Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
Dreamwitch
New User

Talking Greyline Entertainment

Hey All!

A newbee here. Does anyone know anything about Greyline Entertainment? Response time ect?

Thanks!
Dreamwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:36 AM   #2
sasqits
Regular

Default Re: Greyline Entertainment

Don't know much about them but I sent them a simple email query. They responded three months later to say they weren't interested.
sasqits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:42 AM   #3
LadyLuxor
User

They requested a treatment for my thriller back in July....they said it would take six to eight weeks for a response...So far, I haven't heard a word from them...think I'll give them a call.
LadyLuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
Dreamwitch
New User

Thanks for the feed back!

Old 11-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
BROUGHCUT

I think it's a silent "n". Where does the company advertise? Check the trades etc, you won't find them mentioned anywhere (except on this board). Best avoided I think.
BROUGHCUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
TDWoj

I found a website for them - www.greyline.net. They have a submission form the like of which I have never seen before, which is so full of legalese, I'm not sure what the unfortunate screenwriter is giving away or waiving in terms of his rights. One particularly obfuscating paragraph devolves into my understanding that they can use your submission as a basis to give to another writer to develop, and because you, silly person that you are, signed this document, you don't have the right to squeak about it, nyah, nyah, nyah. Well, that's what it looked like to me, although if there's a lawyerly type lurking about this board, perhaps he/she can translate it into plain English.
TDWoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:06 AM   #7
jcwrites
New User

this has come up before and yes they are legit but most of their work is done with books/publishing. as for the release stuff, the way it reads says that the writer understands that they might have works in development that may be similiar to works you submit, which is pretty standard in my experience.
jcwrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #8
Dreamwitch
New User

Thanks jcwrites!

Old 11-04-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
BROUGHCUT

The "motion picture lit" operation is a little shy of legit if the company overview is anything to go by, it is complete nonsense from start to finish. Also, there are oddities such as not giving feedback (even by email) on SOLICITED scripts if there is no SAE included. They have been mentioned on Absolute write and are literary managers of unknown success, not agents or producers.

This thread may prove useful:

http://tinyurl.com/an3jz

The release is over zealous and imprecisely worded in their favour:

"I further acknowledge that at this time you have no intent to compensate me in anyway and I have no expectation of receiving any compensation"

and

"I hereby waive and agree that I will never make any claim or demand or bring any action against you in connection with the use of the Material."

Releases usually attempt to indemnify companies from claims arising from the use of similar or even "identical" material which is nonetheless distinct from the actual submitted script.

It appears to be an unfair clause and, if you have registered your copyright, probably completely toothless--use of the material in these circumstances would be copyright infringement. Still, I would think carefully before signing anything like this if you have a high concept script and certainly do not do so if you are sending a synopsis or written pitch for consideration.

Ideas can't be copyrighted, but can be protected by contract law if a submission is made on the mutual understanding that you will be adequately compensated if an idea is used.

Both the quoted parts of this release dispense with this basic concept and could negate any implied contract that could be argued to exist between a writer and professional producer.

Releases like this can not always be avoided, but you should at least factor in the credibility of the company before signing.

The flipside is that an outfit like this one probably can't do anything with material they actually own or represent. The danger is not in them stealing material and profiting from it, but over-shopping and having it passed on.

If I were to follow this path (and I wouldn't), I would be less concerned about the release than ensuring that the company didn't take out the script without a strict shopping agreement in place.

At the end of the day, though, it all comes back to the credibility and trustworthiness of the company. A shopping agreement is just a piece of paper and (unless they are a WGA sig), like this release form, not especially enforceable.
BROUGHCUT is offline   Reply With Quote