Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2019, 12:36 AM   #1
JoeBanks
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,965
Default The Goldfinch

i loved Donna Tartt's novel. i understand it is challenging source material to adapt into a feature film (sprawling bildungsroman about a boy and his pilfered painting). but man does this thing miss the mark on just about every level. so badly that it made me totally reconsider whether i should have even liked the book in the first place. as much of a page-turner that odyssey was for me, this was like watching paint(ing) dry for 2 and 1/2 hours. you'd think that they might get even one thing right or at least true to the spirit of the novel but nope. it's all just bad.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
lostfootage
Member
 
lostfootage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 497
Default Re: The Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
i loved Donna Tartt's novel. i understand it is challenging source material to adapt into a feature film (sprawling bildungsroman about a boy and his pilfered painting). but man does this thing miss the mark on just about every level. so badly that it made me totally reconsider whether i should have even liked the book in the first place. as much of a page-turner that odyssey was for me, this was like watching paint(ing) dry for 2 and 1/2 hours. you'd think that they might get even one thing right or at least true to the spirit of the novel but nope. it's all just bad.
I think I'll skip this one! Your summary parallels the reviews I've read.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
Friday
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 668
Default Re: The Goldfinch

When I saw the trailer, I had no idea what this one was about. Something about a stolen painting; his mom killed in an explosions. A bunch of arty shots. But, I'll check it out this week because I think that's how long it's going to stay there based on the box office.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:43 AM   #4
bioprofessor
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,529
Default Re: The Goldfinch

Watched this in flight. A good lesson for what happens when writers/filmmakers fail to cut excess exposition. I hit the stop button somewhere over the Appalachians.
bioprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
lostfootage
Member
 
lostfootage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 497
Default Re: The Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioprofessor View Post
Watched this in flight. A good lesson for what happens when writers/filmmakers fail to cut excess exposition. I hit the stop button somewhere over the Appalachians.
Next time I fly, I may check it out just to see how far I get before giving up. I do like watching movies that don't work (when they had the skill, budget, talent to work) to see where they went awry. I'll probably get to over the Sierras. (I live in SF.)
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #6
bioprofessor
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,529
Default Re: The Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfootage View Post
Next time I fly, I may check it out just to see how far I get before giving up. I do like watching movies that don't work (when they had the skill, budget, talent to work) to see where they went awry. I'll probably get to over the Sierras. (I live in SF.)
Do report back. For me, the opening two minutes raised a red flag.
bioprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #7
Friday
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 668
Default Re: The Goldfinch

There are a few interesting parts, but you have to wade through a lot to get there.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker