number of people pulling nuggets out of the ground.

Maybe I should become a "screenwriting guru" and write a how-to book called Save The Dolphin. Who gives a **** that I'm not a pro and have no credits? I won $2k in a contest once and wrote two episodes of student-produced local access variety shows. That's enough.

On the topic of my low-value advice, these days I view the BL as a grimy, exploitative scheme selling the dream of access at inflated rates. They're Tartuffe with their hand in your pockets, masquerading as your friend. The irony to me is that the scripts that stand to benefit most from the BL don't really need the BL because if they're that exceptional then they can attract attention through any number of channels that don't involve exorbitant reading and hosting fees.

It seems like Franklin Leonard is about as much of a "friend" to writers as a tapeworm would be.
                        Lol. I like this post.

Comment

I'm going to write two books and start a blog people have to pay to read because I have even less success.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I'm going to partner with the black list. That's the ticket.

Page forty.

Comment

The irony to me is that the scripts that stand to benefit most from the BL don't really need the BL because if they're that exceptional then they can attract attention through any number of channels that don't involve exorbitant reading and hosting fees.
                            I believe TBL is a valid, available road for some niche screenplays. For a writer to get read requests through a query it would require, usually, a unique high concept. For a non-commercial script it would require some type of heat, such as, a finalist, or win in big contests, or maybe a 9 rating from TBL.

Sometimes producers look at TBL to find that genre gem, where maybe there's a thriller that's low budget, but it's commercial potential would appeal to a studio.

If the writer has the funds, then I suggest for him to use every road available to him to find his way to Hollywood. If a writer is low on funds, then I suggest to research to decide which roads would be the best to travel for his type of vehicle.
                            Last edited by JoeNYC; 09-15-2019, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Yes, this is my take on it. I used the service a few times more out of curiosity than anything. The feedback was all over the place, the readers are obviously very young and rushed, and it's clear the main benefit is FL's pocket.

But I will say that a couple reviews I received were really insightful. I'm a WGA caucus member, so I receive a discount on the BL service, which makes it cheaper. Still, I don't think I'll use the service again.

When I get notes, my first stop is my writing group, then friends and family. Once I burn them out, then my next stop is paid people. There are three that I use, two of them have listings here and are top notch. Their notes end up being cheaper than the BL if you factor in the hosting costs and the feedback is way better. So that's the route I'll continue to use.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                                When I get notes, my first stop is my writing group, then friends and family. Once I burn them out, then my next stop is paid people. There are three that I use, two of them have listings here and are top notch. Their notes end up being cheaper than the BL if you factor in the hosting costs and the feedback is way better. So that's the route I'll continue to use.
                                I like your feedback process, but...

I keep hearing this a lot. Writers using the Black List for feedback. I do not suggest using TBL for feedback. I suggest once a writer believes his script is as strong as it can be, to use TBL as one of the avenues to market his screenplay -- if financially able.

Of course, this means scoring a ranking of 8, 9, 10. Just like when a writer enters a contest, he's looking to score a semifinalist, finalist, or win in a big competition to gain vetting and credibility in marketing his screenplay.

Yes, contests run $35 to $100 and hosting on TBL can get expensive. A writer doesn't have to host to market his screenplay. If I remember right, his logline would go out in an e-mail to TBL industry members.

Also, just like a contest, whether or not a reader believes your script is a 8, 9, 10, is subjective.

Comment

Working...
                                X